VMS LIB$ copying file a file in FORTRAN
Author Message
 VMS LIB$ copying file a file in FORTRAN

Dear Readers,

        I have a rather VMS specific fortran question.  Firstly some background.
I use a DCL script to start a FORTRAN program in a batch queue.  This DCL
script passes a date based file name to the FORTRAN program.  When the name is
passed to the FORTRAN, the program create a 'home made' network packet and then
sends a SYS$QIO to another process to close a open file on another DECNET node.

        All this works fine.

        However, I wish to copy the file once closed inside the FORTRAN, not
the DCL script (Curently my FORTRAN just makes yet another DCL script and
execute that prior to continuing the FORTRAN programme.) as the FORTRAN program
handles complicated system problems via jpi, such as space/load problems.
I can use lib$rename to rename the file which works fine.

        However, I wish only to copy the file once closed for a safety whilst I process
the file via the FORTRAN program.  What lib$ or sys$ call should I use to COPY
a file (please note I cannot just open the file and copy as this is a generic routine
and has no know knowledge of the file format RMS, binary or ASCII).  I cannot
use lib$spawn as it is subprocess and no CLI is available to the FORTRAN
program.  I tried this and the status was no Lib CLI.

        Any suggestion is my appreciated.

Thanks

Dugald Peacock

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VMS LIB$ copying file a file in FORTRAN

Quote:
> However, I wish only to copy the file once closed for a safety whilst I
process
>the file via the FORTRAN program.  What lib$ or sys$ call should I use to
COPY
>a file

This is indeed not a Fortran question at all, since the same question could
be asked of any language.  comp.os.vms would have been a more appropriate
place to post this question.

While it's not obvious, CONV$CONVERT will do what you want.  It's documented
in the Utility Routines Reference Manual.

DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Compaq Computer Corporation
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Editing LIB Files to Change Functions Within LIB Files

2. AIX Fortran and VMS Fortran - Incompatible binary files ???

3. lfn.lib and COPY FILE TO

4. copying files in FORTRAN on using Sun Fortran

5. VMS Fortran RTL restriction on file names?

6. Fortran file status, vms, versions

7. DEC VMS Fortran - read tab delimited file

8. Reading Binary PC Files with VMS Fortran

9. Optimising file access speed under Fortran / VMS

10. reading in foreign binary files with VMS fortran

11. Dump Entry Points In .LIB files or .DLL Files

12. copying files using as a different file name