Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?
Author Message
 Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?

Hi!  I'm planning to acquire a fortran compiler to do some moderately
intensive simulations under DOS (and, hopefully soon, OS2) and I have
the following questions to more experienced programmers:

1. Is Microsoft Fortran (V. 5.1) worth buying (at $59.00)?

2. If so, will it benefit from running under OS2 2.0 (I'm quite sure the
   answer is "yes")?  In which way(s)?

3. Does it support any of those nice Fortran-90 enhancements?

4. If the answer to 1. is no, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance - if these are FAQs, please just point me the right way.

Helio Zwi

Sun, 02 Oct 1994 08:19:24 GMT
 Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?

Quote:

> Hi!  I'm planning to acquire a Fortran compiler to do some moderately
> intensive simulations under DOS (and, hopefully soon, OS2) and I have
> the following questions to more experienced programmers:

> 1. Is Microsoft Fortran (V. 5.1) worth buying (at $59.00)?

That is an excellent price.  The price in campus bookstores (based on
the educational discount) is usually in the $250 ballpark, whereas
mailorder prices are often closer to $300.  Version 5.1 isn't perfect,
but it is worth $59.

Quote:
> 2. If so, will it benefit from running under OS2 2.0 (I'm quite sure the
>    answer is "yes")?  In which way(s)?

Yes and no.  The compiler still generates 16-bit code, so programs won't
run as fast as those compiled with a 32-bit compiler.  On the other hand,
some of the functions of a program are handled by the underlying operating
system (such as disk I/O), and here the 32-bit kernal of OS/2 version 2.0
will show a performance improvement over the same code (but 16-bit) run
under OS/2 version 1.X.

Quote:
> 3. Does it support any of those nice Fortran-90 enhancements?

Yes, such as array syntax, although the manual warns you that the code
generated may not be as efficient as that produced by explicit DO loops.
It has structures, though I'm not positive they conform to the Fortran 90
standard, DO WHILE, SELECT CASE, and support for longer variable names,
among other things.

Quote:
> 4. If the answer to 1. is no, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Well, the answer to 1 wasn't no, but I do have another suggestion.  WATCOM
will release by the end of this month a 32-bit compiler that will run under
OS/2 version 2.0.  Although normally $895, you can get it for $250 if part
of an educational institution.  Still a bit more pricey than the $59 you
mentioned (which is probably a rare bargain), but it can do cross development
for DOS, Windows, or OS/2, comes with a royalty-free DOS extender, and the
usual utilities like a de{*filter*}.  The big advantage will be in speed, being
able to produce 32-bit code.  Also, with the flat memory model of OS/2
version 2.0, those annoying 64 kbyte segments go away, and with the virtual
memory support of OS/2, you can create applications that can address as
much as 512 Mbytes of memory (more practically limited by available disk
space).  If you routinely work on big programs, you may run into the limits
of the Microsoft compiler.  The WATCOM compiler isn't a total unknown.  The
new OS/2 version is based on their earlier 32-bit compiler for the DOS
extender environment (version 8.5), which has received good reviews.  In
fact, the new 32-bit OS/2 compiler will be called version 9.0.

Sun, 02 Oct 1994 18:07:03 GMT
 Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?

Quote:

>Hi!  I'm planning to acquire a Fortran compiler to do some moderately
>intensive simulations under DOS (and, hopefully soon, OS2) and I have
>the following questions to more experienced programmers:

>1. Is Microsoft Fortran (V. 5.1) worth buying (at $59.00)?

>2. If so, will it benefit from running under OS2 2.0 (I'm quite sure the
>   answer is "yes")?  In which way(s)?

>3. Does it support any of those nice Fortran-90 enhancements?

>4. If the answer to 1. is no, does anyone have any other suggestions?

>Thank you in advance - if these are FAQs, please just point me the right way.

>Helio Zwi

MS-Fortran is only a 16-bit compiler, thus it will not perform any better under
OS/2 v2 than it does under v1.3.  For instance, it will have the usual limit of
16 MB, instead of 1 GB, and will not show any speed increase because of the
flat addressing mode and 32-bit operations.

The other limitation is that the SDK is required to develop any PM programs.
Ordinary command line programs (text based) obviously don't require this.

I think that the dynamic allocation feature is broke--I couldn't get it to
work and all I got was protected-mode violations when I tried to use dynamic
arrays.  I have not tried the array assignment features.

But you can use multiple threading (_DON'T_ forget to include the appropriate
INTERFACE statement!) and can use HFPS, EA's, and all of the other text-mode
functions.  (Watch out! the include files for v5.1 are woefully incomplete--get
the include files from v5.0.)

For $59, get it!  Unless you want a better compiler:  Watcom's 32-bit compiler
will soon be available for OS/2 v2 (it already supports DOS, extended DOS, and
OS/2 v1.3).  By all that I've heard it is a really good compiler, and it will
get you all the advantages of OS/2 v2.  The acedemic price is reportedly only
about $250.

Regards
Steve Kassarjian

Sun, 02 Oct 1994 22:45:34 GMT
 Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?

Quote:

>MS-Fortran is only a 16-bit compiler, thus it will not perform any better under
>OS/2 v2 than it does under v1.3.  For instance, it will have the usual limit of
>16 MB, instead of 1 GB, and will not show any speed increase because of the
>flat addressing mode and 32-bit operations.

Actually, I am not sure about the 1GB limit. There has been a discussion
a while ago in the comp.os.os2.misc group about OS/2 being able to address
more than 16M, and some people claimed that it is only on none ISA buses
(i.e. Micro-channel Architecture or EISA). I dont know if they are right.

Quote:
>I think that the dynamic allocation feature is broke--I couldn't get it to
>work and all I got was protected-mode violations when I tried to use dynamic
>arrays.

I managed to get dynamic arrays with v5.0. If your arrays are larger
than 64k, you must declare them with the [HUGE] attribute, or compile
your program in the huge memory model. I dont know about v5.1.

Quote:
>Regards
>Steve Kassarjian

Dov Bai

Mon, 03 Oct 1994 04:27:02 GMT

Dov Bai writes:
> Actually, I am not sure about the 1GB limit. There has been a discussion
> a while ago in the comp.os.os2.misc group about OS/2 being able to address
> more than 16M, and some people claimed that it is only on none ISA buses
> (i.e. Micro-channel Architecture or EISA). I dont know if they are right.

Under OS/2 version 1.X, the limit was 16 Mbytes.  Under OS/2 version 2.0,
the per-process limit is 512 Mbytes, but I understand that the next
version will raise the limit to 2 Gbytes.  The full 4 Gbytes that 32 bits
can address isn't quite available, because they apparently need one or
more of those bits to translate 16-bit addresses into 32-bit addresses and
vice versa (needed for DOS, Windows, and OS/2 version 1.X support).

Whether the hardware underlying the operating system imposes its own limit
isn't something I'm in a very good position to address, but OS/2 is not
the limiting factor.

Mon, 03 Oct 1994 16:03:43 GMT
 Best compiler for a 386 (DOS/OS2v2)?

Quote:

> Hi!  I'm planning to acquire a Fortran compiler to do some moderately
> intensive simulations under DOS (and, hopefully soon, OS2) and I have
> the following questions to more experienced programmers:
> 1. Is Microsoft Fortran (V. 5.1) worth buying (at $59.00)?
> 2. If so, will it benefit from running under OS2 2.0 (I'm quite sure the
>    answer is "yes")?  In which way(s)?
> 3. Does it support any of those nice Fortran-90 enhancements?
> 4. If the answer to 1. is no, does anyone have any other suggestions?
> Thank you in advance - if these are FAQs, please just point me the right way.
> Helio Zwi

   Check out NDP-Fortran-386 and/or NDP-Fortran-486 from Microway.
508-746-7341.    Or you can order it from a mail-order catalog for
a little bit cheaper, 1-800-336-1166 (The Programmer's Connection).

--
Dave Appel
The Grafted Branch BBS

uucp: ..!uunet!grafted.UUCP!dappel
 = = Grafted Branch BBS (317) 889-6997 2 Gig on-line = =

Tue, 04 Oct 1994 03:01:07 GMT

1. DOS (386+) Oberon compiler?

2. looking for a PL/I compiler for 386+ in MSDOS or NT-DOS

3. Releases of Free Ada Compilers for DOS/386 and Macintosh

4. 386-Fortran compiler for DOS wanted

5. Which is the best fortran compiler for a 386 running Sys V R3.2

6. SCM for DOS or DOS/386

7. Lahey EM/32 w OS/386, NDP-386 w Pharlap, Watcom 77/386

8. j/386 problems with DOS extender

9. IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

10. IBM370 emulator for 386 running MS-DOS

11. DOS (G)AWK-386?

12. porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix