HELP computational physics
Author Message
 HELP computational physics

     I'm trying to do a graduation project with a program from a book called
computational physics by steve Koonin.  My problem is with the compiler,
I've tried
fortran77 versions 3 and 4, a fortran program written either by or for University of
Salford which was written in 1989, and fortran 90, which all failed to compile.
  In the program there are several include files, which only the Un. of Salford Fortran
compiler is able to understand, during compilation everthing is O.K. until the
compiler hits the statement

             include 'main.all'
which immediately exits giving the message file 'main.all' could not be opened.  I
myself wrote some simple programs which have the include statement and there are
no problems.  If anyone is interested in solving this problem I can send them
the program it takes about 300-400 lines without the comments.  It might make
anyone a good graduation challange.  Thank you for reading.

--

O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------O
|   FROM WATER DOES ALL LIFE BEGIN -O.C BIBLE- "From the book DUNE"           |

O-----------------------------------------------------------------------------O

Sat, 30 Aug 1997 01:21:18 GMT
 HELP computational physics

Quote:
>      I'm trying to do a graduation project with a program from a book called
> computational physics by steve Koonin.  My problem is with the compiler,
> I've tried
> Fortran77 versions 3 and 4, a fortran program written either by or for
>  University of
> Salford which was written in 1989, and fortran 90, which all failed to compile.
>   In the program there are several include files, which only the Un. of Salford
>  Fortran
> compiler is able to understand, during compilation everthing is O.K. until the
> compiler hits the statement

>              include 'main.all'
> which immediately exits giving the message file 'main.all' could not be opened.
> myself wrote some simple programs which have the include statement and there are
> no problems.  If anyone is interested in solving this problem I can send them
> the program it takes about 300-400 lines without the comments.  It might make
> anyone a good graduation challange.  Thank you for reading.

???!-)  Difficult to know.  Some possible explanations:

   main.all  is in a different directory
   you are on a network, or in a multi-tasking shell, and another
          user/process has grabbed exclusive access to main.all
   there are unprintable characters somewhere in the INCLUDE statement.
   the file name includes unprintable characters such as char(255)
   main.all  has the "Hidden" attribute  (try ATTRIB main.all)
   you have run out of file handles (try increasing FILES= in
                 CONFIG.SYS)

   Can you edit main.all (and make a trivial change)?

--
John Appleyard

Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Linden House
93 High St.                     Tel. +44(0)1865-300579
Standlake                       Fax. +44(0)1865-300232
WITNEY                          Compuserve 100013,461

United Kingdom

Sun, 31 Aug 1997 02:42:58 GMT

1. My Computational Methods of Physics page

2. 2nd CFV: sci.physics.computational.fluid-dynamics

3. 3rd RFD: sci.physics.computational.fluid-dynamics

4. 2nd RFD: sci.physics.computational

5. COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS - Help with SIMPLE algorithm implementation

6. Help needed setting up computational grid in fortran

7. Computers in Physics Article: Sather

8. JOB: ATTENTION physics/LABVIEW GURUS!!!

9. ATTENTION ALL PHYSICS/ LABVIEW GURUS!!!!!

10. JOB: Attn: Labview/Physics Gurus!