Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup
Author Message
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup

Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of the C++ programming language, will be
at
my employer on Monday, May 5 to conduct the following two presentations:

Speaking C++ as a Native Language (Multi-Paradigm Programming in
Standard C++)
C++ Where Performance Matters

What fortran-related (but relevant) questions can I pose? :-)

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:51:30 GMT
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup

Quote:
> Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of the C++ programming language,
> will be at my employer on Monday, May 5 to conduct the following
> two presentations:

> Speaking C++ as a Native Language (Multi-Paradigm Programming
> in Standard C++)
> C++ Where Performance Matters

> What Fortran-related (but relevant) questions can I pose? :-)

Looking back 20+ years of development, what current features of C++ he
considers to be triumphant and what are "screw-ups"?  Those experiences
may benefit future Fortran development.

--
Best Regards,
Greg Chien

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:30:42 GMT
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup
"Gary L. Scott"

You might ask about parallelization. As far as I know, most compiler
parallelization is done for Fortran. Where could a C++ compiler
support parallelization, or what classes etc could a user write to
support parallel code.

Gene Wagenbreth
ISI
(310)448-8213

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 00:57:25 GMT
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup

Quote:
>You might ask about parallelization. As far as I know, most compiler
>parallelization is done for Fortran. Where could a C++ compiler
>support parallelization, or what classes etc could a user write to
>support parallel code.

Most C++ compilers built on a base C compiler that auto-parallelize
also auto-parallelize C++, although the idiom needed is simple for()
loops. In short, if you can write FORTRAN in any language (the mark of
a Real Programmer), you're all set.

:-)

greg

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 02:54:28 GMT
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup
Hello,

IIRC, Dr. Stroustrup has, IIRC, mentioned that there are some features
of C++ he considers to be not up to the standard of the rest
of the language.  What are those features, and will he be recommending
that an obsolescent list be started as a part of the C++ Standard
to discourage use with an eye towards eliminating these features
in some future edition of the standard?  Or is forever backwards
compatibility more important and why?

There are some features (e.g., arrays) of C which even
the originators of C recognize as admitting of improvement,
but got locked into C early on.  With C development essentially
completed (the "embedded real-time extensions" being
the last features to be added to C), does Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup
see C++ ever improving upon these C-isms, or does he consider
compatibility with C as more important and why?

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:51:30 -0500, "Gary L. Scott"

Quote:

>Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of the C++ programming language, will be
>at
>my employer on Monday, May 5 to conduct the following two presentations:

>Speaking C++ as a Native Language (Multi-Paradigm Programming in
>Standard C++)
>C++ Where Performance Matters

>What Fortran-related (but relevant) questions can I pose? :-)

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:20:25 GMT
 Fortran Questions for Dr. Stroustrup
Thanks to all.  I am collecting/studying these.  It isn't certain yet
that I'll be able to attend (limited seating or whether I'll have time)
or that there will be question/answer sessions (likely though).

In case someone (based upon an email I received) got the wrong
impression from the posting that I was contemplating a
rude/confrontational approach, I was not.  I just thought that if the
opportunity arose, I'd like to be able to work the subject of F95 (or a
related subject) into the collective consciousness of the attendees, but
hopefully in a relevant way and one that won't make me look like a
lunatic (after all, it will be populated with C devotees ready at the
attack at the mention of Fortran).

Quote:

> Hello,

> IIRC, Dr. Stroustrup has, IIRC, mentioned that there are some features
> of C++ he considers to be not up to the standard of the rest
> of the language.  What are those features, and will he be recommending
> that an obsolescent list be started as a part of the C++ Standard
> to discourage use with an eye towards eliminating these features
> in some future edition of the standard?  Or is forever backwards
> compatibility more important and why?

> There are some features (e.g., arrays) of C which even
> the originators of C recognize as admitting of improvement,
> but got locked into C early on.  With C development essentially
> completed (the "embedded real-time extensions" being
> the last features to be added to C), does Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup
> see C++ ever improving upon these C-isms, or does he consider
> compatibility with C as more important and why?

> --
> Cheers!

> Dan Nagle
> Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:51:30 -0500, "Gary L. Scott"

> >Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of the C++ programming language, will be
> >at
> >my employer on Monday, May 5 to conduct the following two presentations:

> >Speaking C++ as a Native Language (Multi-Paradigm Programming in
> >Standard C++)
> >C++ Where Performance Matters

> >What Fortran-related (but relevant) questions can I pose? :-)

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library
http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:  http://g95.sourceforge.net

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:41:01 GMT

1. Fortran 2003 article in Dr. Dobb's Journal

2. Questions to Dr. Rx

3. "Dr. Know" career question

4. Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

5. Bjarne Stroustrup mentions Smalltalk (was java book author mentions Smalltalk)

6. Stroustrup on Java?

7. DR 4.0 of Motorola FORTRAN for the PowerMac ships

8. "Dr. O", "Dr. John", etc. etc.

9. need to contact Dr. Ken Iverson re PhD

10. Looking for Dr. GoodBar!

11. Dr. Watson for NT

12. Dr. Watson for Windows NT