redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file
Author Message
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file

I like to redirect the g77 compiler output into a file under MS DOS
6.22
 I tried it by adding ">output.txt" behind the g77 command in my
Makefile. By running the makefile the ouput.txt file gets created but
is empty. Does anyone know have any ideas how to make this work ?

thanks

Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:43:16 GMT
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file
Quote:

> I like to redirect the g77 compiler output into a file under MS DOS
> 6.22
>  I tried it by adding ">output.txt" behind the g77 command in my
> Makefile. By running the makefile the ouput.txt file gets created but
> is empty. Does anyone know have any ideas how to make this work ?

> thanks

Does MS-DOS have similar redirection syntax to current Windows?
Quote:
> output.txt 2>&1

Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:56:14 GMT
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file

Quote:

> I like to redirect the g77 compiler output into a file under MS DOS
> 6.22
>  I tried it by adding ">output.txt" behind the g77 command in my
> Makefile. By running the makefile the ouput.txt file gets created but
> is empty. Does anyone know have any ideas how to make this work ?

Not really, but sounds like g77 may not be using standard out.

I'd try it at the command line outside the makefile for testing it out,
however, just to eliminate one layer of obfuscation.

You might try ">&" for redirection of both standard out and standard
error and see if that helps any...

--

Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:51:18 GMT
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file

Quote:

> > I like to redirect the g77 compiler output into a file under MS DOS
> > 6.22
> > ?I tried it by adding ">output.txt" behind the g77 command in my
> > Makefile. By running the makefile the ouput.txt file gets created but
> > is empty. Does anyone know have any ideas how to make this work ?

> Not really, but sounds like g77 may not be using standard out.

> I'd try it at the command line outside the makefile for testing it out,
> however, just to eliminate one layer of obfuscation.

> You might try ">&" for redirection of both standard out and standard
> error and see if that helps any...

> --

MS-DOS 6.x DOES do output redirection, but standard error can not be
redirected from the command line without an extra utility.

see the distribution of g77 in the file g77.zip found at the web site:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Note that this g77 is built on (an early) MinGW, so it requires 32 bit
Windows. However it contains a file ETIME.EXE (described in ETIME.TXT)
which allows redirecting standard error output as a side effect. I
belive that the EXE should run on {*filter*} MS-DOS.

Also if the OP is actually running native MS-DOS or 16 bit Windows,
then he is also using an older port of g77 to MS-DOS. This requires a
DOS extender, 3 of which are familiar to me - EMX, RSX and DJGPP
(Delorie).

HTH

[I can't remember under which Windows 9x the various dos extenders
"break", at this point I don't much care....]

-- e

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:15:40 GMT
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file

>> You might try ">&" for redirection of both standard out and standard
>> error and see if that helps any...

> MS-DOS 6.x DOES do output redirection, but standard error can not be
> redirected from the command line without an extra utility.

Leave it to MS... :(

OP might look into the JPSoftware shells for more bliss, maybe? :)

www.jpsoft.com

--

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:26:29 GMT
 redirect g77 under DOS 6.22- need output file

Quote:
> I like to redirect the g77 compiler output into a file under MS DOS
> 6.22
> ?I tried it by adding ">output.txt" behind the g77 command in my
> Makefile. By running the makefile the ouput.txt file gets created but
> is empty. Does anyone know have any ideas how to make this work ?

> thanks

Use redir program:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq6_15.html

If you use 4NT from JPSOFT, use "2> output.txt" to redirect the output
of g77.

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:05:51 GMT

1. redirect g77 output into a file under windows xp

2. Help: Output 22-byte sentinel to binary DXF file

3. Redirecting DOS command output

4. M$ Fortran 5.x versus g77-0.5.22

5. Redirect DOS command output

6. g77-0.5.22 has been ported to EMX/RSX (OS/2 and Windows)

7. Redirecting DOS program output to text window

8. Redirecting Output to files

9. Redirecting to TWO output files

10. Redirecting program output to file

11. how to redirect lpt1 to file-output

12. redirect output of functions to a string or file