NAGWare f95 licencing issues...
Author Message
 NAGWare f95 licencing issues...

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate group to post to, but I
assume there are other NAGWare f95 users here that might have
experienced the same problem as I am encountering... so here I
go...

I have just upgraded our NAGWare f95 compiler from `Release 5.0
edit 414' to `Release 5.1 edit 216'.  I can run the executable...

$ f95 -V
NAGWare fortran 95 compiler Release 5.1(216)
Copyright 1990-2006 The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd., Oxford, U.K.

... but as soon as I try to compile code with it, I get a licencing problem:

$ f95 hello_world.f95
Error: Licence file not found

I didn't have this problem when I upgraded from `Release 5.0 edit 361' to
`Release 5.0 edit 414'.  Back then, I simply replaced the old
installation directory with the newer one and things worked
without problems.  I can't remember that i had to do some things
related to licencing issues.

I did notice that the 5.0 release uses the FLEXlm network licence
management system, while the 5.1 release uses the Kusari Licence
Management System.  Could this be causing my problem?

I do know we have a valid licence for the 5.0 release here, but I
don't know where it is located and I don't know how to tell to my
5.1 installation where to find that licence.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bart

--
        "Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."

Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:56:58 GMT
 NAGWare f95 licencing issues...

Quote:

> I'm not sure if this is the appropriate group to post to,

No, it isn't. Why would you not ask NAG? They have pretty responsive
support in my experience. Did you try?

Quote:
> I did notice that the 5.0 release uses the FLEXlm network licence
> management system, while the 5.1 release uses the Kusari Licence
> Management System.  Could this be causing my problem?

Seems quite likely. Just last week, I asked our sysadmins to update our
NAG license to 5.1. That was before I read the installation
instructions, which describe how to install and configure the Kusari
stuff. I'm sort of expecting our sysadmins to come back and ask me how
to do it, because they aren't much into reading instructions, so I'll
likely need to read it to them. Sounds likely to be the same issue. I
could read the instructions and paraphrase them, but that seems like a
lot of extra bother for no obvious purpose. Better to suggest reading
the instructions that someone else already wrote. Next step would be to
call NAG.

Quote:
> I do know we have a valid licence for the 5.0 release here, but I
> don't know where it is located and I don't know how to tell to my
> 5.1 installation where to find that licence.

Well, then you have a more basic issue. A 5.0 license isn't likely to be
valid for 5.1. I suppose I could be wrong, as I didn't  actually try,
because it didn't look likely to work without a new key and license
server setup. If you are on maintenance, then you should be able to get
a 5.1 license key.

--
Richard Maine                     | Good judgment comes from experience;
org: nasa, domain: gov            |       -- Mark Twain

Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:34:52 GMT
 NAGWare f95 licencing issues...

Quote:

> Seems quite likely. Just last week, I asked our sysadmins to update our
> NAG license to 5.1. That was before I read the installation
> instructions, which describe how to install and configure the Kusari
> stuff. I'm sort of expecting our sysadmins to come back and ask me how
> to do it, because they aren't much into reading instructions, so I'll
> likely need to read it to them. Sounds likely to be the same issue.

Exactly the same situation here... I also have the feeling that
most of the reading concerning the setup will be done by myself
instead of by our sysadmins :-)

Quote:
> I could read the instructions and paraphrase them, but that seems like a
> lot of extra bother for no obvious purpose. Better to suggest reading
> the instructions that someone else already wrote. Next step would be to
> call NAG.

True.  I have found that we will need a Kusari license server,
and that the clients will have to set their NAG_KUSARI_FILE
environment variable.

Quote:
>> I do know we have a valid licence for the 5.0 release here, but I
>> don't know where it is located and I don't know how to tell to my
>> 5.1 installation where to find that licence.

> Well, then you have a more basic issue. A 5.0 license isn't likely to be
> valid for 5.1. I suppose I could be wrong, as I didn't  actually try,
> because it didn't look likely to work without a new key and license
> server setup. If you are on maintenance, then you should be able to get
> a 5.1 license key.

Well... actually, on the following URL...

http://www.nag.com/nagware/np/NP_trial.asp

... it is mentioned:

"Also, customers who have a valid license may download these
 implementations in order to update their installations."

However, i don't know what `a valid license' means... does it
mean 'a valid 5.X' license or 'a valid 5.1' license...

Best wishes,
Bart

--
        "Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."

Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:10:32 GMT

1. KIND related issues on NAGware f95 v 4.1

2. Buffer overflow issues with NAGware f95 v 4.1

3. Announcement: NAGWare f95 Release 5

4. NAGware compiler -- f95 to C

5. Feedback on NAGWare f95 Compiler R5/MinGW

6. allocatables in structures (NAGware f95)

7. Announcement: NAGWare f95 Release 4.2

8. Announcement: Release 4.1 of the NAGWare f95 Compiler

9. IOSTAT, EOF and NAGWare f95

10. NAGWare f95 Release 4.0 Now available

11. NAGWare f95 4.0 Public Beta Test

12. licencing issues with procomp