ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0
Author Message
 ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0

Hi,

I am porting some of my fortran F77 codes written for unix on to
PC. I am using MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION 4.0. Evrything compiled
ok and it runs ok. But for ETIME. I have used it for timing some
of the operations and worked ok on unix. The help on Powerstation
says it should also work on PC. Unfortunately all my efforts to
make it work failed. It always returns 0.000secs.

If anyone used ETIME on MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION4.0, please do post
your experiences and I would appreciate if you can help me make
ETIME work on PC(I am using AMDK6 processor with 233MHz clock,
if it matters).

Thanks

C.J.Reddy

Dr. C.J.Reddy, Senior Member IEEE|  Research Associate Professor
Mail Stop 490                    |  Dept of Electrical Engineering
NASA-Langley Research Center     |  School of Engg & Technology
HAMPTON VA 23681                 |  Hampton University
Ph : (757) 864 8435              |  HAMPTON VA 23668
Fax: (757) 864 7975              |

Sat, 13 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0

Quote:
> I am porting some of my fortran F77 codes written for unix on to
> PC. I am using MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION 4.0. Evrything compiled
> ok and it runs ok. But for ETIME. I have used it for timing some
> of the operations and worked ok on unix. The help on Powerstation
> says it should also work on PC. Unfortunately all my efforts to
> make it work failed. It always returns 0.000secs.

> If anyone used ETIME on MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION4.0, please do post
> your experiences and I would appreciate if you can help me make
> ETIME work on PC(I am using AMDK6 processor with 233MHz clock,
> if it matters).

Hi!

I suppose you are using Win95.  It is a documented bug of MSFPS 4.0
(but I don't know the KB number) that etime and dtime do not work
properly which is due to the fact that the system call GetProcessTime
does not work under 95.

Karsten Chmielewski

Sun, 14 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0

Thanks a lot for your reply on ETIME. I checked with Microsoft
KB and they suggest using TIMEF(). They gave a sample code
to replace ETIME with TIMEF(). I have not yet checked it with
my code and I hope it will work.

Thanks again

Regards

WWW : http://et.hamptonu.edu/~cjr/ (or) http://137.198.30.10/~cjr/

> > I am porting some of my fortran F77 codes written for unix on to
> > PC. I am using MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION 4.0. Evrything compiled
> > ok and it runs ok. But for ETIME. I have used it for timing some
> > of the operations and worked ok on unix. The help on Powerstation
> > says it should also work on PC. Unfortunately all my efforts to
> > make it work failed. It always returns 0.000secs.

> > If anyone used ETIME on MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION4.0, please do post
> > your experiences and I would appreciate if you can help me make
> > ETIME work on PC(I am using AMDK6 processor with 233MHz clock,
> > if it matters).
> Hi!

> I suppose you are using Win95.  It is a documented bug of MSFPS 4.0
> (but I don't know the KB number) that etime and dtime do not work
> properly which is due to the fact that the system call GetProcessTime
> does not work under 95.

> Karsten Chmielewski

Sun, 14 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0

ETIME reports .000 sec...
This problem also exists for   SYSTEM_CLOCK  &    DATE_AND_TIME

Here is a time routine extract from my workaround provided in
TEST_FPU.F90 benchmark source  found
at    ftp://members.aol.com/DaveGemini/TEST

that many of you have seen before.

! ---------------------------------------------------
FUNCTION timesec()  RESULT (time)
! ---------------------------------------------------
USE kinds
REAL(RK8) :: time
INTEGER :: itime, itick

CALL SYSTEM_CLOCK (itime, itick)
time = itime
time = time/itick

! MS-FPS4 users should use below time computation.
! INTEGER(2) :: hrs,mins,sec,i100
! CALL GETTIM(hrs,min,sec,i100)
! time = hrs*3600. + min*60. + sec + i100/100.
END FUNCTION timesec

Mon, 15 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ETIME on MS POWERSTATION 4.0

Quote:
>I am porting some of my fortran F77 codes written for unix on to

|>PC. I am using MS FORTRAN POWERSTATION 4.0. Evrything compiled
|>ok and it runs ok. But for ETIME. I have used it for timing some
|>of the operations and worked ok on unix. The help on Powerstation
|>says it should also work on PC. Unfortunately all my efforts to
|>make it work failed. It always returns 0.000secs.

The MS implementation of ETIME would return 0 on Windows 95 because it
assumes that if the CPU time returned is zero, there's an error.  We've
fixed this in DIGITAL Visual Fortran.
--

Fortran Development               http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation

For information on DIGITAL Fortran, see http://www.digital.com/fortran

Fri, 19 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ETIME function in MS PowerStation 4.0

2. ForSale: MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0

3. MS Powerstation 4.0 - HELP!!!!!

4. Looking for Fortran MS-Powerstation 4.0 Consultant

5. using imsl libraries in MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0

6. MS Powerstation 4.0 ?

7. MS Powerstation 4.0 memory limit bugs

8. FS:MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0 Professional Edition

9. query: known bugs in MS Powerstation 4.0?

10. FS: MS Fortran Powerstation 4.0 Professional Edition

11. MS Powerstation 4.0 patch

12. MS Powerstation 4.0 patch, RELIABLE??