Is Fortran great or am I stupid?
Author Message
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?

Hi,

I've been a fortran type > 20 years and I love it. I can do everything
with it I need. Then I learned C and saw all of the excuses for why
the stuff in Fortran that was not in C  "wasn't really needed".

Then I learned Pearl and found out that it was written by C hackers
who thought C wasn't complicated enough so they wrote Pearl .

It is great to hear a C programer explain why an array index doesn't
ever need to go below 0 or why C doesn't need COMPLEX variables.

I guess it must be a religious thing, the preference for a computer
language.

Oh well,

       IF(i) 10,20,30
 10     GO TO 347
 20     GO TO 45
 30        GO TO (n) 24,25,26,27,28

Yes, with code like that, who needs encryption, particularly if you
pull out all the white spaces and comments and  then left justify
everything?

With enough arithmetic IFs and GOTOs and statement lables I can write
code that reads as well as C.

Like Dilbert's boss said once, "I know what's wrong with your code
Dilbert, the words are all misspelled and there are too many
semicolons."

Night All,

Jim Klein

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:11:14 GMT
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?

Quote:
> Then I learned Pearl and found out that it was written by C hackers
> who thought C wasn't complicated enough so they wrote Pearl .

I seriously doubt you learned "Pearl", you might want to
check the cover of that book again :-)

Different languages have different strengths and weaknesses,
and are thus more or less suitable for a given programming
job or application. I use Fortran where Fortran is best used,
C/C++ where it's best used, the same goes for Perl or
Delphi. There is nothing religious about it, as I'm sure you
would agree too :-) Those who consider a programming language
to be more than a tool are on thin ice, from an engineering
and economical point of view.

But I would never go and do a job in Fortran where Perl is the
better tool, where I alone judge what "better" is in a
particular case, of course. If I couldn't judge this safely
enough, this would mean my employer would pay the wrong guy :-)
To let oneself be lured into a religious debate, where one
tries to prove that a certain job can *also* be done in another
language, might often lead to wasted time and money, yours
or your employer's.

Just my 2 cent :-) This is not only in direct response to your
post, but my thoughts in general.

Stephan

--
Stephan Petersen

Quote:
>-=-=-=- Visit GTT's Technical Thermochemistry Web Page at =-=-=-=-<
>-=-=-=-      http://gttserv.lth.rwth-aachen.de/gtt/       =-=-=-=-<

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:56:11 GMT
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?

Quote:

> > Then I learned Pearl and found out that it was written by C hackers
> > who thought C wasn't complicated enough so they wrote Pearl .

> I seriously doubt you learned "Pearl", you might want to
> check the cover of that book again :-)

> Different languages have different strengths and weaknesses,
> and are thus more or less suitable for a given programming
> job or application. I use Fortran where Fortran is best used,
> C/C++ where it's best used, the same goes for Perl or
> Delphi. There is nothing religious about it, as I'm sure you
> would agree too :-)

Sorta like when you're in France it would be better to speak French, Spain - Spanish,
Hungary - Hungarian, etc.. (the latter being the C equivalent to us slightly bilingual
types... :o)

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst           A little learning is a dangerous thing;

Ph: (301)763-8000 x7274  There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
Fax:(301)763-8545        And drinking largely sobers us again.

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:39:54 GMT
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?

Quote:
> Hi,
> It is great to hear a C programer explain why an array index doesn't
> ever need to go below 0 or why C doesn't need COMPLEX variables.

They have one less thing to explain now.  A complex data type was added to
the ANSI C standard in 1999.

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:29:47 GMT
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?
Hi,
Well there are plenty of other things to explain such as the horrible,
cryptic syntax.
Quote:

> > Hi,

> > It is great to hear a C programer explain why an array index doesn't
> > ever need to go below 0 or why C doesn't need COMPLEX variables.

> They have one less thing to explain now.  A complex data type was added to
> the ANSI C standard in 1999.

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:06:31 GMT
 Is Fortran great or am I stupid?
Actually 'Pearl' started as 'Pearl' then the name changed to 'Perl'.

my 2 cents.

Quote:

> > > Then I learned Pearl and found out that it was written by C hackers
> > > who thought C wasn't complicated enough so they wrote Pearl .

> > I seriously doubt you learned "Pearl", you might want to
> > check the cover of that book again :-)

> > Different languages have different strengths and weaknesses,
> > and are thus more or less suitable for a given programming
> > job or application. I use Fortran where Fortran is best used,
> > C/C++ where it's best used, the same goes for Perl or
> > Delphi. There is nothing religious about it, as I'm sure you
> > would agree too :-)

> Sorta like when you're in France it would be better to speak French,
Spain - Spanish,
> Hungary - Hungarian, etc.. (the latter being the C equivalent to us
slightly bilingual
> types... :o)

> cheers,

> paulv

> --
> Paul van Delst           A little learning is a dangerous thing;

> Ph: (301)763-8000 x7274  There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
> Fax:(301)763-8545        And drinking largely sobers us again.

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:28:24 GMT

1. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

2. Stupid newb question: What am I doing wrong?

3. I am a stupid newbie.

4. REPOST: I am a stupid forger

5. Stupid question I am afraid, but I could use a pointer or two

6. STUPID QUESTION I AM AFRA

7. I am clinically stupid. (fastcgi.rb bug)

8. Just starting -- am I stupid? (new and initialize)

9. Maybe I am just stupid... :(

10. REPOST: I am a stupid forger

11. string random generator (Sorry if too stupid, but i am a beginner)

12. am I stupid