Question on FORtran 77 standard 
Author Message
 Question on FORtran 77 standard

        I have a question on fortran 77 standard : I have noticed that the
"structure" and "record" declaration are allowed with most of the f77/FORtran
compilers out there BUT on Linux f77 compiler.

        Are structure/record part of the f77 standard declaration or is it an
add-hock by most of the providers out there ??? I hope someone can answer that
for me ...

(Please, answer to the above Email or replace ? by mail)

--

       ,,,,,      Dept. of Chemistry
      ( o o )     Stony Brook NY 11794-3400
  ---m---U---m---------------------------------------------

  URL   : http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Question on FORtran 77 standard

Quote:

> I have a question on FORtran 77 standard : I have noticed that the
> "structure" and "record" declaration are allowed with most of the
> f77/FORtran compilers out there BUT on Linux f77 compiler.
> Are structure/record part of the f77 standard declaration or is it
> an add-hock by most of the providers out there ??? I hope someone
> can answer that for me ...

That one is easy.  They are completely non-standard.  As a result, you
will find many compilers that don't support them.  Many do, but I've
certainly also seen many that don't.  I'm not sure which "f77" on
linux you are talking about - there are several, but g77 and f2c are
two of the many Fortran compilers that don't support this extension.
(F2c is often wrapped in a script called f77 or fort77 so that you may
be using it without being conscious of the fact).  You will also find
differences in some of the details among those systems that do support
them.

--
Richard Maine



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Question on FORtran 77 standard

Quote:

>         I have a question on FORtran 77 standard : I have
> noticed that the "structure" and "record" declaration are
> allowed with most of the f77/FORtran compilers out there
> BUT on Linux f77 compiler.

>         Are structure/record part of the f77 standard
> declaration or is it an add-hock by most of the providers
> out there ??? I hope someone can answer that for me ...

I checked the HP-1000 Fortran-77 manual, and it is NOT a
part of their F77.  I am pretty sure that it IS a part of
the HP-3000 Fortran-77.  I looked at the MIL-STD (1753)
in the back of the manual, and it was not a part of that
mil-spec.  So those statements (STRUCT and RECORD) are
not a part of F77 nor the MIL-STD that was out with that
version.  However, it seems that it was a common
enhancement, possibly a later MIL-STD.

--

Buz          (8

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Knowledge is proud that it has learn'd so much;             |
|  Wisdom is humble that it knows no more.                     |
|    -- William Cooper: _The Task VI_                          |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------+
| This is official written notice:      | My real address is:  |
|   Please remove me from your mailing  |   lnuslad dot dzvg41 |
|   list.                               |    at eds dot com    |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------+



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Question on FORtran 77 standard
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:17:05 -0700, Roy Buzdor

Quote:

>I checked the HP-1000 Fortran-77 manual, and it is NOT a
>part of their F77.  I am pretty sure that it IS a part of
>the HP-3000 Fortran-77.  I looked at the MIL-STD (1753)
>in the back of the manual, and it was not a part of that
>mil-spec.  So those statements (STRUCT and RECORD) are
>not a part of F77 nor the MIL-STD that was out with that
>version.  However, it seems that it was a common
>enhancement, possibly a later MIL-STD.

No - STRUCTURE/RECORD was DIGITAL's invention, introduced in VAX
FORTRAN V4 in 1985.  It very quickly became adopted by many other
vendors, but not all.  It was never part of a MIL-STD.

--

Fortran Engineering
Compaq Computer Corporation, Nashua NH

Compaq Fortran web site: http://www.compaq.com/fortran



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Intel fortran and fortran 77 standard!

2. DEC FORTRAN-77 Extensions vs. Standard Fortran 90

3. Q about Fortran 77 standard

4. Fortran 77 standard document

5. Standard Fortran 77 Reference Manual

6. Fortran 77 Coding Standards

7. ANSI STANDARD FORTRAN 77 - REQUEST

8. Looking for FORTRAN 77 Coding Standards

9. converting old program to standard fortran 77

10. fortran 77 standard

11. ANSI STANDARD FOR FORTRAN 77

12. ANSI Standard FORTRAN 77 textbook

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software