MS Powerstation 4.0 maximum file size?
Author Message
 MS Powerstation 4.0 maximum file size?

I am using an FE solver built from MS Powerstation 4.0.  It's crashing
while doing DECOM, when the matrix size exceeds 2Gb.  We are suspecting
there is some restriction on the maximum file-size that can be read or
written because of the 16bit file system.  Is that true?  If so, does
anyone know how to work around this without discarding Powerstation.  We
have actually built the same code under Digital fortran 5.0, but the end
product is noticeably slower.  Any suggestions appreciated.
--
Henry

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Powerstation 4.0 maximum file size?
What operating system is this on?  Why do you expect us to know
what DECOM is?

The maximum addressable memory with 32 bits is 4 Gb, unless
48-bit addressing is used.  If you have a real matrix with a
size of 2 Gb, ..., think of the implications.

--
N. Shamsundar
University of Houston

Quote:

>I am using an FE solver built from MS Powerstation 4.0.  It's
crashing
>while doing DECOM, when the matrix size exceeds 2Gb.  We are
suspecting
>there is some restriction on the maximum file-size that can be
read or
>written because of the 16bit file system.  Is that true?  If
so, does
>anyone know how to work around this without discarding
Powerstation.  We
>have actually built the same code under Digital Fortran 5.0,
but the end
>product is noticeably slower.  Any suggestions appreciated.
>--
>Henry

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Powerstation 4.0 maximum file size?
On the codes I've timed, I found DVF 5 & 6 faster than FPS4
-- do you have optimizations on?  I also remember hearing
about i/o buffering options, but don't recall any details.

I believe most Win32 implementations limit max. file sizes
to 2 G as MS used signed integers for at least SOME of the
file record keeping internally.  (I'm not absolutely certain of that,
if you want to know ask on a Wincentric NG.)
--
Kevin G. Rhoads, Ph.D. (The Cheshire Cat for official Internet mascot.)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 MS Powerstation 4.0 maximum file size?
On 30 Sep 1999 13:21:37 GMT, "Kevin G. Rhoads"

Quote:

>I believe most Win32 implementations limit max. file sizes
>to 2 G as MS used signed integers for at least SOME of the
>file record keeping internally.

Current versions of DIGITAL Visual Fortran allow files larger than
2GB. We've tested up to 7GB....

--

Fortran Engineering
Compaq Computer Corporation, Nashua NH

Compaq Fortran web site: http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Compaq Fortran Message Board:
   http://forum.compaq.com:80/mb8/system/fortran_login.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Req: MS PowerStation 4.0 Help Files

2. MS Powerstation 4.0 - open file question

3. BUG:MS Powerstation 4.0 - Error reading namelist file?

4. ForSale: MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0

5. MS Powerstation 4.0 - HELP!!!!!

6. Looking for Fortran MS-Powerstation 4.0 Consultant

7. using imsl libraries in MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0

8. ETIME function in MS PowerStation 4.0

9. MS Powerstation 4.0 ?

10. MS Powerstation 4.0 memory limit bugs

11. FS:MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0 Professional Edition

12. query: known bugs in MS Powerstation 4.0?