Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix
Author Message
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix

        Does anybody know if there is a Unix like front end for the Compaq or
Intel fortran for Microsoft Services for Unix?  I am trying to port a
UNIX Fortran program over to Windows.  I would like to keep the same
development and runtime environment.  There are some Fortran to C calls,
so I would like to not have to rewrite the C code.
        The main problem is that that Windows Fortan compilers don't accept
arguements like -o or -O3, because Windows is not case sensitive.  (But
SFU is....)  I would have to think someone has done this before.

Thanks,
Tony

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:07:19 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix

Quote:

>Subject: Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix

>Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:07:19 -0400
>Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran

>    Does anybody know if there is a Unix like front end for the Compaq or
>Intel Fortran for Microsoft Services for Unix?  I am trying to port a
>UNIX Fortran program over to Windows.  I would like to keep the same
>development and runtime environment.  There are some Fortran to C calls,
>so I would like to not have to rewrite the C code.
>    The main problem is that that Windows Fortan compilers don't accept
>arguements like -o or -O3, because Windows is not case sensitive.  (But
>SFU is....)  I would have to think someone has done this before.

>Thanks,
>Tony

1. If I understood the various web pages I stumbled through the old
   Interix "port of Unix to Win/NT" is now available as a free
   download for Win/XP. It is based on the POSIX personality that is
   part of Win/NT and follow-ons. It was somewhere under the Services
   for Unix on the MicroSoft site. It is a full case sensitive Unix
   on top of the Win/NT kernel.

2. The various compiler arguements are always compiler dependent
   so why do you expect a Windows Fortran compiler to accept the
   arguments for the last/any Unix compiler you used? There is some
   amount of imitation between vendors so things are often similar
   but the detailed meaning of optimization settings is still rather
   variable.

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:59:27 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:07:19 -0400, Anthony Iannetti

Quote:

>    The main problem is that that Windows Fortan compilers don't accept
>arguements like -o or -O3, because Windows is not case sensitive.  (But
>SFU is....)  I would have to think someone has done this before.

This isn't the case - a compiler on Windows can choose to treat command line
options as case-sensitive and some do.  Intel Visual Fortran for Windows
supports "UNIX-like" switches with dash introducers and many of the same
switches on its Windows and Linux versions.  Intel Fortran also provides an
undocumented -unix switch which allows the use of UNIX-style path names on a
command line, if you're using a shell such as Cygwin or MKS.

Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

  http://softwareforums.intel.com/
Intel Fortran Support
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:48:23 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix
Steve,

        I have a registered (paid for) copy of Intel 7.1, 8.0 for Windows.  I
do not have Intel Visual Fortran.  Does the -unix switch work for 7.1 or
8.0 ?  I know that CVF supports dashes.  I am guessing the plain intel
does, too.  Once again, it is the -O and -o issue.

Thanks,
Tony

Quote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:07:19 -0400, Anthony Iannetti

>>        The main problem is that that Windows Fortan compilers don't accept
>>arguements like -o or -O3, because Windows is not case sensitive.  (But
>>SFU is....)  I would have to think someone has done this before.

> This isn't the case - a compiler on Windows can choose to treat command line
> options as case-sensitive and some do.  Intel Visual Fortran for Windows
> supports "UNIX-like" switches with dash introducers and many of the same
> switches on its Windows and Linux versions.  Intel Fortran also provides an
> undocumented -unix switch which allows the use of UNIX-style path names on a
> command line, if you're using a shell such as Cygwin or MKS.

> Steve Lionel
> Software Products Division
> Intel Corporation
> Nashua, NH

> User communities for Intel Software Development Products
>   http://softwareforums.intel.com/
> Intel Fortran Support
>   http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:09:33 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix
Gordon,

        Our code, NCC, has been ported to IRIX, Linux, Solaris, Unicos, HP-UX,
Tru64, and AIX.  Yes, the compilers use different switches, but there is
a lot of similarity.  They all use the -o switch.  My agency also forced
some standardization for the compilers, to encourage competition.
        I like Fortran 95.  However, there is very little support from
development tools like automake and autoconfigure.  So you have to make
your own Makefiles and your own "system" for some type of development
environment.  When you have a ~500,000 lines of code, and very large
make files, you don't want to change very quickly.
        This is all my own opinion.  I cannot speak for NASA.  Only the NASA
Administrator can speak for NASA.  (I have to say this.)

Thanks,
Tony

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:23:02 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix

Quote:
>Intel Fortran also provides an
>undocumented -unix switch

?undocumented? Not any more ;-)

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:01:22 GMT
 Fortran Unix Like Front End for MS Services for Unix
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:09:33 -0400, Anthony Iannetti

Quote:

>Steve,

>    I have a registered (paid for) copy of Intel 7.1, 8.0 for Windows.  I
>do not have Intel Visual Fortran.  Does the -unix switch work for 7.1 or
>8.0 ?  I know that CVF supports dashes.  I am guessing the plain intel
>does, too.  Once again, it is the -O and -o issue.

8.0 is Intel Visual Fortran. 7.1 does implement -unix. Note that -o and -O are
different options and the compiler does distinguish these. The Intel compilers
for Windows generally support both dash and slash introducers even without
-unix.  You'd need -unix if you had pathnames starting with slashes.

Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

  http://softwareforums.intel.com/
Intel Fortran Support
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:59:30 GMT

1. Windows GUI front end to Unix Fortran prog ?

2. Front end to unix command 'find'

3. Fortran interpreter as Windows front end

4. Fortran front end for pps (Postscript Pretty Printer)

5. ACK fortran front end

6. FORTRAN compiler front end

7. US - BA, DESIGNERS NEEDED !! FRONT-END / BACK-END

8. CAD Engineer *** Front-End and Back-End Tool *** for Silicon Graphics, Mountain View, CA

9. US - BA, DESIGNERS NEEDED !! FRONT-END / BACK-END

10. Visual Basic front end and Cobol back end

11. web front-end, Python back end?