Problem with modules and compiler versions
Author Message
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with the intermediate module files
that result from the use of modules:

I installed a minor upgrade of the CVF compiler and this complained
that the .mod files for my program (compiled with an older version *)

The new compiler (version 6.6C to be precise) complains that these
intermediate files are from an incompatible compiler release.

This is a rather unfortunate circumstance: this means that we need to
recompile our libraries each time the compiler changes sufficiently.
Is this a common occurrence? In former days, compiled libraries used
to remain useable almost as long as the compiler vendor did not
change...

I have not been confronted with this problem before and as I just love
modules, I am unhappily surprised (and with me my colleagues, I may
add).

Regards,

Arjen

* I do not know how old, as the original compiler that I used for
  that was on a PC that has been replaced. SO it is neigh to impossible
  to check it.

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:13:28 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions
| Hello,
|
| I have encountered a problem with the intermediate module files
| that result from the use of modules:
|
| I installed a minor upgrade of the CVF compiler and this complained
| that the .mod files for my program (compiled with an older version *)
|
| The new compiler (version 6.6C to be precise) complains that these
| intermediate files are from an incompatible compiler release.
|
| This is a rather unfortunate circumstance: this means that we need to
| recompile our libraries each time the compiler changes sufficiently.
| Is this a common occurrence? In former days, compiled libraries used
| to remain useable almost as long as the compiler vendor did not
| change...
|
| I have not been confronted with this problem before and as I just love
| modules, I am unhappily surprised (and with me my colleagues, I may
| add).

This is a known problem with an early release of 6.6C. It fails to
recognize .mod files created with some of 6.0 or 6.1 releases, I
don't recall which exactly. It is fixed in actual 6.6C release
(Jan 1 IIRC) so try re-downloading it.

See also here:
http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=5&message....

--
 Jugoslav
___________

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:45:40 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have encountered a problem with the intermediate module files
> that result from the use of modules:

> I installed a minor upgrade of the CVF compiler and this complained
> that the .mod files for my program (compiled with an older version *)

> The new compiler (version 6.6C to be precise) complains that these
> intermediate files are from an incompatible compiler release.

> This is a rather unfortunate circumstance: this means that we need to
> recompile our libraries each time the compiler changes sufficiently.
> Is this a common occurrence? In former days, compiled libraries used
> to remain useable almost as long as the compiler vendor did not
> change...

> I have not been confronted with this problem before and as I just love
> modules, I am unhappily surprised (and with me my colleagues, I may
> add).

> Regards,

> Arjen

> * I do not know how old, as the original compiler that I used for
>   that was on a PC that has been replaced. SO it is neigh to impossible
>   to check it.

have you got the latest[*] 6.6c release --- it should not have this
problem.  see here
<http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=5&message....>

[*] the second one.  note that there should be another 6.6c release
soon.  see here
<http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=5&message....>

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:44:41 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> This is a known problem with an early release of 6.6C. It fails to
> recognize .mod files created with some of 6.0 or 6.1 releases, I
> don't recall which exactly. It is fixed in actual 6.6C release
> (Jan 1 IIRC) so try re-downloading it.

> See also here:
> http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=5&message....

Hm, the release I have is pretty old indeed. But, unfortunately, I
now fail to find the correct one. (The Intel site is hiding any
reference
to Compaq Visual fortran very firmly and even Intel Fortran seems to be
a secret).

Can you point me to the correct one?

Regards,

Arjen

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:30:55 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:
> Hm, the release I have is pretty old indeed. But, unfortunately, I
> now fail to find the correct one. (The Intel site is hiding any
> reference
> to Compaq Visual Fortran very firmly and even Intel Fortran seems to be
> a secret).

> Can you point me to the correct one?

Took me a while too:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/fortran/vf/CVF-66-66C.exe

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:38:40 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> > Hm, the release I have is pretty old indeed. But, unfortunately, I
> > now fail to find the correct one. (The Intel site is hiding any
> > reference
> > to Compaq Visual Fortran very firmly and even Intel Fortran seems to be
> > a secret).

> > Can you point me to the correct one?

> Took me a while too:

> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/fortran/vf/CVF-66-66C.exe

> Regards,

> Mike Metcalf

Thank you.

Regards,

Arjen

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:43:21 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> > Hm, the release I have is pretty old indeed. But, unfortunately, I
> > now fail to find the correct one. (The Intel site is hiding any
> > reference
> > to Compaq Visual Fortran very firmly and even Intel Fortran seems to be
> > a secret).

> > Can you point me to the correct one?

> Took me a while too:

> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/fortran/vf/CVF-66-66C.exe

> Regards,

> Mike Metcalf

Yes, this did the trick.

Regards,

Arjen

Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:05:38 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:
> This is a rather unfortunate circumstance: this means that we need to
> recompile our libraries each time the compiler changes sufficiently.

Well yes, sometimes progress requires making sacrifices 8-).

I believe CVF changed the format of its module files once in the V5 to V6
progression. AIUI, that was required to get the bugs out of the correctness
and performance problems with hierarchical module inclusion. So it is
something that can happen, but does only rarely. And I'm sure the compiler
group thought hard about requiring this sacrifice from their customers.

        Jan

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:00:41 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions
|| This is a rather unfortunate circumstance: this means that we need to
|| recompile our libraries each time the compiler changes sufficiently.
|
| Well yes, sometimes progress requires making sacrifices 8-).
|
| I believe CVF changed the format of its module files once in the V5 to V6
| progression. AIUI, that was required to get the bugs out of the correctness
| and performance problems with hierarchical module inclusion. So it is
| something that can happen, but does only rarely. And I'm sure the compiler
| group thought hard about requiring this sacrifice from their customers.

Agreed; however, the change in question was not deliberate, but a bug.
(Actually, as Steve explained, that was more a bug in mentioned 6.0
release, which did not write some piece of information (version info
I think) into the .mod file correctly. Early 6.6C release did not take
that into account).

--
 Jugoslav
___________

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:18:36 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> > Hm, the release I have is pretty old indeed. But, unfortunately, I
> > now fail to find the correct one. (The Intel site is hiding any
> > reference to Compaq Visual Fortran very firmly and even Intel Fortran
> >  seems to be a secret).
> > Can you point me to the correct one?

> Took me a while too:

> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/fortran/vf/CVF-66-66C.exe

Sounds eerily reminiscent of the times when Watcom compiler began
vanishing under a multitude of unfortunate acquisitions.

Sun, 01 Oct 2006 14:28:57 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions

Quote:

> > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/fortran/vf/CVF-66-66C.exe

I just noticed last night that HP finally has a CVF-66-66C3 update of CVF
(apparently showed up around Feb 2004) at their website.  Just go to
http://h18009.www1.hp.com/fortran and follow the links to the downloads. I'm
not sure how 66C3 differs (if at all) from the 66C version of the update - I
don't recall it mentioned in the newsgroup.

Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:02:54 GMT
 Problem with modules and compiler versions
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:02:54 -0400, "John Lansberry"

Quote:

>I just noticed last night that HP finally has a CVF-66-66C3 update of CVF
>(apparently showed up around Feb 2004) at their website.  Just go to
>http://h18009.www1.hp.com/fortran and follow the links to the downloads. I'm
>not sure how 66C3 differs (if at all) from the 66C version of the update - I
>don't recall it mentioned in the newsgroup.

The 66C3 version fixes some minor regressions introduced into the original
6.6C update.

Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

  http://softwareforums.intel.com/
Intel Fortran Support
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:13:01 GMT

1. Problems with intel fortran compiler version 8

2. Linking Python modules to C++ modules...a problem

3. mac version 5.1 compatability problems with pc version 6.1

4. Compiler error (or maybe compiler problem?!)

5. Problem Installing PIL (module search path problem I think)

6. Compiling an OBJ module into a basic program in version 3.5 PowerBasic for DOS

7. Schedule Module Working Version.

8. Python Kerberos Extension Module, Version 0.1

9. Version 1.03 of the netCDF interface module

10. win32netapi module -version 1.0beta1 (on Windows NT4/5)

11. Modules and version determination

12. Exploit for a security hole in the pickle module for Python versions <= 2.1.x