Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate (fwd)
Author Message
 Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate (fwd)

>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:22:59 -0800

>Subject: Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate

>Arthur,

>Your message is somewhat off-topic to comp.programming.literate, so I
>rejected it. Feel free to repost it to the
>other newsgroups you tried posting it to.

>Matthias
>Co-moderator, comp.programming.literate

     Twit!

[snip]

Quote:

>>> [BE WARNED: reserve early, the last time Knuth spoke, the Museum had
>>> turn away 150 people.]
>>> WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2003
>>> Donald Knuth
>>> "A Dozen Precursors of fortran"
>>> Lecture and Book Signing

     This is one meeting I wish I could attend.

[snip]

     Submitted to ahbou.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
     I have preferences.
     You have biases.
     He/She has prejudices.

Thu, 11 May 2006 11:47:05 GMT
 Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate (fwd)

>>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:22:59 -0800

>>Subject: Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate

>>Arthur,

>>Your message is somewhat off-topic to comp.programming.literate, so I
>>rejected it. Feel free to repost it to the
>>other newsgroups you tried posting it to.

>>Matthias
>>Co-moderator, comp.programming.literate

>     Twit!

I think Matthias did the right thing.  I set Followups to "poster."
He also sent the post back to Arthur.
And Arthur did the right thing just to remove c.p.l. and ba.seminars.

--moderator, comp.parallel

Quote:

At this time, there is still space.
But it is going fast.

Quote:

Arthur noted an invitation for DEK to Pittsburgh.
CMU does now have a West Coast campus less than 1 mile from where DEK
is speaking.  Once CMU-West has a good sized auditorium, he can make
CMU visits easier, however, many of us would wish that DEK would finish
Vol. 4A, 4B, and 4C soon.

Quote:
>     This is one meeting I wish I could attend.

Being taped.
You can buy his new book on Selected Papers on PLs.

I have further reduced but not completely eliminated followup groups.

Sun, 14 May 2006 05:23:37 GMT
 Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate (fwd)

Quote:

> WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2003
> Donald Knuth
> "A Dozen Precursors of Fortran"
> Lecture and Book Signing
> [BE WARNED: reserve early, the last time Knuth spoke, the Museum had
> to turn away 150 people.]

> At this time, there is still space.
> But it is going fast.

Got my reservation (and travel arrangements).  Seemed worth spending
my own pocket money to come (and Al is happy to consider it NASA
related, so I don't have to take vacation time).  Hope to see you
there Eugene.  Al Bowers mentioned he had some kind of recording wire
for the computer history museum that he'd been meaning to get to you.
If he can scrounge it up, I'll bring it along.

(I overrode the followups and kept comp.lang.fortran in, because I
think this quite appropriate to clf.)

--
Richard Maine
email: my last name at domain

Sun, 14 May 2006 09:58:26 GMT
 Rejected submission to comp.programming.literate (fwd)

Quote:
>> "A Dozen Precursors of Fortran"

Quote:
>Got my reservation (and travel arrangements).  Seemed worth spending
>my own pocket money to come (and Al is happy to consider it NASA
>related, so I don't have to take vacation time).  Hope to see you
>there Eugene.  Al Bowers mentioned he had some kind of recording wire
>for the computer history museum that he'd been meaning to get to you.
>If he can scrounge it up, I'll bring it along.

Yes, the Museum would like that wire.
Even pouch mail is acceptable.

Actually you realize that in your case Rich, I would recommend the hack
of inviting Knuth down to Dryden/EAFB on the Ames/Dryden King Air and
maybe giving a talk down South.  This actually just might be doable and
actually easier than getting Backus to give a seminar on any topic.
But I would if I were you be mindful of consequences on volumes 4 and on to
TAOCP in a rare air accident involving a puddle jumper.  Ask him if
you can tolerate the potential risk.  He's busy, but he could certainly
take one day off to do that.  The problem is too many people coming up
with similar hack invitations would impact book writing.

Quote:
>(I overrode the followups and kept comp.lang.fortran in, because I
>think this quite appropriate to clf.)

Yes, the way you wrote it, it is appropriate.

Sat, 20 May 2006 23:55:55 GMT

1. CFV for comp.programming.literate posted in news.announce.newgroups

2. 3rd RFD: comp.programming.literate

3. CFV: comp.programming.literate

4. RFD: comp.programming.literate

5. CFV for comp.programming.literate posted in news.announce.newgroups

6. 2nd RFD: comp.programming.literate

7. CFV for comp.programming.literate posted in news.announce.newgroups

8. BINARY and UNFORMATTED - comp.lang.fortran #9859 - comp.lang.fortran #9884 (fwd)

9. Literate Forth (was Literate Project)

10. [Fwd: Article Submissions Wanted at Dr. Dobbs]

11. APLWEB and Literate Programming in APL

12. Literate programming