Newbie
Author Message
 Newbie

Just found this group.  Wondering if there is a faq, list of books,
journals, etc so I don't bother you guys with too many questions.

Thanks
Ben

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:08:28 GMT
 Newbie

Quote:
> Just found this group.  Wondering if there is a faq, list of books,
> journals, etc so I don't bother you guys with too many questions.

No faq, but lots of information at www.fortran.com, in particular at
www.fortran.com/metcalf.htm.

Hope that helps,

Mike Metcalf

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:10:03 GMT
 Newbie

Quote:

> Just found this group.  Wondering if there is a faq, list of books,
> journals, etc so I don't bother you guys with too many questions.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bugbv9%247cp%2404%241%40news.t-o...

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:03:39 GMT
 Newbie

Quote:
> Just found this group.  Wondering if there is a faq, list of books,
> journals, etc so I don't bother you guys with too many questions.

> Thanks
> Ben

To see some syntax in action...

http://home.cfl.rr.com/davegemini/pli_cant.faq

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:05:06 GMT
 Newbie

Quote:

>> Just found this group....
> To see some syntax in action...

  [url elided]

And if you are new to the group, be aware that Dave is....um...
searching for politically correct term....exceptional.

Don't be turned off by his rabid fanaticism (and his obsession with
denigrating pl1, which is what the cited url is presumably about).
And be aware that he often gives suggestions that work only with
his favorite compiler (but neglects to mention this).

The rest of us aren't like that.  And many of us try to just ignore
Dave as much as we can.  Just because we ignore him, doesn't mean that
we agree with him (though he likes to interpret failure to respond
to his taunts as agreement or submission).  Just like I'll ignore
Dave's likely response to this.  I thought you deserved the one
warning before wandering into Dave's pl1 obsession, but that's
all I'll say about it.

I see you got a few pointers to online sources.  Also, there are
some good books worth reading.  One of many people's favorites is
"Fortran 95 Explained" by Metcalf and Reid.

Feel free to ask questions.

email: my first.last at org.domain  |  experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov              |        -- Mark Twain

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:08:54 GMT
 Newbie
Thanks for the links.  They have been helpful.

Ben Backlund

Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:45:24 GMT

1. Newbie Newbie, we are all Newbie to something

2. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

3. Does a variable exist? NEWBIE NEWBIE NEW

4. Newbie wants newbie friend

5. newbie BRAND newbie!

7. Newbie Pythom + Newbie Com = Way confussed

8. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

9. Newbie "Why does my program..." Was: Re: Newbie 370 Questions

10. Newbie - as in "really" Newbie!

11. Help a newbie search the archives

12. A few more newbie questions..