CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang
Author Message
 CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang

It never fails...I've just upgraded my system at work and am having a
problem with the linker{*filter*} on one specific app (10 others with
similar structure don't).  I've culled code down to a fairly simple
module with nothing more complex than a list of various sized
character, integer, and real data type declarations followed by a
short 1 line main (in the same file).  When I comment/uncomment a
portion of the module, an INTEGER(1) or INTEGER(2) declaration, I can
either make the link hang or not.  I have created a link_repro
environment variable which caused the linker to copy all files of
interest to a local directory (I added the source file).  I have two of
those directories zipped, one with a "good" main .obj and one with a
"bad" main .obj, but not sure what to do next.

I had no similar problems on my prior NT 4 system (same compiler and
libraries freshly installed on new system), the new system is W2000
SP2.  Moved VS paths to front of path string, verified correct link.exe
being executed, etc.  I've deleted all project-related files (.dsp,
.dsw) and created all new ones with no change.  CVF was freshly
installed from 6.5 CD > 65 to 66 patch > 66 to 66b patch > 66b to 66c
patch.  Tried also disabling McAfee and video drivers (guess from
researching MS reporting VS hangs).  I reported to Compaq earlier in the
week, but message indicates "they're behind" (unsure who "they" are).  I
will keep working on it (after my team accountability review on
Wednesday), but if anyone is interested in looking (i.e. curious and not
busy), they are here:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; (content of directory without
the problem (including compiled object file and source))
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;   (content of directory with
the problem)
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;       (the particular version of
link.exe)

--

Gary Scott

fortran Library
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:25:37 GMT
 CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang

saga of failing linker after upgrade/patch...

Gary, just a wonder--is it possible to back out the patch with the CVF
update kit?  (I've updated mine a couple of times but don't recall
whether that feature is included or not--haven't yet updated to the
latest patch here, btw, so no comparative data on that).

Anyway, my question was, if you <can> back the patch out, does the
problem go away?  I'm wondering if there's some system dll that perhaps
got munged?

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:42:44 GMT
 CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang

Quote:

> saga of failing linker after upgrade/patch...

> Gary, just a wonder--is it possible to back out the patch with the CVF
> update kit?  (I've updated mine a couple of times but don't recall
> whether that feature is included or not--haven't yet updated to the
> latest patch here, btw, so no comparative data on that).

> Anyway, my question was, if you <can> back the patch out, does the
> problem go away?  I'm wondering if there's some system dll that perhaps
> got munged?

It happened from 6.5 directly from the CD, with 6.6B installed from the
patch kit and then with 6.6C installed from the patch kit.  The worst
part is that it hangs developer studio as well.  LINK.EXE cannot be
terminated (with admin rights) unless I power off the computer (shutdown
doesn't even work).

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library
http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:  http://g95.sourceforge.net

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:50:22 GMT
 CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang
Clarification for those expressing an interest:  zipped examples were
run with 6.6B.  Installation of 6.6C only changed the number of
statements that needed to be uncommented to make the problem recur.
I've been told that the problem does not duplicate on a similarly
configured system (not surprising, but this has been quite a frustrating
endeavor to get this system configured).  I bet it is the virus scanner,
but this is one of those "managed" PCs and it takes an act of Congress
(and a week of waiting for the messages to relay from Texas to Colorado
and back to the floor below me where the techs sit) to change the
standard image, so I can test it for certain (not sure my disable attemp
really disabled all of it).

Quote:

> It never fails...I've just upgraded my system at work and am having a
> problem with the linker{*filter*} on one specific app (10 others with
> similar structure don't).  I've culled code down to a fairly simple
> module with nothing more complex than a list of various sized
> character, integer, and real data type declarations followed by a
> short 1 line main (in the same file).  When I comment/uncomment a
> portion of the module, an INTEGER(1) or INTEGER(2) declaration, I can
> either make the link hang or not.  I have created a link_repro
> environment variable which caused the linker to copy all files of
> interest to a local directory (I added the source file).  I have two of
> those directories zipped, one with a "good" main .obj and one with a
> "bad" main .obj, but not sure what to do next.

> I had no similar problems on my prior NT 4 system (same compiler and
> libraries freshly installed on new system), the new system is W2000
> SP2.  Moved VS paths to front of path string, verified correct link.exe
> being executed, etc.  I've deleted all project-related files (.dsp,
> .dsw) and created all new ones with no change.  CVF was freshly
> installed from 6.5 CD > 65 to 66 patch > 66 to 66b patch > 66b to 66c
> patch.  Tried also disabling McAfee and video drivers (guess from
> researching MS reporting VS hangs).  I reported to Compaq earlier in the
> week, but message indicates "they're behind" (unsure who "they" are).  I
> will keep working on it (after my team accountability review on
> Wednesday), but if anyone is interested in looking (i.e. curious and not
> busy), they are here:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; (content of directory without
> the problem (including compiled object file and source))
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;   (content of directory with
> the problem)
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;       (the particular version of
> link.exe)

> --

> Gary Scott

> Fortran Library
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:01:23 GMT
 CVF 6.6B/C LINK.EXE Hang
For those (if any) interested in my mental/emotional well being, the
problem was indeed the McAfee on-demand scanner.  What a pain...It is
odd though, because the same scan engine and settings were used on the
older (much slower) WinNT system.

Quote:

> It never fails...I've just upgraded my system at work and am having a
> problem with the linker{*filter*} on one specific app (10 others with
> similar structure don't).  I've culled code down to a fairly simple
> module with nothing more complex than a list of various sized
> character, integer, and real data type declarations followed by a
> short 1 line main (in the same file).  When I comment/uncomment a
> portion of the module, an INTEGER(1) or INTEGER(2) declaration, I can
> either make the link hang or not.  I have created a link_repro
> environment variable which caused the linker to copy all files of
> interest to a local directory (I added the source file).  I have two of
> those directories zipped, one with a "good" main .obj and one with a
> "bad" main .obj, but not sure what to do next.

> I had no similar problems on my prior NT 4 system (same compiler and
> libraries freshly installed on new system), the new system is W2000
> SP2.  Moved VS paths to front of path string, verified correct link.exe
> being executed, etc.  I've deleted all project-related files (.dsp,
> .dsw) and created all new ones with no change.  CVF was freshly
> installed from 6.5 CD > 65 to 66 patch > 66 to 66b patch > 66b to 66c
> patch.  Tried also disabling McAfee and video drivers (guess from
> researching MS reporting VS hangs).  I reported to Compaq earlier in the
> week, but message indicates "they're behind" (unsure who "they" are).  I
> will keep working on it (after my team accountability review on
> Wednesday), but if anyone is interested in looking (i.e. curious and not
> busy), they are here:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ; (content of directory without
> the problem (including compiled object file and source))
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;   (content of directory with
> the problem)
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;       (the particular version of
> link.exe)

> --

> Gary Scott

> Fortran Library
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:26:29 GMT

1. CVF 6.6B – slow calculation speed

2. Compatibility between IVF 8.0 and CVF 6.6B

3. integer(8) problem with CVF 6.6B

4. Show image in CVF 6.6b

5. Difference in pointer and allocatables between FPS 4.0 compiler and CVF 6.6B

6. Move from FPS 4.0 to CVF 6.6B breaks program

7. CVF hangs when debugging

8. Link .asm file without link.exe?

9. UPG using CS.exe

10. Humonguous CVF exe size

11. Abt.exe hangs around

12. Hanging of clipper 5.3 exe when indexing.