pgplot Windows NT and Red Hat LINUX
Author Message
 pgplot Windows NT and Red Hat LINUX

Hi,

Anyone have any stories to share building pgplot for a DOS box inside
Windows NT or for LINUX 6.2 Red hat?

Jim Klein

Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:13:12 GMT
 pgplot Windows NT and Red Hat LINUX
Hi Jim,

PGPLOT works fine on linux and Windows NT for me.  The build process
for PGPLOT is a little more painful than it should be, but I wouldn't
call it difficult.  Follow the instructions carefully and it will work.

You didn't say which compiler you'd use for linux, so I'll assume
you mean the g77 that comes packaged with your distribution.  If so,
I'd *strongly* recommend installing gcc-2.95.2 (which includes g77).
gcc-2.95.2 is very easy to configure, install and use.  PGPLOT build
fine with it, using the normal Unix install of PGPLOT, with the crucial
step being:
  /usr/local/src/pgplot/makemake /usr/local/src/pgplot linux g77_gcc

You may need to fix the location of the X libraries: I believe the
PGPLOT
build assumes libraries in /usr/X11/lib/, while most linux systems use
/usr/X11R6/lib.  A symlink ( ln -s /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11 ) is easy.

I've only tried the X, postscript, and GIF drivers for PGPLOT, but these
all work fine. I haven't tried any commercial compilers on linux.
Again,
I have had difficulty with packaged distribution versions of egcs/gcc
with several linux distributions.   Install gcc-2.95.2.

For NT, the GrWin driver for PGPLOT works reasonably well, and is easy
to install.  It's also free and can be used to make a DLL.  Again, you
didn't specify which compiler you'd  use. I've made and used PGPLOT with
GrWin using cygwin and using CVF/MSVC, following the instructions at
  http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~abraham/WindowsPGPLOT.htm

I have no idea how difficult it would be to convert the GrWin driver to
work with other Win32/NT fortran compilers.

I've successfully used PGPLOT from Fortran and C on both linux and NT,
and have built python extensions of shared libraries that use PGPLOT for
graphics on both linux and NT,  In  short, PGPLOT is a bit painful to
install, but works fine once installed.

Hope that helps,

--Matt Newville

Quote:

> Hi,

> Anyone have any stories to share building pgplot for a DOS box inside
> Windows NT or for LINUX 6.2 Red hat?

> Jim Klein

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:50:57 GMT

1. Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux

2. Font display problems under Red Hat Linux 7.3

3. Various Ruby RPMs available for Red Hat Linux 7.2

4. FLORIST-2.0 on Red Hat Linux 5.0

5. Obtaining the IDLE GUI under Red Hat Linux 7.2

6. _imaging.so for Red Hat Linux needed

7. Red Hat Linux and poplib.py

8. Precompiled 1.6 for Red Hat Linux 6.2?

9. Python and Red Hat Linux 6

10. Python and Red Hat Linux 6.0

11. strange ImportError on Red Hat Linux python installation

12. Gnu prolog install on Red Hat Linux