Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
Author Message
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5

Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
compilation. Please help. Thank you

Regards,
Alvin

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:50:58 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5

Quote:

> Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
> compilation. Please help. Thank you

> Regards,
> Alvin

All the time.  Recommend updating to 6.6A.  I submitted a problem report
(quite a long time ago) but they could not reproduce the problem with my
collected report info and I was not able to narrow it down (I eventually
suggested that they stop trying until I investigate my system, but I was
never able to identify anything peculiar).  With 6.5, only happens on my
home machine (AMD K2, Win98).  Never had a single problem at work with
6.5.  At home I just keep repeating the compile operation until it
eventually succeeds without me changing anything in the source code
(I've also performed a full reinstall with no impact).  Sometimes,
saving the project info seems to correct the situation, but it isn't
consistent so I'm not certain of it.  I've just been too busy to order
the 6.6 upgrade CD (download is way too big).  I'll probably do that
later this week, now that I'm reminded of it.

--

Gary Scott

http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:  http://g95.sourceforge.net

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:14:13 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
This seems to be a sort of catch-all for various errors  which are not
flagged by context-specific messages of their own.  The compiler does
correctly detect a problem, but this message is not helpful.  Examples
from my experience include use of unsupported syntax such as
list-directed DECODEs, as well as instances of circularities in
inter-module calls.  Do upgrade to the latest compiler version, however,
since there have been many improvements between 6.5 and 6.6A.

 Process Control Systems for the Ceramics Industry
   KIL-TEL Systems Inc.         Paul M. Curtis, PhD
   9013 NE 37th Place           tel 425-451-7689
   Bellevue, WA 98004           fax 425-450-1722

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:39:20 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
alvin,

i had the same error when I tried to give a variable of  type real*8 a value
complex*16 for instance. look for errors like this, especially when calling
routines, and check the declaration of the variables you transmit to the
routine.
cheers,
bogdan

Quote:
> Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
> compilation. Please help. Thank you

> Regards,
> Alvin

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:42:50 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
Yup.  But in my case, I still get the error if I compile a one line
program like the one below:

program test

  integer :: temp
  temp = 1
  stop

end program

So I'm pretty sure it's "project configuration" related.

Quote:

> alvin,

> i had the same error when I tried to give a variable of  type real*8 a value
> complex*16 for instance. look for errors like this, especially when calling
> routines, and check the declaration of the variables you transmit to the
> routine.
> cheers,
> bogdan

> > Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
> > compilation. Please help. Thank you

> > Regards,
> > Alvin

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:42:17 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
No one elso has mentioned it, but any time you get a message that says
anything like "internal compiler error" it is a flaw in the compiler.

You should report it to Compaq as soon as possible.  They'll want a
copy of the program that causes the problem.  If you are using
developer studio they'll probably need a zip of your project.

This isn't your fault and there's not much you can do about it.

You can try turning off compiler options, especially optimization
(and maybe debugging) to see if it goes away.  But, whatever you
do, send it on to Compaq.  They're the only ones who can fix it.

Dick Hendrickson

Quote:

> Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
> compilation. Please help. Thank you

> Regards,
> Alvin

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:26:40 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5

Quote:
>Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
>compilation. Please help. Thank you

Alvin,

to write back to you with a response, but Hotmail said that your
mailbox was full.  Perhaps you can write back to us from a different
e-mail address?

As others have said, anytime you get an error message of the form
"internal compiler error" or similar, you should immediately contact
the compiler vendor, as this is always a compiler bug.  It means that
the compiler got confused internally - sometimes it's due to a user
error, and sometimes due to an unusual combination of valid code.
Your case is the latter.

CVF is having trouble with the following combination of things: 1) A
MODULE contains a blank (unnamed) COMMON block, 2)  The first MODULE
is USEd in another MODULE.  This is valid and the compiler should
accept it - we'll fix this for a future update.

The easy workaround is to give that unnamed COMMON a name.  You get
unnamed COMMON when you do something like this:

  COMMON A,B

If you change this to:

  COMMON /SOMENAME/ A,B

then it becomes a named COMMON and CVF will be much happier.  I will
comment that putting COMMONs in MODULEs is rather unusual - typically
you would just declare the variables directly in the MODULE - but it
is legal and the compiler should have accepted it in this case.

Note that if you change the name of the COMMON block (or give it a
name), you must make sure that all other places that declare this
COMMON block have the same change.  If the only place the COMMON
statement occurs is in this MODULE, then nothing more needs to be
done.

Again, if in the future you have problems with Visual Fortran (6.5 or

also have a user message board at http://www.compaq.com/fortran/forum

Steve Lionel
Compaq Fortran Engineering
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Intel Fortran - http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:45:30 GMT
 Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5
Hi, Steve! Thank you very much for your help and I really hope it
works. It seems like CVF and perhaps other compilers too have lots of
bugs that awaiting users to discover. By the way, I've cleaned up my

so sorry for any inconvenience caused. looking forward to your
response.

Regards,
Alvin

Quote:

> >Anyone see this error before? It's a fatal error in CVF that halt the
> >compilation. Please help. Thank you

> Alvin,

> to write back to you with a response, but Hotmail said that your
> mailbox was full.  Perhaps you can write back to us from a different
> e-mail address?

> As others have said, anytime you get an error message of the form
> "internal compiler error" or similar, you should immediately contact
> the compiler vendor, as this is always a compiler bug.  It means that
> the compiler got confused internally - sometimes it's due to a user
> error, and sometimes due to an unusual combination of valid code.
> Your case is the latter.

> CVF is having trouble with the following combination of things: 1) A
> MODULE contains a blank (unnamed) COMMON block, 2)  The first MODULE
> is USEd in another MODULE.  This is valid and the compiler should
> accept it - we'll fix this for a future update.

> The easy workaround is to give that unnamed COMMON a name.  You get
> unnamed COMMON when you do something like this:

>   COMMON A,B

> If you change this to:

>   COMMON /SOMENAME/ A,B

> then it becomes a named COMMON and CVF will be much happier.  I will
> comment that putting COMMONs in MODULEs is rather unusual - typically
> you would just declare the variables directly in the MODULE - but it
> is legal and the compiler should have accepted it in this case.

> Note that if you change the name of the COMMON block (or give it a
> name), you must make sure that all other places that declare this
> COMMON block have the same change.  If the only place the COMMON
> statement occurs is in this MODULE, then nothing more needs to be
> done.

> Again, if in the future you have problems with Visual Fortran (6.5 or

> also have a user message board at http://www.compaq.com/fortran/forum

> Steve Lionel
> Compaq Fortran Engineering
> Intel Corporation
> Nashua, NH

> Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
> Intel Fortran - http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:44:24 GMT

1. CVF Upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6 and DWINTY.F90

2. CVF 6.5, specific question about minimization subroutine dbconf

3. Fortran CVF 6.5 bug?

4. CVF 6.5: Profiling trouble

5. Test_Fpu 2ghz pentium/CVF 6.5

6. How to use Array Visualizer in CVF 6.5

7. Question about CVF 6.5 and Developer Studio -New directories

8. Two questions re: CVF 6.5

9. CVF 6.5 problem

10. Visual Basic cannot find Fortran DLL CVF 6.5

11. mixed language problem - CVF 6.5 - MS Visual C++ 6 (DEC$ ATTRIBUTES C, EXTERN)