Getting a program to inform you when it's done
Author Message
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done

Hi guys. Any ideas on how to get a program to inform you when it has
finished a run (remotely & locally)? It is a stochastic solver so it is
hard to predict when it will finish...

Assume 3 scenarios:

1) With a Linux comp with me present next to it.
For some reason, the "result = systemqq('beep')" command gives me "sh:
beep: command not found".

2) With a remote Linux comp with me using a Windows comp across town.
Is there such a thing as "remote beeping", so I can get my remote Linux
comp to get my local Windows comp to beep? I can open my firewall to
traffic from the remote comp's port.

3) Remote Linux to local Linux.

Thanks.

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:09:07 GMT
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done
Oh, btw, here's how to do local Windows beeping (not that it helps me
much as my solver needs to run in Linux...)

Thought I'd post it here anyway.

        program beep

        INTEGER(4) frequency, duration
        frequency = 1000
        duration  = 1000
        CALL BEEPQQ(frequency, duration)

        end program beep

Also, with (1) in the previous post, the Linux beep command does exist
(although I am not there to confirm it!)

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:18:55 GMT
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done

Quote:

> Hi guys. Any ideas on how to get a program to inform you when it has
> finished a run (remotely & locally)? It is a stochastic solver so it is
> hard to predict when it will finish...

> Assume 3 scenarios:

> 1) With a Linux comp with me present next to it.
> For some reason, the "result = systemqq('beep')" command gives me "sh:
> beep: command not found".

> 2) With a remote Linux comp with me using a Windows comp across town.
> Is there such a thing as "remote beeping", so I can get my remote Linux
> comp to get my local Windows comp to beep? I can open my firewall to
> traffic from the remote comp's port.

> 3) Remote Linux to local Linux.

One thing you can do is to send a mail when you're
finished. Incidentally, that's how batch schedulers do it if you want
some notification.

For a simple solution, run the program from a shell script like:

#!/bin/sh

/path/to/your/app > logfile 2>&1

# End of script.

That way you'll get an email containing the standard output and error
from your program.

--
Janne Blomqvist

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:38:36 GMT
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done
Hiya Janne. Thanks for the reply! I didn't realise you could send an
email & attachment that easily.

Anyway, I managed to get my first test email through. Subsequent test
emails didn't arrive at my Inbox. Perhaps the college's mail filters
stopped it?

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:53:03 GMT
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done

Quote:

> Hiya Janne. Thanks for the reply! I didn't realise you could send an
> email & attachment that easily.

> Anyway, I managed to get my first test email through. Subsequent test
> emails didn't arrive at my Inbox. Perhaps the college's mail filters
> stopped it?

You can even uuencode your results after tar'bzipping them. I once had a
bandstructure calculation that ran for days and I would use a script to run
the simulation, and email me the logfile and the results when it was done.
You can't get more convenience than that.

Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:41:33 GMT
 Getting a program to inform you when it's done
Slightly off topic, but what kind of stochastic solver are you
creating?

Sat, 23 Feb 2008 05:48:38 GMT

1. HttpDist - getting errors, What I'm doing wrong

2. getting an external program's output in haskell

3. Doing emacs bindings or getting modifiers

4. Doing emacs bindings or getting modifiers

5. errors when doing 'make test'

6. Have you ever done 'namespace delete ::'?

7. A2P, keep getting an error message 'EMX not found'. What am I doing wrong?

8. adding program to windows 'programs' menu

9. Informing the user

10. Variable number of 'gets'

11. C5.5 ABC getting 'My Computer'

12. originality vs simply being informed