s: win95/98 compiler
Author Message
 s: win95/98 compiler

Hello All ..

I'm looking for a Win95/98 compiler.. I've just looked a little bit
around on the web but the only compilers I've found were not free..

Does anyone know an url where I could get a compiler for win?

Thanks..

Greetings Michi

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 s: win95/98 compiler

Quote:

>Hello All ..

>I'm looking for a Win95/98 compiler.. I've just looked a little bit
>around on the web but the only compilers I've found were not free..

>Does anyone know an url where I could get a compiler for win?

GNU g77 is always free, but note that it's a f77 compiler (with quite
a few of the commonly used extensions), not f90/95.

  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~khan/software/gnu-win32/

There are three different ports of g77 to the win9x platforms, so you
need to pick the one that matches your need best. Note that the package
contains C/C++/ObjC/F77 compilers, and please don't ask me to split them
up by individual languages.

There is also Lahey's Essential Lahey fortran, a modern subset of f90.

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Of course, Lahey's posts to this group neglects to mention that the free
version is rather crippled (no optimization, not on-line source level
de{*filter*}) ;-)

Regards,
Mumit

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 s: win95/98 compiler

;>Hello All ..
;>
;>I'm looking for a Win95/98 compiler.. I've just looked a little bit
;>around on the web but the only compilers I've found were not free..
;>
;>Does anyone know an url where I could get a compiler for win?

[g77 in one or another flavor is available for free]

; There is also Lahey's Essential Lahey Fortran, a modern subset of f90.
;
;   http://www.*-*-*.com/

; Of course, Lahey's posts to this group neglects to mention that the free
; version is rather crippled (no optimization, not on-line source level
; de{*filter*}) ;-)

I respectfully beg to differ with Mumit.  Lahey's ELF90 is not crippled.
Mumit is correct that it does not have the optimizations of Lahey's other
products, nor does ELF come with a source-level de{*filter*}.  Still, for
many uses ELF gets the job done, and the subset of F90 it implements
is more than adequate for learning F90 or using F90 for new code
development, in my opinion.

could try one of the HPF/F90->F77 preprocessors in conjunction with
g77, if he/she needs a 'free' F90 compiler.  A web page to look at
for such preprocessors is:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Adaptor looks like the most actively developed of the 'free'
HPF/F90/F95->F77 preprocessors.

What using such a 'free' preprocessor would entail, is compiling
the F90 source, which would produce F77 source, then compiling
the F77 source with 'g77' to get an executable binary.
So minimally you need a C compiler already to compile the preprocessor,
and for that, 'gcc' is one obvious candidate.

--
-lg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 s: win95/98 compiler

Quote:

>I respectfully beg to differ with Mumit.  Lahey's ELF90 is not crippled.
>Mumit is correct that it does not have the optimizations of Lahey's other
>products, nor does ELF come with a source-level de{*filter*}.  Still, for
>many uses ELF gets the job done, and the subset of F90 it implements
>is more than adequate for learning F90 or using F90 for new code
>development, in my opinion.

I agree. "limited", instead "crippled", would describe the free edition
of Lahey ELF90 better. I did add the usual quotes and smiley to squirm
out of sticky situations such as this.

Thanks for the pointers to the preprocessors.

Regards,
Mumit

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Q: PL1-Compiler for WIN95, 98 or NT 4.0

2. Win95/98 look updates

3. RAS in Win95/98

4. Win95/98 Console Print Speed Problem: SOLVED!

5. Transition from win95/98 env. to winnt4.0

6. Can't delete a record under Win95/98

7. Create Shortcuts on Win95/98

8. corrupt CWBRW error in WIN95 & 98

9. NT / win95/98 Date/time problem HELP!!

10. Adding icon to SystemTray in win95/98/nt

11. Lock problems with Win95/98

12. vouch32.lib under win95/98