Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization
Author Message
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

    I've been having a little exchange on another newsgroup
about what is, and is not, the single, international, fortran
standard and when the various standards (F90, F95) were approved.
But I realized I've been pulling dates out of the top of my head
without having a reliable reference to back them up. :-(

    If one of the past or present J3 members (or anyone else
suitably knowledgeable) would be so kind, I'd like to know the
following:

        1) When was Fortran 90 approved as an ISO standard?
          a) Did ANSI approve it at the same time?
          b) When did ANSI _withdraw_ the Fortran 77 standard?

        2) When was Fortran 95 approved?
          a) Was it, by then, the single, international Fortran
              standard, or was ANSI still holding onto F77?

        3) Where are we in the "F2K3" standardization process?
          a) Assuming F2K3 goes forward without any major
              roadblocks, when could we expect it to be
             officially approved?

     Thanks very much, Ken
--
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who:   kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:32:54 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

> But I realized I've been pulling dates out of the top of my head
> without having a reliable reference to back them up. :-(

See http://www.j3-fortran.org/

Quote:
>    1) When was Fortran 90 approved as an ISO standard?

1991.

Quote:
>    2) When was Fortran 95 approved?

1997.

Quote:
>    3) Where are we in the "F2K3" standardization process?
>      a) Assuming F2K3 goes forward without any major
>               roadblocks, when could we expect it to be
>         officially approved?

It was officially approved in 2004.

Sorry, no idea about the ANSI stuff.

--
Janne Blomqvist

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:01:08 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

> Sorry, no idea about the ANSI stuff.

> --

F90 also became ANSI X3.198-1992, killing F77 for all time.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:11:53 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization
Hi,

Just a bit of explanation.

The dates in the informal names (Fortran 90 et al.)
are the dates the content is fixed.

The dates in the formal name (ISO/IEC 1539-2004 Programming
Languages Fortran) is the date the standardization process
finally runs it's course.  That's a couple of ballots later.

Ask Richard (or maybe not) about "the process"  ;-)

Quote:

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:36:18 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization
As editor of f95 and f2003, I probably should know the answers for them.
:-) Though you might (or might not) be surprised at how deeply some
parts dissapear into the bowels of the ISO bureaucracy to the extent
that not even the editor or convenor can find them. That's been
complained about by both the editor and convenor. :-(

F77/F90 I'm a little shakier on.

Quote:

>       1) When was Fortran 90 approved as an ISO standard?

The formal publication date was in 1991. I don't have the exact day
handy. To my knowledge, there isn't any other single date that counts as
when it was "approved". There are many stages of approval. Though I
could be wrong, I do not believe that there is formally such a thing as
an approval date. The publication date is what counts, so my answers are
based on that.

Quote:
>         a) Did ANSI approve it at the same time?

No. I don't have the exact date handy, but it was substantially later. I
see that Mike dug out the year as 1992, but I think it might have even
been over a year between the exact dates in 1991 and 1992 for ISO vs
ANSI approval.

Quote:
>         b) When did ANSI _withdraw_ the Fortran 77 standard?

Oh. I'd have to research that one. I'm not convinced that Mike's answer
of 1992 is correct. (Though Mike is awfully knowledgable and I'm not
going to flat out say he is wrong either). I thought I recalled some
"hack" whereby F90 got the X3.198 number specifically so that it did not
necessarily replace X3.9-1978 (f77).

Quote:
>       2) When was Fortran 95 approved?

Now we are getting into grounds where I can be a little more confident.
My official copy shows a publication date of 15 December 1977.

Quote:
>         a) Was it, by then, the single, international Fortran
>               standard, or was ANSI still holding onto F77?

Anything about ANSI f77 is independent. I think it had "gone away" well
before then (see question 1b), but it would not have been directly
affected by f95 in any case.

F95 was done as an ANSI "I" project (I think the "I" stood for
international). The essence of "I" project rules was that there was only
a single approval cycle. Approval of the international standard
automatically counts as approval of the US one.

Quote:
>       3) Where are we in the "F2K3" standardization process?

Done. It was officially published on 15 November 2004.

Quote:
>         a) Assuming F2K3 goes forward without any major
>               roadblocks, when could we expect it to be
>            officially approved?

Assuming the normal direction of time travel, see the previouss
question.  :-)

--
Richard Maine                     | Good judgment comes from experience;
org: nasa, domain: gov            |       -- Mark Twain

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:31:58 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

>>      2) When was Fortran 95 approved?

> Now we are getting into grounds where I can be a little more confident.
> My official copy shows a publication date of 15 December 1977.

1977 ?!  Holy Cow!  :o)

Seems some time travelling has already been done.... :o)

cheers,

paulv

p.s. Apologies for pointing it out.

p.p.s. No, really. :o)

--
Paul van Delst

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:45:48 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

> >>      2) When was Fortran 95 approved?

> > Now we are getting into grounds where I can be a little more confident.
> > My official copy shows a publication date of 15 December 1977.

> 1977 ?!  Holy Cow!  :o)

Oops. Thanks (seriously) for pointing it out. Presumably all will
recognize it as wrong, but the correct year might not be quite as
evident. Make that 1997. (The fingers must have doubled the 7 instead of
the 9; they do things like that a lot any more.)

--
Richard Maine                     | Good judgment comes from experience;
org: nasa, domain: gov            |       -- Mark Twain

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:12:58 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:
> Presumably all will recognize it as wrong,

No, we'll have a 6-month-long "discussion" first ;-)

-- g

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:50:52 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

> <snnip>

> >         b) When did ANSI _withdraw_ the Fortran 77 standard?

> Oh. I'd have to research that one. I'm not convinced that Mike's answer
> of 1992 is correct. (Though Mike is awfully knowledgable and I'm not
> going to flat out say he is wrong either). I thought I recalled some
> "hack" whereby F90 got the X3.198 number specifically so that it did not
> necessarily replace X3.9-1978 (f77).
> <snip>

A brief google search confirmed my memory that you are correct.
Although I couldn't identify the exact date of withdrawal, in 1994 a
majority of X3J3 voted to ask ANSI to withdraw the standard, in April
1995 it had still not been withdrawn, but by early 1997 discussions, by
me, indicated it had been withdrawn without giving a date.

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:01:50 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization
[...]

Quote:
>    If one of the past or present J3 members (or anyone else
> suitably knowledgeable) would be so kind, I'd like to know the
> following:

>     1) When was Fortran 90 approved as an ISO standard?
>       a) Did ANSI approve it at the same time?
>       b) When did ANSI _withdraw_ the Fortran 77 standard?

>     2) When was Fortran 95 approved?
>       a) Was it, by then, the single, international Fortran
>              standard, or was ANSI still holding onto F77?

>     3) Where are we in the "F2K3" standardization process?
>       a) Assuming F2K3 goes forward without any major
>              roadblocks, when could we expect it to be
>          officially approved?

     Thanks to Dan, Mike, Richard and Bill for your replies!  I
think I have enough solid info to go on now.  However, I do find it
a bit disconcerting that the official status of ANSI X3.9-1978 (F77)
is unknown.  Does ANSI maintain any sort of web site listing
standards (no, I haven't Googled to check for myself, just asking).

        Thanks again, Ken
--
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who:   kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:18:39 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization
Hello,

The easiest way to learn what's current is to go to the web store
and see what's for sale.

I didn't poke around much, but this appears to be a start
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp

HTH

Quote:

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:27:16 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

>      Thanks to Dan, Mike, Richard and Bill for your replies!  I
> think I have enough solid info to go on now.  However, I do find it
> a bit disconcerting that the official status of ANSI X3.9-1978 (F77)
> is unknown.  Does ANSI maintain any sort of web site listing
> standards (no, I haven't Googled to check for myself, just asking).

A quick Google search on "ANSI X3.9-1978 withdrawn" finds this page,
which appears to list it as withdrawn in 1997:
   http://www.ncits.org/withdrawn.htm

(The same Google search also finds some more-authoritative-looking web
pages that note that it was withdrawn as a FIPS standard in 1998, but
that's not the same thing.)

A bit more googling finds this email exchange from July 1997, in which
ANSI was refusing permission for web publication of the X3.9-1978
Fortran standard due to the fact that it was "outdated and withdrawn":
   ftp://dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG5/1434

- Brooks

Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:33:05 GMT
 Timeline for F90, F95, F2K3 standardization

Quote:

> >      Thanks to Dan, Mike, Richard and Bill for your replies!  I
> > think I have enough solid info to go on now.  However, I do find it
> > a bit disconcerting that the official status of ANSI X3.9-1978 (F77)
> > is unknown.  Does ANSI maintain any sort of web site listing
> > standards (no, I haven't Googled to check for myself, just asking).

> A quick Google search on "ANSI X3.9-1978 withdrawn" finds this page,
> which appears to list it as withdrawn in 1997:
>    http://www.ncits.org/withdrawn.htm

That sounds plausible. I was fairly sure I recalled it being withdrawn
sometime or other. I just didn't think that the withdrawal had been
triggered by the passing of f90 (or f95 for that matter - though the
timing is close, I think they are not directly related). There is a
5-year (I think 5 is the right number) regular cycle of review of
standards (well, thse standards, anyway; I don't know how broad that
is). Every 5 years they are supposed to get either re-affirmed or
withdrawn. I think ANSI f77 got withdrawn at one of those 5-year reviews
rather than by direct replacement.

Note that ISO Fortran 77 is a different matter from ANSI f77. I do think
that Fortran 77 ceased being a current ISO standard with the publication
of f90. They did both use the same ISO number (1539).

--
Richard Maine                     | Good judgment comes from experience;
org: nasa, domain: gov            |       -- Mark Twain

Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:30:19 GMT

1. outer product in f90/f95

2. Problem converting f90-code to f95-code

3. F77 F90 F95 manuals

4. efficiency of f90/f95 array syntax

5. Initialising of allocatable character arrays in f90/f95

6. moving up to f90/f95: automatic arrays, stack limits, etc

7. Differences between f90 and f95.

8. Differences between Lahey F90 and F95

9. F77/F90/F95 implementation of BLAS 2.5

10. support for F90/F95 in SCons

11. GCC F90 or F95?

12. Mailbase List comp-fortran-90 for F90, F95, F2k, HPF