Slow MS Fortran PowerStation
Author Message
 Slow MS Fortran PowerStation

After listening to MS ads of "workstation power on PC' about their
fortran PowerStation and after Lahey priced me out of their market,
I finally bought Microsoft Fortran PowerStation 1.0a. The installation
was very smooth.  But I really got a shock in executing speed.

A program to compute the confidence limits for the odds ratio took 57 seconds
to finish when compiled with MS Fortran 5.1.  It now takes 4 minutes
under DOS and 13 minutes under Windows DOS session when compiled
with PowerStation.  I have used
the optimization release mode.

I called MS technical support.  The guy over the other end of the phone told
me they knew that powerStation is slower than 5.1.  But they have not
heard about this SLOW.

Well, that is MS PowerStation and the product behind a lot of hype.

To be fair,  I have to say the Virtual Workbench of PowerStation is very
nice.  The price of $109 is reasonable.

Jiangang Liao
University of South Florida

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 03:09:43 GMT
 Slow MS Fortran PowerStation

Quote:

>After listening to MS ads of "workstation power on PC' about their
>Fortran PowerStation and after Lahey priced me out of their market,
>I finally bought Microsoft Fortran PowerStation 1.0a. The installation
>was very smooth.  But I really got a shock in executing speed.

>A program to compute the confidence limits for the odds ratio took 57 seconds
>to finish when compiled with MS Fortran 5.1.  It now takes 4 minutes
>under DOS and 13 minutes under Windows DOS session when compiled
>with PowerStation.  I have used
>the optimization release mode.

>I called MS technical support.  The guy over the other end of the phone told
>me they knew that powerStation is slower than 5.1.  But they have not
>heard about this SLOW.

>Well, that is MS PowerStation and the product behind a lot of hype.

>To be fair,  I have to say the Virtual Workbench of PowerStation is very
>nice.  The price of $109 is reasonable.

>Jiangang Liao
>University of South Florida

I use Powerstation exclusively and have always found it to run at least twice
as fast as 5.1.  I did have some problems at first compiling code, but after
I turned off the 32 bit disk access everything seems to work fine.  The only
problem with Powerstation is the de{*filter*} is a bit slow and has some annoying
bugs.

William Brown
Applied EM Group
Univ. of Houston

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 00:53:00 GMT
 Slow MS Fortran PowerStation

: I use Powerstation exclusively and have always found it to run at least twice
: as fast as 5.1.  I did have some problems at first compiling code, but after
: I turned off the 32 bit disk access everything seems to work fine.  The only
: problem with Powerstation is the de{*filter*} is a bit slow and has some annoying
: bugs.

Can you tell me how to turn off the 32 bit disk access?  I do not seem to remember this feature.  Thanks!

Jiangang Liao

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 21:42:28 GMT

1. Ms Fortran 5.1 or MS Fortran Powerstation

2. Ms Fortran 5.1 or MS Fortran Powerstation

3. Numerical discrepancies between MS Fortran 5.1 and Fortran Powerstation

4. Compiling legacy fortran code under MS Fortran Powerstation - output format question

5. FS: MS FORTRAN PowerStation

6. serial port i/o using MS-Powerstation Fortran

7. MS PowerStation Fortran 1.0 & Windows XP

8. MS Fortran Powerstation

9. ForSale: MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0

10. Faulty IFNAN in MS Fortran Powerstation?

11. HELP NEEDED...MS FORTRAN PowerStation 1.0a on Win95 platform