Comparing Computer Languages
Author Message
 Comparing Computer Languages

New newsgroups about programming and operating systems
Contact your ISP or NNTP server provider if you do not have them...
alt.politics.os2
alt.politics.unix
alt.politics.winnt
alt.comp.programming.anti-oop
alt.flame.java
alt.flame.operating-systems
alt.flame.programming-languages

--
Remove C from IP address to respond

Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:31:59 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages
Quote:
> New newsgroups about programming and operating systems
<snip>
> alt.flame.java

<snip>

The need for alt.flame.java shows me that Java finally has become the most
popular language. Looks like I have made the right decision with Java ;-)

--
Jan

Tejina - Das einzigartige japanische Zeichenlexikon (www.tejina.de)

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:21:40 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages
The final episode of Survivor was also popular.  Says more about the audience
than the quality of the show/series.  I'd be careful not to associate your
decisions too closely with what *everybody else* is doing.  Sun should
likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its mass popularity,
lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

--
.tom

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:55:59 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:
> The final episode of Survivor was also popular.  Says more about the
audience
> than the quality of the show/series.  I'd be careful not to associate your
> decisions too closely with what *everybody else* is doing.  Sun should
> likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its mass
popularity,
> lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

Well, I am already convinced that Java is a great language/platform. What
gives me additional relief now is to know that there is growing popularity
which shows me that also in future there will be up to date IDEs and other
3rd party products.

--
Jan

Tejina - Das einzigartige japanische Zeichenlexikon (www.tejina.de)

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:01:18 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

: Sun should likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its
: mass popularity, lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

Visual Basic surely owns that crown.
--
__________

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:18:23 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

>: Sun should likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its
>: mass popularity, lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

>Visual Basic surely owns that crown.

You've clearly never used VBScript......

--
Mark McIntyre

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 07:35:10 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages
Quote:

> : Sun should likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its
> : mass popularity, lest it become the "South  Park" of programming

languages.

Can you clarify this for me? What did you mean?

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:45:29 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

>The final episode of Survivor was also popular.  Says more about the audience
>than the quality of the show/series.  I'd be careful not to associate your
>decisions too closely with what *everybody else* is doing.  Sun should
>likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its mass popularity,
>lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

Hey, I like South Park.

Acme Optics

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:12:02 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

>: Sun should likewise be careful not to associate Java too much with its
>: mass popularity, lest it become the "South  Park" of programming languages.

>Visual Basic surely owns that crown.

Are you related in any way to the adventure character Tim Tyler from
the 30's movie serials? :-)

Acme Optics

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:13:35 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages
Those not familiar with American cable TV may be unfamiliar with the show,
South Park.  I'm unsure when it's on, but it's a cartoon featuring young,
poorly drawn characters with foul mouths that get into trouble surround by
{*filter*}s that aren't much better, only older.  One of the characters, Kenny, is
brutally killed in every episode.  It has a huge audience on Comedy Central
(the cabel channel).  Like The Simpson's, it's irreverant but humorous.
Though there are lots of people who enjoy South Park, it doesn't say much for
the audience's taste in entertainment, and analogously stating pride in using
a language simply because everybody else is using it *may* say as much about
its audience.

--
.tom

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:41:05 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

>Those not familiar with American cable TV may be unfamiliar with the show,
>South Park.  I'm unsure when it's on, but it's a cartoon featuring young,
>poorly drawn characters with foul mouths that get into trouble surround by
>{*filter*}s that aren't much better, only older.  One of the characters, Kenny, is
>brutally killed in every episode.  It has a huge audience on Comedy Central
>(the cabel channel).  Like The Simpson's, it's irreverant but humorous.
>Though there are lots of people who enjoy South Park, it doesn't say much for
>the audience's taste in entertainment, and analogously stating pride in using
>a language simply because everybody else is using it *may* say as much about
>its audience.

Hi,

This is off topic but it's Saturday morning and I felt like
responding.

The above is one view point but there are other view points as well.
The other side of the coin is that the creators of South Park are
showing all of us, each week, that there are, or should be, no sacred
cows. That sacred is not but a construct in our minds.

South Park's Eric Cartman is saying there are no "bad words" just bad
intentions.

Kenny shows us that there is no rhyme or reason for why things happen.
They just happen. The good and innocent die as capriciously as do the
Hitlers and Sister Teresas of the world. God is not punishing us, we
punish us, and we are really good at it.

Remember when GAY had another meaning?

Last week, the character "Big Gay Al" was replaced as the scout leader
because of his {*filter*} orientation. They replaced him with a
hetero{*filter*} who photographed the scouts {*filter*}. So much for "all
{*filter*}s are evil". Can't happen in real life? Sure.

The boxing match between Jesus and Satan. Even the minister bet on
Satan. Satan bet on Jesus and then threw the fight. It shows how we
can make bad choices for seemingly practical reasons. Kind of like
when the Germans stood by and let the NAZIs kill 6 million Jews. It
would have been dangerous to say no.?

We stopped the US in Vietnam by saying NO. We had to do it a lot and 4
students at Kent State had to die but we got out. Was that GOOD or
BAD. It was neither but in that case, not everyone bet on Satan.

Look a little deeper than the language next time you come across South
Park on Comedy Central. There is a lot to it. It's kind of like the
21th century version of Catcher in the Rye.

Oh, the characters are not drawn, they are created using cut out
construction paper.

Acme Optics

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:01:20 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages
A fascinating exploration of South Park.  I suppose those observations are
very true, and those meanings could be taken by some of the audience.

--
.tom

Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:47:01 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

:>Visual Basic surely owns that crown.

: Are you related in any way to the adventure character Tim Tyler from
: the 30's movie serials? :-)

AFAIK, we share only a name.
--
__________

Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:50:29 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

> Those not familiar with American cable TV may be unfamiliar with the show,
> South Park.

Don't be daft. It's all over the place.

Quote:
> Like The Simpson's, it's irreverant but humorous.

Hm. It may be humorous, but I don't find it particularly humourous.

Richard

Fri, 26 Dec 2003 20:04:52 GMT
 Comparing Computer Languages

Quote:

>> Those not familiar with American cable TV may be unfamiliar with the show,
>> South Park.

>Don't be daft. It's all over the place.

>> Like The Simpson's, it's irreverant but humorous.

>Hm. It may be humorous, but I don't find it particularly humourous.

>Richard

In the pilot when Ike was in the alien space ship and the guys yelled
at him, "hey Ike, show us what happened to David Caruso's career" and
then Ike jumped fell like a rock into the snow, that wasn't funny?

Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:28:02 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. search for literature, which compare Oberon with other , computer-languages

2. search for literature, which compare Oberon with other computer-languages

3. Comparing different computer languages

4. Comparing symbolic languages with imperative languages

5. inventory of computer languages / inventaires des languages informatiques

6. Golf - The perfect problem to compare languages with?

7. Comparing Languages (Was Smalltalk v

8. Smalltalk compared to other languages

9. seeking scientific studies comparing OO languages

10. seeking scientific studies comparing OO languages

11. Papers comparing OO languages?

12. Comparing Ocaml, Lisp and other functional languages