GUI for manipulation of plain text input files
Author Message
 GUI for manipulation of plain text input files

Hi!

In strict sense this is not a fortran question.
Still, I think this platform is not fully inappropriate.

Most of my FORTRAN programs read a set of ASCII input files.
These ASCII files specify the run: domain boundaries,
date/time, output filenames, run-directory, timestep, etc.
Is there a simple GUI-based way to manipulate the
fields in such input files? Nothing fancy, just
some editable strings/values and logicals.
Plus a botton that would lead to the creation of
an ASCII-file with the just given values on its lines.
We currently use the same full-blown GIS-package
that interprets the output of my program, but I hope
the input can be done easier and better portable
from linux to Windows-XP. Preferably something that
does not need 40 other packages to be installed...

Suggestions?

A.

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:50:03 GMT
 GUI for manipulation of plain text input files

Quote:
> Hi!

> In strict sense this is not a fortran question.
> Still, I think this platform is not fully inappropriate.

> Most of my FORTRAN programs read a set of ASCII input files.
> These ASCII files specify the run: domain boundaries,
> date/time, output filenames, run-directory, timestep, etc.
> Is there a simple GUI-based way to manipulate the
> fields in such input files? Nothing fancy, just
> some editable strings/values and logicals.
> Plus a botton that would lead to the creation of
> an ASCII-file with the just given values on its lines.
> We currently use the same full-blown GIS-package
> that interprets the output of my program, but I hope
> the input can be done easier and better portable
> from linux to Windows-XP. Preferably something that
> does not need 40 other packages to be installed...

> Suggestions?

> A.

Have a look at Tcl/Tk - http://wiki.tcl.tk/

It is platform-independent and making GUIs is dead easy.
(See also: http://tkdocs.com/ for a nice introduction)

If you use the tclkit technology, you can create a single
executable (well, one for each platform you need) and
installing is a matter of copying that single file.

Regards,

Arjen

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:56:23 GMT

1. Printing Plain Text Files

2. Files (plain text)

3. Reading plain text file database tables

4. Simple text file manipulation

5. text file manipulation

6. Manipulation of selected text in text widget

7. Text file input similar to VHDL read procedure

8. integer input from text file

9. Text file input/output

10. using standard input as other than a text file

11. using standard input as a non text file

12. Parsing Text Input Files