UNIX and VAX structure implementation similarities
Author Message
 UNIX and VAX structure implementation similarities

OK you fortran whiz-bangers, how do I design and code 1 product, which
must incorporate structures, that will compile with both our AIX XL
Fortran Compiler/6000 Version 3 compiler (Fortran90 yes!!! but that's
a different thread [maybe Fortran95 or whatever will support object-
orientation]) and our VAX Fortran Version 5.0 compiler (only Fortran77)?
The two compilers implementation of structures is so different, that I
consider this task impossible, and I can see no XL Fortran compiler flag
that allows compiling code that contains VAX extensions (that would be a
silly flag).

So if anyone has a suggestion (related to the above question), I'm all
ears (as Ross Perot might say [is it still hip to joke about him?]).
Please don't recommend :
  common blocks - the boss wants structures and I hate common blocks
  waiting for a VAX Fortran90 compiler - the boss is in a hurry
  buying some bizarre compiler - not an option

Thanks in advance.

Charles Cavanaugh

PS Please excuse my opinionatedness. I'm a na(t)ive C designer, and
   designing Fortran products makes me tense.
--

National Center For Atmospheric Research       Boulder, CO, USA

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:22:38 GMT
 UNIX and VAX structure implementation similarities

Quote:
(Charles Cavanaugh) writes:

|>OK you Fortran whiz-bangers, how do I design and code 1 product, which
|>must incorporate structures, that will compile with both our AIX XL
|>Fortran Compiler/6000 Version 3 compiler (Fortran90 yes!!! but that's
|>a different thread [maybe Fortran95 or whatever will support object-
|>orientation]) and our VAX Fortran Version 5.0 compiler (only Fortran77)?
|>The two compilers implementation of structures is so different, that I
|>consider this task impossible, and I can see no XL Fortran compiler flag
|>that allows compiling code that contains VAX extensions (that would be a
|>silly flag).

It wouldn't be silly; many non-Digital Fortran compilers have picked up on
VAX FORTRAN's STRUCTURE/RECORD extension.  IBM chose not to do so in
XL Fortran, however.

I don't know what to recommend to you other than to perhaps consider that
you're using the wrong platform.   If, for example, you were using
DEC Fortran 90 for DEC OSF/1 AXP, you could use VAX FORTRAN
STRUCTURE/RECORD as much as you want.

As for "waiting for a VAX Fortran 90 compiler"; you can buy Fortran 90
compilers for VAX systems today.  (These don't compile directly to object
form and may or may not be acceptable to you.)  See the FAQ for vendors.

Hey, there's always EQUIVALENCE! :-)
--

SDT Languages Group               WWW:  http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 05:12:40 GMT

1. Data structures and porting from VAX to LINUX

2. STRUCTURE/RECORD usage on VAX & SGI

3. Will f2c do VAX structures?

4. Emulating VAX structures

5. VAX Structure Support on IBM RS6K?

6. Advice on porting to F90 from F77 w/VAX structure record extensions

7. Structure Chart for VAX/VMS F77

8. WANTED : structure chart generator for VAX/VMS

9. VAX FORTRAN Structure vs Common Block Performance

10. Public domain FORTH for VAX VMS or UNIX

11. Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)

12. Fortran on Vax and on Unix