problems running fortran-based MCNP code on Decstation running Ultrix 4.2
Author Message
 problems running fortran-based MCNP code on Decstation running Ultrix 4.2

  Has anyone managed to get MCNP (Monte Carlo for Neutronics and Photonics) to
compile (this is no problem) and run properly (most of the test cases crash
with overflow errors) on a Decstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.2 and Dec's fortran
compiler (either version 3.04 or 3.1) ?
  If so, I would appreciate getting any diffs to the source code (if any) or
the compilation flags you used.
  I noticed some very simple bugs seem to be fixed in f77 3.1 but it still
isn't good enough. I assume f77 3.1 is the latest version.
  DEC changed from MIPS to their own compiler in Ultrix 4.2, causing much grief
around here (I just tell users to use the apollos or IBM RS/6000s until DEC ships
a stable f77 compiler). MCNP used to run just fine under Ultrix 3.1d (with the MIPS
f77 compiler). Thanks a lot.

     Roque Oliveira

     Computer Aided Engineering Network

Mon, 15 Aug 1994 22:19:48 GMT
 problems running fortran-based MCNP code on Decstation running Ultrix 4.2

(Sorry for the late followup, but my original attempt seems to have failed.
 Apologies iof this is a repeat. \bob)

(Roque Donizete de Oliveira) writes:

Quote:
>  Has anyone managed to get MCNP (Monte Carlo for Neutronics and
>Photonics) to
>compile (this is no problem) and run properly (most of the test cases
>crash
>with overflow errors) on a Decstation 5000 running Ultrix 4.2 and Dec's
>Fortran
>compiler (either version 3.04 or 3.1) ?
>  If so, I would appreciate getting any diffs to the source code (if
>any) or
>the compilation flags you used.

Has -fpe 1, 2 or 3 been useless?  DEC Fortran abides by a different set of
defaults for floating point exceptions.  For one thing, at certains settings
it forces underflows to zero and not do IEEE gradual underflow.  If MCNP
exceeds the range of floating point precision, then maybe -r8 will help by
using double precision instead of single precision.

The defaults we chose were, we hope, in line with helping users find numerical
problems with their code.

\bob

Sun, 28 Aug 1994 05:48:55 GMT

1. running Tcl-based g++ apps on a decstation/ultrix

2. Dynamic loading on Decstation running Ultrix (mips 4.4)

3. MUprolog installation on MIPS (DECstation 5000) running Ultrix

4. Dec Fortran 3.04 problems in Ultrix 4.2

5. Compiling LAPACK on DEC with Ultrix 4.2 and Fortran 3.0

6. Allegro 4.1/4.2 on sunos4.1.3 running sun automounter

7. Wanted CL for an IBM running VM/CMS HPO 4.2

8. Is there Modura-2 running on DecStation ?

9. GNAT on Ultrix 4.2 Anyone?

10. DECFortran (Ultrix 4.2) question

11. running a second *.exe while one *.exe is running using Lahey fortran

12. tk 4.2 self tests on Ultrix