Is FORTRAN code must be converted when system upgrade?
Author Message
 Is FORTRAN code must be converted when system upgrade?

There is a problem from a client. Their fortran program can be run under
VMS 5.4 but can not be run under ASP open VMS 6.1. They said those Fortran
source code must be converted in compatable with new system. Is there any
way not to convert code but tell compiler in new system that this is a old
program run in old version of the system? If code must be converted which
part of the program must be concerned most?
Is there any one have this problem and would like share the experience?
or give some suggestion.
Thank you and appreciate your response.
|    Ren  Xiaoqang        |                                |

|    Radford VA 24141     |      Home (703) 639-4076       |

Thu, 28 Aug 1997 01:02:14 GMT
 Is FORTRAN code must be converted when system upgrade?

Quote:
(Xiaoqang Ren) writes:
>There is a problem from a client. Their FORTRAN program can be run under
>VMS 5.4 but can not be run under ASP open VMS 6.1. They said those Fortran
>source code must be converted in compatable with new system. Is there any
>way not to convert code but tell compiler in new system that this is a old
>program run in old version of the system? If code must be converted which
>part of the program must be concerned most?

I can't think of any reason for this to be so, unless the client's program
makes use of undocumented VMS system internals.  There is absolutely
no "conversion" of Fortran code required - the language has remained
entirely upwards compatible.  The only thing I can think of is that some
programs violate the standard by creating aliases between two or more
dummy arguments and/or COMMON variables.  The V6 compiler has an optimization
which depends on the program not breaking this rule.  There is an
/ASSUME=DUMMY_ALIASES switch to revert to the old behavior where the compiler
didn't do the optimization.  See the DEC Fortran release notes for more
details.

Please ask the client what the problem seems to be and let me know - I'll
try to help.
--

DEC Fortran Development           WWW:  http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation     CompuServe: 75263,3001

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:26:27 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. Converting AM/PM time to military and vise versa

3. System Bug, Or Am I Really Dense?

4. I am writing a operating system

5. Computer Systems Support Analyst III - Dallas, TX 7/2/98 10:43:35 AM

6. I am stuk CHECK my Code - access.txt (0/1)

7. hi i am tring to make some code that does this

8. Problem with file I/O on solaris .I am a newbie to fortran

9. Is Fortran great or am I stupid?

10. I am having array problems in MS FORTRAN ver 3.31

11. I am having compiler problems with MS FORTRAN 3.31

12. I am looking for library from Lahey Fortran 95 v.5.5