Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
Author Message
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Hi,
I use the latest version of Compaq Visual fortran on a Windows system. CVF
development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They offer an
upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is
advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated. Does anybody have
experiences going that route already?
Thanks a lot.
--hh
--

Sat, 17 May 2008 00:25:45 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

NN a crit :

Quote:
> Hi,
> I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF
> development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They offer an
> upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is
> advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated. Does anybody have
> experiences going that route already?
> Thanks a lot.
> --hh

Sat, 17 May 2008 01:27:22 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
Quote:

> It would be also interesting to know what happens with and AMD Athlon
> processor. Does the Intel Visual Fortran proposes optimizations for AMD ?

ifort has options which support both AMD and Intel processors, but none
which intentionally favor AMD over Intel.

Sat, 17 May 2008 02:26:31 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
NN articulated on 11/28/05 17:25:

Quote:
> Hi,
> I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF
> development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They offer an
> upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is
> advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated. Does anybody have
> experiences going that route already?
> Thanks a lot.
> --hh

When I compile my nonlinear finite element code using

ifort -O3 -ip -ipo -c *.f90

the resulting executable is roughly 3 times faster than that produced by

g95 -O3 -malign-double -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops
-ffast-math -c *.f90

on Debian Linux version 3.1 running on Pentium M 1.7 GHz with 1GB RAM.
Note that, if I use the -fast option of ifort, execution is even faster
but the results produced are garbage and thus this does not count.

Of course, this does not provide a comparison of ifort with CVF's f90.
However, CVF's f90 does not run on Linux, and the comparison above might
give a hint as to how well ifort performs.

Does CVF's f90 perform 3 times better than g95 on Windows using the same
switches?

--
FCC.
===

Sat, 17 May 2008 03:06:14 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:
>ifort has options which support both AMD and Intel processors, but none
>which intentionally favor AMD over Intel.

Wow. Now that's some interesting double-speak.

-- greg

Sat, 17 May 2008 03:34:31 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:

>> It would be also interesting to know what happens with and AMD Athlon
>> processor. Does the Intel Visual Fortran proposes optimizations for AMD ?

> ifort has options which support both AMD and Intel processors, but none
> which intentionally favor AMD over Intel.

In other words, some optimisation for AMD, but not enough to threaten Intel.

Sat, 17 May 2008 03:45:56 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:

> Does CVF's f90 perform 3 times better than g95 on Windows using the same
> switches?

On your code.  How can he answer that?

Sat, 17 May 2008 03:46:58 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:

>>ifort has options which support both AMD and Intel processors, but none
>>which intentionally favor AMD over Intel.

> Wow. Now that's some interesting double-speak.

> -- greg

Speaking for PathScale, Intel's direct competitor and your employer, or for
yourself?

cheers,

Rich

Sat, 17 May 2008 03:44:58 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:
>Speaking for PathScale, Intel's direct competitor and your employer, or for
>yourself?

I think my history answers that pretty well: speaking for myself, not
PathScale. BTW, Intel does not consider our relationship to be
competition; we receive support from Intel for our efforts to produce
the best EM64T compiler, as well as for our future PCI
Express-connected interconnect chip, which will mostly be used
with Intel cpus.

-- greg
(working for, not speaking for, PathScale.)

Sat, 17 May 2008 04:00:25 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?
Gib Bogle articulated on 11/28/05 20:46:

Quote:

>>Does CVF's f90 perform 3 times better than g95 on Windows using the same
>>switches?

> On your code.  How can he answer that?

OK, I will find it out tomorrow and post the results.

--
FCC.
===

Sat, 17 May 2008 04:31:01 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:
> I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF development is being discontinued as of the end of this
> year. They offer an upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is advisable/desirable/necessary would be
> highly appreciated. Does anybody have experiences going that route already?

Yes, IVF 9 and MS Visual Studio 2003 are a good combo except for
one item.  MSVS 2003 and IVF do not support lookup of fortran symbols.
That is a major, major pain.

Lynn

Sat, 17 May 2008 06:24:45 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:

>>I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system. CVF development is being discontinued as of the end of this
>>year. They offer an upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether this is advisable/desirable/necessary would be
>>highly appreciated. Does anybody have experiences going that route already?

> Yes, IVF 9 and MS Visual Studio 2003 are a good combo except for
> one item.  MSVS 2003 and IVF do not support lookup of fortran symbols.

Excuse my thick-headedness, but what does "lookup of fortran symbols" mean?

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst

Sat, 17 May 2008 06:31:01 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:
>> Yes, IVF 9 and MS Visual Studio 2003 are a good combo except for
>> one item.  MSVS 2003 and IVF do not support lookup of fortran symbols.

> Excuse my thick-headedness, but what does "lookup of fortran symbols" mean?

I am sorry, I meant to say that the source code browser in MSVS does not
work with fortran symbols.  That means that the right mouse click "go to
definition" and "go to declaration" do not work for fortran variables and
fortran subroutines/functions.  Very painfull.

You can see a little more here:
   http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board/message?board.id=5&message....

Lynn

Sat, 17 May 2008 07:19:48 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:
> >> Yes, IVF 9 and MS Visual Studio 2003 are a good combo except for
> >> one item.  MSVS 2003 and IVF do not support lookup of fortran symbols.

> > Excuse my thick-headedness, but what does "lookup of fortran symbols"
mean?

> I am sorry, I meant to say that the source code browser in MSVS does not
> work with fortran symbols.  That means that the right mouse click "go to
> definition" and "go to declaration" do not work for fortran variables and
> fortran subroutines/functions.  Very painfull.

There are numerous reasons why IVF 9 and MS Visual Studio 2003/05 are NOT a
good combo, lookup of fortran symbols being least among them. This is
entirely due to intel ineptitude, Microsoft gave them all the latitude they
needed but they simply faltered, floundered, and failed. The duplicitous
intel automoton sees otherwise, but he's a mere corporate lackey paid to
decieve.

--
Cheers,
Hrundi V.B.

Sat, 17 May 2008 14:26:21 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran discontinued: upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran?

Quote:

> It would be also interesting to know what happens with and AMD Athlon
> processor. Does the Intel Visual Fortran proposes optimizations for AMD ?

I can't answer you about optimisations, but for me the upgrade process
was just a question of recompiling. YMMV of course, the code I'm working
on is far from cutting edge F95. I have an AMD Athlon processor and have
never had a problem with any compiler with it.

Catherine.

Quote:
> NN a crit :

>> Hi,
>> I use the latest version of Compaq Visual Fortran on a Windows system.
>> CVF development is being discontinued as of the end of this year. They
>> offer an upgrade to Intel Visual Fortran 9.0. Any thoughts on whether
>> this is advisable/desirable/necessary would be highly appreciated.
>> Does anybody have experiences going that route already?
>> Thanks a lot.
>> --hh

Sat, 17 May 2008 18:30:54 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran

2. Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?

3. Creating - Fortran 77 dll for use in Visual Basic 6.0 (not using Compaq Visual Fortran)

4. Compaq Visual Fortran 6.x-6.5 Discounted Upgrades

5. Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

6. Question on using Compaq Visual FORTRAN with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

7. Difference between Intel Visual Fortran and Compaq VF

8. Intel Visual Fortran Professional Edition - Pricing and Upgrades

9. using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express

10. Compaq visual fortran and Watcom fortran

11. makefile from linux lahey fortran to intel visual fortran on windows

12. Compaq Visual Fortran on WINDOWS Problem