gfortran and ifort, compatible binary files??
Author Message
 gfortran and ifort, compatible binary files??

Dear group

Do the newest versions of gfortran and ifort use the same formats for
binary files?

                                                            Niels

Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:48:10 GMT
 gfortran and ifort, compatible binary files??

Quote:
>Do the newest versions of gfortran and ifort use the same formats for
>binary files?

Not by default.  gfortran defaults to 8 byte record markers on most
systems, which is incompatible with Intel.

If you specify -frecord-marker=4, you get four-byte record markers.
This also limits your maximum record size to 2 GB, as gfortran
doesn't support the continued ifort's continued records.

If you work on a big-endian system and want to write files readable
on little-endian system with ifort, you will also need to specify
-fconvert=little-endian.

Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:48:57 GMT
 gfortran and ifort, compatible binary files??

Quote:

> >Do the newest versions of gfortran and ifort use the same formats for
> >binary files?

> Not by default.  gfortran defaults to 8 byte record markers on most
> systems, which is incompatible with Intel.

and with almost everything else. :-( I wish they put the default the
other way, as this means I'll have to explain the extra complication for
anyone using it (such compatibility tends to be needed in my area). It
isn't an insurmountable problem - just an extra nuisance.

--
Richard Maine                    | Good judgement comes from experience;
domain: summertriangle           |  -- Mark Twain

Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:29:25 GMT

1. gfortran and ifort unformatted files

2. ifort, gfortran and %val

3. gfortran and ifort gave the different result.

4. Portable isfinite for gfortran 4.0.3 and ifort 8.1/9.0

5. ifort Readin binary data generated by pgi

6. SOLVED: Upgrade to glibc 2.3.4 breaks Linux ifort binaries

7. Upgrade to glibc 2.3.4 breaks Linux ifort binaries

8. Reading a binary file / writing binary data to a file

9. gfortran binaries for MinGW-Win32?

10. Gfortran 4.4 binary (OpenMP and 64bit capability) for PPC Tiger

11. binary of variant of gfortran release 4.2.3 for windows