Excel xls file format
Author Message
 Excel xls file format

I need to import/export Excel *.xls files.  Does anyone know
where I can get a copy of the xls format?

Thanks,
Lin DeNoyer

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Excel xls file format
Hi,

Depending on what you want to do with the data, you might want to check
out F90SQL.  This allows you to read/write virtually any ODBC compliant
(via driver) database format.  At one time, there was also a free
demo/lite version available from Canaima Software that might just do
what you need:

http://www.canaimasoft.com

Quote:

--

Gary Scott

http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:  http://g95.sourceforge.net

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Excel xls file format
Excel reads and writes a special version of a text file called CSV (Comma
Separated Value).  It is fairly trivial to read and write CSV formatted
files
for specific numbers of columns.
I regularly write Fortran programs to massage CSV formatted data, which
is then reimported into Excel.

This may be a useful alternative to trying to read/write a binary format
that MS
changes three or four times each decade.  If you are interested, I can send

source for a few basic examples.
--
Kevin G. Rhoads, Ph.D. (The Cheshire Cat for official Internet mascot.)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Excel xls file format

Quote:

>Excel reads and writes a special version of a text file called CSV (Comma
>Separated Value).  It is fairly trivial to read and write CSV formatted
>files
>for specific numbers of columns.
>I regularly write Fortran programs to massage CSV formatted data, which
>is then reimported into Excel.

>This may be a useful alternative to trying to read/write a binary format
>that MS
>changes three or four times each decade.  If you are interested, I can send

>source for a few basic examples.

That sounds like an easy way to do it, and I'd jump right in, except for
one problem.  I am dealing with Excel files exported from commercial
spectroscopy software, and I don't think the user can always specify
CSV format for the export.

Thanks for the information. I need to bone up on these formats.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Excel xls file format
I've had pretty good luck with space-delimited files.  A couple of times
I've been asked to output some data from an unformatted file to something
that be pulled into an Excel spreadsheet.  My Fortran 77 program just writes
it out as an ASCII file, with the columns of data separated by spaces.  It's
no problem then to put it in an Excel file.

--
Jim Patterson

Quote:

> >Excel reads and writes a special version of a text file called CSV (Comma
> >Separated Value).  It is fairly trivial to read and write CSV formatted
> >files
> >for specific numbers of columns.
> >I regularly write Fortran programs to massage CSV formatted data, which
> >is then reimported into Excel.

> >This may be a useful alternative to trying to read/write a binary format
> >that MS
> >changes three or four times each decade.  If you are interested, I can
send

> >source for a few basic examples.

> That sounds like an easy way to do it, and I'd jump right in, except for
> one problem.  I am dealing with Excel files exported from commercial
> spectroscopy software, and I don't think the user can always specify
> CSV format for the export.

> Thanks for the information. I need to bone up on these formats.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Excel xls file format
It would be even easier to put your text file into Excel if you delimit with
_commas_ and then specify the .CSV extension.  Then all you do is double-
click the {*filter*}.

web.net says...

Quote:
> I've had pretty good luck with space-delimited files.  A couple of times
> I've been asked to output some data from an unformatted file to something
> that be pulled into an Excel spreadsheet.  My Fortran 77 program just writes
> it out as an ASCII file, with the columns of data separated by spaces.  It's
> no problem then to put it in an Excel file.

[snip]

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Excel users: here's a proc to convert XLS files to CSV format (correction)

2. Excel users: here's a proc to convert XLS files to CSV format

3. Fortran/C reading Excel (.xls) files

4. Read Excel (xls) files

5. Read .xls (Excel) files

6. Xls excel export

7. How to save a file as EXCEL format?

8. Excel 97 file format ?

9. Saving Excel files in dBase format?

10. Worksheet Library (Lotus/Excel) or File format

11. to store data in excel format using write to spreadsheet file

12. Excel file format