help with cray ftn namelist
Author Message
 help with cray ftn namelist

I've just started to try and build codes on the cray x1 and I'm having a problem
with the namelist.  My codes on linux use the following namelist format :

 &GLOBAL
    MACH=.5,
    $END
 &FLOINP
    VALUE=5.,
    $END
 &THIRD
    FLO=6,
    $END

Cray does not like this and I see they want the slash to be a terminator instead
of $END.  So I changed the $END to / everywhere and it seemed to
read the first namelist ($GLOBAL), but failed on reading the second namelist
($FLOINP).

so my questions are :

1) Is there any way to make cray accept the $END

2) Do the keywords for the namelist have to be in certain columns??

Any help provided would be appreciated.

Joe

Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:02:51 GMT
 help with cray ftn namelist

Quote:

> Cray does not like this and I see they want the slash to be a terminator instead
> of $END.  So I changed the $END to / everywhere and it seemed to
> read the first namelist ($GLOBAL), but failed on reading the second namelist
> ($FLOINP).

I am not familiar with the Cray implementation, but there are two
generally-accepted ways of specifying NAMELIST input.  The first, very
commonly implemented as an extension to F77, is:

  $groupname
  $end

I note that you're starting with &groupname, which would imply fortran
90 syntax (and thus the slash as the terminator.)  Pick one or the other.

You ask if the data has to be in certain columns.  Maybe. I know that
VAX Fortran required column 2 or later, but many implementations allow
column 1.

Last, I'll comment that unless you do a REWIND, the groups have to be in
the data file in the order you read them.  I don't know if that's part
of your second issue.

Steve

Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:56:02 GMT
 help with cray ftn namelist
Hello,

Quote:

> I've just started to try and build codes on the cray x1 and I'm having a problem
> with the namelist.  My codes on linux use the following namelist format :

>  &GLOBAL
>     MACH=.5,
>     $END
>  &FLOINP
>     VALUE=5.,
>     $END
>  &THIRD
>     FLO=6,
>     $END

> Cray does not like this and I see they want the slash to be a terminator instead
> of $END.  So I changed the $END to / everywhere and it seemed to
> read the first namelist ($GLOBAL), but failed on reading the second namelist
> ($FLOINP).

> so my questions are :

> 1) Is there any way to make cray accept the $END

Probably.  RTFM

Quote:
> 2) Do the keywords for the namelist have to be in certain columns??

No.

Quote:
> Any help provided would be appreciated.

Try removing the , after the keyword=value pair, it isn't needed.
It's most likely harmless, but you've got a bug somewhere!

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:57:27 GMT
 help with cray ftn namelist

Quote:

> I've just started to try and build codes on the cray x1 and I'm having a problem
> with the namelist.  My codes on linux use the following namelist format :
>  &GLOBAL
>     MACH=.5,
>     $END
>  &FLOINP
>     VALUE=5.,
>     $END
>  &THIRD
>     FLO=6,
>     $END

The first NAMELIST implementation I knew, OS/360, used &END for the end,
not $END and not /.

(snip)

Quote:
> 2) Do the keywords for the namelist have to be in certain columns??

OS/360 ignores column 1, so everything had to start past that.

I believe that was related to NAMELIST output having space in column
one for carriage control, though even that doesn't seem to be a
convincing reason to me.

-- glen

Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:18:45 GMT
 help with cray ftn namelist

Quote:

> I've just started to try and build codes on the cray x1 and I'm having a
> problem
> with the namelist.  My codes on linux use the following namelist format :

>  &GLOBAL
>     MACH=.5,
>     $END
>  &FLOINP
>     VALUE=5.,
>     $END
>  &THIRD
>     FLO=6,
>     $END

> Cray does not like this and I see they want the slash to be a terminator
> instead
> of $END.  So I changed the $END to / everywhere and it seemed to
> read the first namelist ($GLOBAL), but failed on reading the second
> namelist ($FLOINP).

> so my questions are :

> 1) Is there any way to make cray accept the $END

Maybe, but why should you want to do it ? Slash is the standard way of terminating
namelist input,

Ian

Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:27:26 GMT

1. Strings in Cray namelists?

2. Help on I/O on Cray T3D and Cray C90

3. Help Salford Ftn

4. Need Help awk namelist programming

5. f77 help: sharing a group of variables in several NAMELIST

6. f77 help on using Namelist

7. Help on Namelist Input !

8. HELP: ENCODE,NAMELIST

9. Help: NAMELIST input on DEC ALPHA produces weird message

10. Help on FORTRAN 90 spec - NAMELISTs

11. Need help with code for Cray

12. public domain SPARC pascal and ftn?