Large-Scale Fortran Software Design 
Author Message
 Large-Scale Fortran Software Design

A while ago when I was struggling to adapt ideas in
Lakos' highly-regarded /Large-scale C++ Software Design/
book for our fortran-based FUN3D project, I uncovered
Mike Hall's Caesar code during a Google search.

At the time, I didn't manage to find very much that
held my interest, but this time around, I managed to
found a bunch of items that parallel many of the themes
and techniques that our FUN3D team employs.

Because Fortran software development techniques keep
appearing here lately, I thought I'd share some pointers
to the highlights:

Overview
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Self documentation, unit testing, and Lakos levelization
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Pragmatic design trade offs
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Design by contract
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Code generation
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Literate programming:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Runtime polymorphism
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Unit testing
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Data structures
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ #7323

Regards,
--
Bil
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:03:54 GMT  
 Large-Scale Fortran Software Design

Bil Kleb schreef:

Quote:
> A while ago when I was struggling to adapt ideas in
> Lakos' highly-regarded /Large-scale C++ Software Design/
> book for our Fortran-based FUN3D project, I uncovered
> Mike Hall's Caesar code during a Google search.

> At the time, I didn't manage to find very much that
> held my interest, but this time around, I managed to
> found a bunch of items that parallel many of the themes
> and techniques that our FUN3D team employs.

> Because Fortran software development techniques keep
> appearing here lately, I thought I'd share some pointers
> to the highlights:

Thanks for this list - I will pass it on to my colleagues.

I have read (sort of) Lakos' book, but the details were
overwhelming at the time (which is why I simply stopped
reading it ;)).

This looks at least promising - in particular because it
is Fortran-centric, not C++-centric.

Regards,

Arjen



Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:03:51 GMT  
 Large-Scale Fortran Software Design

Quote:

> I have read (sort of) Lakos' book, but the details were
> overwhelming at the time (which is why I simply stopped
> reading it ;)).

Yes, I found it a very difficult read, but my Ruby OO
knowledge (and a tiny bit of C++ knowledge) pulled me
through in the end.  The lessons, techniques, and ideas
were well worth the pain.

I wish we had a flavor for Fortran.

Quote:
> This looks at least promising - in particular because it
> is Fortran-centric, not C++-centric.

Yes.

Regards,
--
Bil
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov



Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:49:06 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Large Scale C++ Software Design by John Lakos.

2. OOPSLA'97 Workshop: Evolving Software in Large Scale Persistent Systems

3. OOPSLA'97 Workshop: Evolving Software in Large Scale Persistent Systems

4. Large-scale Fortran development under xenix

5. Fortran vs. C++ for engineering design software

6. FP in a larger scale (Re: Comparison of functional languages)

7. FP in a larger scale (Re: Comparison of functional languages)

8. SSE/3dnow scaled large vector add

9. Large-scale changes to the PAL this month

10. Summary: looking for large-scale NLP DCGs

11. looking for large-scale NLP DCGs

12. large scale pattern searching

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software