MS Fortran compatability with UN*X Fortran (and use with MS C)
Author Message
 MS Fortran compatability with UN*X Fortran (and use with MS C)

I am interested in finding people's experiences with MicroSoft fortran.

In particular:
        - How compatible is the MS Fortran compiler with code written for
                a UN*X System V f77 compiler?
        - Can MS Fortran functions be invoked from MS C 5.1?

Any other suggestions that may ease the transition are appreciated.

Followups are directed to the comp.lang.fortran group.

TIA,
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb

Thu, 17 Sep 1992 19:34:00 GMT
 MS Fortran compatability with UN*X Fortran (and use with MS C)

Quote:

>I am interested in finding people's experiences with MicroSoft Fortran.

>In particular:
>    - How compatible is the MS Fortran compiler with code written for
>            a UN*X System V f77 compiler?

Not very.

Quote:
>    - Can MS Fortran functions be invoked from MS C 5.1?

Probably. Should be in the manual.

Quote:
>Any other suggestions that may ease the transition are appreciated.

It has been a couple of years since I last used MS fortran. When I
last checked into it, I decided to stick with Lahey. I seriously doubt
that MS will ever build a compiler as good as Tom's.

If the UNIX is using the standard "portable" f77 I fear you will find
many interesting bugs in the compiler. You might prefer to go with a
more production quality compiler. MIPS, and Sun both have pretty good
compiers (use v1.2; avoid v1.05).

Keith H. Bierman
It's Not My Fault ---- I Voted for Bill & Opus

Thu, 17 Sep 1992 09:46:00 GMT

1. Ms Fortran 5.1 or MS Fortran Powerstation

2. Ms Fortran 5.1 or MS Fortran Powerstation

3. How to make MS DOS beep using MS Fortran 5.1

4. MS Fortran DLL called from MS VB 6.0 problem

5. Compatibility of MS Fortran & MS VC 6.0

6. MS Fortran v 5.00 - Access to serial COM ports (MS-DOS)

7. MS FORTRAN/ MS Visual Basic

8. Linking MS Fortran 5.1 with MS C/C++ 7.0

9. Files from MS - fortran 4.0 vs Lahey Fortran 5.2

10. Recognizing FORTRAN files in MS FORTRAN 5.1

11. Differences between MS-Fortran and fortran 77?