Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted 
Author Message
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted

Hello,

I'm using Developer Studio for my fortran source. I have an application
which is a Win32 console application. As a result, a Dos screen appear while
running the program. In my source I use write and read statemens to write to
this screen and read from it.

I want to create a Win32 application which should result in getting rid of
the Dos screen. However, what should I do with the write and read
statements? I think I have to create a kind of dialog / form in which I have
to put some text fields to read from and a box in which I can write. I have
tried to add a dialog but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Reynold



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted
IMHO, if it aint broke, don't change it.
If  your application functions perfectly satisfactorily with a single text
input/output window
then why go to all the trouble to change it?
However, a QuickWIn version which opens a child window for input/output
(or, if you want, seperate child windows for input and output) can easliy be
implemented by
using the statement OPEN(unit=nn,FILE="USER",TITLE='whatever you want')
and the window will be forever identified by the unit number nn, until you
CLOSE it, so that you can
set focus on it using SETFOCUSQQ(nn) whenever you want input.

Dialogs are fine if you just want to push buttons, tick boxes, select from
lists, enter text.
If you want to enter numerical data, you have to remember that dialogs
operate with CHARACTER
strings (at least, my version of CVF does), so that it is quite possible
accidentally to input invalid numerical data.
In order to avoid or recover from such errors, you will still have to get at
the numerical data using internal formatted
reads (from character variables) and output numerical data (using internal
WRITEs to character variables)
in order to trap typos etc using the  ERR=statementnumber facility in READ
and WRITE.

HTH.


Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm using Developer Studio for my Fortran source. I have an application
> which is a Win32 console application. As a result, a Dos screen appear
while
> running the program. In my source I use write and read statemens to write
to
> this screen and read from it.

> I want to create a Win32 application which should result in getting rid of
> the Dos screen. However, what should I do with the write and read
> statements? I think I have to create a kind of dialog / form in which I
have
> to put some text fields to read from and a box in which I can write. I
have
> tried to add a dialog but it doesn't seem to work.

> Can anyone help me?

> Thanks,

> Reynold




Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted
Just to answer your question why I would change it: after let's say 20 write
statements you can's see what was written in the first statements. It should
be possible to check all the write statements at the end of the application
run. I thought this should only be possible using a windows based screen.
Does anyone have a better idea?



Quote:
> IMHO, if it aint broke, don't change it.
> If  your application functions perfectly satisfactorily with a single text
> input/output window
> then why go to all the trouble to change it?



> > Hello,

> > I'm using Developer Studio for my Fortran source. I have an application
> > which is a Win32 console application. As a result, a Dos screen appear
> while
> > running the program. In my source I use write and read statemens to
write
> to
> > this screen and read from it.

> > I want to create a Win32 application which should result in getting rid
of
> > the Dos screen. However, what should I do with the write and read
> > statements? I think I have to create a kind of dialog / form in which I
> have
> > to put some text fields to read from and a box in which I can write. I
> have
> > tried to add a dialog but it doesn't seem to work.

> > Can anyone help me?

> > Thanks,

> > Reynold




Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted


Quote:
>Just to answer your question why I would change it: after let's say 20 write
>statements you can's see what was written in the first statements. It should
>be possible to check all the write statements at the end of the application
>run. I thought this should only be possible using a windows based screen.

You can use a QuickWin project for this and not change a line of
source.



Fortran Engineering
Compaq Computer Corporation, Nashua NH

Compaq Fortran web site: http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Compaq Fortran Message Board:
   http://forum.compaq.com:80/mb8/system/fortran_login.html



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted

Quote:

>Just to answer your question why I would change it: after let's say 20
write
>statements you can's see what was written in the first statements.

mode con: lines=50
Or just save the output to a file via Fortran statements or redirection.


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted
Reynold,

Well if you don't want to try the approach of making a QuickWin
program and modifing it  I think you will have to create a new project
as a "Fortran Windows Application".

There are a number of examples that come with DVF.  I found it to be
quite a lot of work to convert an old style fortran program to one
that works well (looks good) in windows.  

For me the first big difference is that the original main program is
now a subroutine of the windows interface code that DVF creates for
you.

Also you have to change your thinking a bit.  Unlike console programs
that run more or less one line after the next the windows code is, of
course, event driven.   So, for instance, instead of the program
asking you for one input at a time you get a screen of input boxes
which you fill out than hit a button called "Process", "Anyalize", or
"Run".

Good luck on your project.

Brian



Quote:
>Just to answer your question why I would change it: after let's say 20 write
>statements you can's see what was written in the first statements. It should
>be possible to check all the write statements at the end of the application
>run. I thought this should only be possible using a windows based screen.
>Does anyone have a better idea?



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted
All,

Thanks for the advise. I have tried it and it works fine in a QuickWin
application.

However, one more question:
I use SETWSIZEQQ to resize a child to max size. I do this directly after a
OPEN statement. Running the application, I see first a small child screen
which directly will resize to max.

Is it possible to show the child screen on max by default, such that I don't
see it resize during the application run?

Thanx,

Reynold



Quote:


> >Just to answer your question why I would change it: after let's say 20
write
> >statements you can's see what was written in the first statements. It
should
> >be possible to check all the write statements at the end of the
application
> >run. I thought this should only be possible using a windows based screen.

> You can use a QuickWin project for this and not change a line of
> source.



> Fortran Engineering
> Compaq Computer Corporation, Nashua NH

> Compaq Fortran web site: http://www.compaq.com/fortran
> Compaq Fortran Message Board:
>    http://forum.compaq.com:80/mb8/system/fortran_login.html



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Win32 Console app -> Win32 app: help wanted


Quote:
>I use SETWSIZEQQ to resize a child to max size. I do this directly after a
>OPEN statement. Running the application, I see first a small child screen
>which directly will resize to max.

>Is it possible to show the child screen on max by default, such that I don't
>see it resize during the application run?

You can call SETWSIZEQQ from an INITIALSETTINGS routine.  Just be
aware that it will return -1, suggesting failure, but that's only
because it can't be sure that the requested size can be accomodated.
(This may change in a future release.)  So just ignore the return
value.



Fortran Engineering
Compaq Computer Corporation, Nashua NH

Compaq Fortran web site: http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Compaq Fortran Message Board:
   http://forum.compaq.com:80/mb8/system/fortran_login.html



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. How set window title in Win32 console app Need help

2. VESA in Win32 console app ?

3. Mouse in Win32 Console App

4. 6.12 is Win32 console app

5. Connecting win32 console apps in subprocesses to stdin/stdout

6. Help w/ first win32 app

7. App-Ref: Need to break up a large App, App-Ref can help

8. DVF - hot to switch from a console app to a dll app

9. Q Porting HP Console-Based FORTRAN Program to Win32 Console

10. Weird problem running two RB apps simultaneously in Win32

11. Win32 App & Carbon Events

12. Visual Smalltalk OS2/WIN32 app deployment

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software