VMS Fortran conversion - HELP
Author Message
 VMS Fortran conversion - HELP

My company needs to convert some DEC VMS fortran programs to ANSI
Fortran.  We are looking for a software translator(?) that converts VAX
Fortran V4.0 to ANSI standard Fortran.  The ANSI Fortran should be
compilable using either DOS or UNIX based Fortran compilers.  If a
compiler exists that compiles VAX Fortran V4.0 for execution on a DOS or
UNIX based machine, that would also be acceptable.

The major translation problems involve non-standard format codes such as:

        $, Z, Q and O

and I/O OPEN statements such as:

        ACCESS: 'KEYED'
                'APPEND'

        ORGANIZATION:   SEQUENTIAL
                        RELATIVE
                        INDEXED.

Any suggestions woill be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Wed, 21 May 1997 02:22:32 GMT
 VMS Fortran conversion - HELP

Quote:

>My company needs to convert some DEC VMS Fortran programs to ANSI
>Fortran.  We are looking for a software translator(?) that converts VAX
>Fortran V4.0 to ANSI standard Fortran.  The ANSI Fortran should be
>compilable using either DOS or UNIX based Fortran compilers.  If a
>compiler exists that compiles VAX Fortran V4.0 for execution on a DOS or
>UNIX based machine, that would also be acceptable.

May I suggest DEC Fortran for DEC OSF/1 AXP?  A very nice UNIX system...

Quote:
>and I/O OPEN statements such as:

>    ACCESS: 'KEYED'
>            'APPEND'

>    ORGANIZATION:   SEQUENTIAL
>                    RELATIVE
>                    INDEXED.

Well, DEC Fortran for DEC OSF/1 AXP supports 'RELATIVE', though the only
thing that really buys you is the ability to detect deleted records.
INDEXED, however, is an OpenVMS feature which is not present in MS-DOS nor
UNIX.  There are various vendors offering add-on indexed (ISAM) file
support, but you're unlikely to find them integrated into a Fortran
compiler as it is with DEC Fortran on OpenVMS.

However, other than the use of relative and indexed files, the other
extensions you mention are supported by a variety of non-Digital compilers,
if you must use inferior products (lots of smiley faces here...)  You'll
have to do some research to see which vendors support which extensions.

If your application uses OpenVMS indexed files, you have a harder task
ahead.  You might want to consider switching to a database system such
as Oracle, Sybase, etc.  These are available on Digital and other platforms.

DEC Fortran Development           WWW:  http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation     CompuServe: 75263,3001
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698             "Free advice is worth every cent"

Wed, 21 May 1997 08:48:42 GMT
 VMS Fortran conversion - HELP

Quote:

>>My company needs to convert some DEC VMS Fortran programs to ANSI
>>Fortran.  We are looking for a software translator(?) that converts VAX
>>Fortran V4.0 to ANSI standard Fortran.
>Well, DEC Fortran for DEC OSF/1 AXP supports 'RELATIVE', though the only
>thing that really buys you is the ability to detect deleted records.
>INDEXED, however, is an OpenVMS feature which is not present in MS-DOS nor
>UNIX.  There are various vendors offering add-on indexed (ISAM) file
>support, but you're unlikely to find them integrated into a Fortran
>compiler as it is with DEC Fortran on OpenVMS.
>However, other than the use of relative and indexed files, the other
>extensions you mention are supported by a variety of non-Digital compilers,
>if you must use inferior products (lots of smiley faces here...)  You'll
>have to do some research to see which vendors support which extensions.

Actually, while DEC neglected to provide indexed file support for their
Unix FORTRAN, one of their competitors did...SGI/MIPS.  Their FORTRAN
has provided indexed file support for years.  Overall, DEC FORTRAN provides
the best set of VMS extensions in the industry, but for some reason
certain very doable features like this were left out.  Our company
provides a VMS FORTRAN precompiler (Open ACCLIM8) which will convert
VMS extensions like indexed file usage to something which will work on
the target FORTRAN compiler, for example DEC FORTRAN on OSF/1.  It is
not possible to create a VMS FORTRAN to "ANSI" FORTRAN converter, unless
the target is FORTRAN-90.  FORTRAN-77 simply does not provide the
mechanisms needed to do some of the things VMS FORTRAN does.

Our precompiler is only for Unix systems, DOS is too limited to provide
many of the most useful features of the VMS environment.  For more

see our anonymous FTP site ftp.netcom.com in the /pub/ac/accelr8/prodinfo
directory.
--

Sat, 24 May 1997 00:45:25 GMT

1. Need printer help on VMS to NT conversion

2. C to Fortran conversion (was: fortran to c conversion)

3. Need help linking Ada code to Fortran on VAX/VMS

4. VMS fortran Newbie requires HELP!

5. Help needed on old VMS Fortran 77 Program

6. Help converting VMS Fortran to C

7. Help with old VMS-Fortran

8. NEED HELP IN VAX/VMS FORTRAN SCREEN INTERFACE

9. help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran

10. Help on locating a Lahey/VMS fortran specific book

11. Help Wanted: How to run Fortran on VMS?

12. AIX Fortran and VMS Fortran - Incompatible binary files ???