Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95
Author Message
 Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95

Hi Everybody,

We have a large fortran based ( with a few 'C' based routines linked to it), which being quite large needs
some 2M  memory to run. When it was smaller it could run within 640K. Program has since expanded, and was
converted to run with a DOS Extender called 'OS386". This program  presumably uses VCPI memory
management technology.

VCPI based programs can not run under Windows 3.1 or 95, even as a DOS Window. They need full PC
resources.

We want to convert this prgoram to DPMI memory management so that it could be run as a DOS Window
under Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jaspal  Boparai
Product Manager (Scheduling Products)
IRD Teleride, Toronto, Canada
(416) 408-9405

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95

Quote:
>We have a large Fortran based ( with a few 'C' based routines linked to it),
>which being quite large needs
>some 2M  memory to run. When it was smaller it could run within 640K. Program
>has since expanded, and was
>converted to run with a DOS Extender called 'OS386". This program  presumably
>uses VCPI memory
>management technology.

>VCPI based programs can not run under Windows 3.1 or 95, even as a DOS Window.
>They need full PC
>resources.

>We want to convert this prgoram to DPMI memory management so that it could be
>run as a DOS Window
>under Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT.

If it was OS/386, presumably you were using one of Lahey F77L-EM/32 (4.0
or older), WATCOM F77 or Microway NDP Fortran. Any of these now support
DPMI compatible DOS extenders. In addition, Lahey LF90, Salford
FTN77/FTN90 and Microsoft PowerStation 1.0 will alll produc DOS extended
programs which will run inside Windows. Basically, any 32-bit DOS
extended Fortran which you can still go out and buy (which eliminates
PS1.0) will produce programs which will run in a Windows 3.1/95 DOS box.

Personally, I would recommend you go for one of Lahey LF90, Salford
FTN77 or WATCOM Fortran 77. Respectively they use Phar Lap, DBOS and DOS
4/GW. (WATCOM supports other DOS extenders, but the Rational DOS
extender is the only one supplied with the compiler).

If you program includes any calls to OS/386 interrupts (e.g. via C or
assembler calls) these will need to be re-written. Otherwise, it should
be largely a case of recompiling with a different target compiler. You
will probably need a different C compiler too, depending on which
Fortran compiler you go for.

Lawson Wakefield
* Interactive Software Services Ltd     *
* Tel    +44 (0)1543 503611             *
* Fax    +44 (0)1543 574566             *

* www    http://www.demon.co.uk/issltd/ *

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95

Quote:
>We have a large Fortran based ( with a few 'C' based routines linked to it),
>which being quite large needs
>some 2M  memory to run. When it was smaller it could run within 640K. Program
>has since expanded, and was
>converted to run with a DOS Extender called 'OS386". This program  presumably
>uses VCPI memory
>management technology.

>VCPI based programs can not run under Windows 3.1 or 95, even as a DOS Window.
>They need full PC
>resources.

>We want to convert this prgoram to DPMI memory management so that it could be
>run as a DOS Window
>under Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT.

If you need a f77 command line compiler for DPMI use I recommend
g77 version 0.5.19 and djgpp 2.01 (GNU C for DPMI) and f2c. Look at:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/    and   http://users.hol.gr/~kkou/

The compiler and the compiled programs run under DOS, WIN 3.11, WIN 95, WIN NT,
OS/2 ....
As far I know you can sell programs compiled with djgpp.

--

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Running Fortran application as a DOS Windows under Windows 3.1 or 95

Quote:

> >VCPI based programs can not run under Windows 3.1 or 95, even as a DOS Window.
> >They need full PC resources.

> >We want to convert this prgoram to DPMI memory management so that it could be
> >run as a DOS Window under Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT.
> If you need a f77 command line compiler for DPMI use I recommend
> g77 version 0.5.19 and djgpp 2.01 (GNU C for DPMI) and f2c. Look at:

Or use the other gcc/g77 port to DOS/os2: emx which uses also VCPI, but with
a the rsx/rsxNT package you have what you want (DPMI/win3.x/win95/winNT).
Binaries for gcc-2.7.2.1 and g77-0.5.20 you will find at
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/os2/devel/emx+gcc (check the exact directory)
and other os2 repositories.

Good luck!
--
Michael Taeschner

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. 32 bit Fortran for Windows 3.1, NT and Windows 95

2. Windows 3.1 to Windows '95

3. What's difference between Windows 3.1 dans Windows 95

4. Help : REXX, from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95

5. Queries re MicroFocus Personal COBOL for Windows 3.1/Windows 95

6. Clarion 3.1 (DOS) cannot run under WIndows NT

7. free fortran compiler for DOS/Windows 3.1

8. How to run my application under Windows 95?

9. Print problem in Windows 95 with application in Clarion 3.0 DOS

10. Running DOS Python under Windows 95

11. looking for wbpro for vse 3.1 (on windows 95)

12. Win 95 vs Windows 3.1