Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
Author Message
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Hi folks,

I've been asked to provide a C++ GUI to an existing text based fortran
program. I'm familiar with both languages, although I have never had
an occasion to mix them before.

I've seen postings in this group that indicate mixing Compaq Visual
FORTRAN 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ works well. I have a few specific
questions, though.

1. I have Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, and need to get a copy of C++ for
the company I'm working for. Will Microsoft? Visual C++? .NET 2003
Standard Edition work well with Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, or do I
need to drop back to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or get the Professional
version of C++ .NET?

2. Will I be able to mix the languages, with appropriate headers, and
compile/link/run with a single step, even if changes have been made
both to FORTAN and C source, or will I need to build a FORTRAN library
and link it into the C++ program?

3. If I can mix the languages and compile in one step, can I also
debug, stepping from C++ into a FORTRAN subroutine?

4. Is there any particular reason to push for the Professional version
of C++ rather than the Standard edition?

Thanks,

Mike Westerfield

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 06:33:12 GMT
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Quote:
> Hi folks,

> I've been asked to provide a C++ GUI to an existing text based FORTRAN
> program. I'm familiar with both languages, although I have never had
> an occasion to mix them before.

> I've seen postings in this group that indicate mixing Compaq Visual
> FORTRAN 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ works well. I have a few specific
> questions, though.

> 1. I have Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, and need to get a copy of C++ for
> the company I'm working for. Will Microsoft? Visual C++? .NET 2003
> Standard Edition work well with Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, or do I
> need to drop back to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or get the Professional
> version of C++ .NET?

> 2. Will I be able to mix the languages, with appropriate headers, and
> compile/link/run with a single step, even if changes have been made
> both to FORTAN and C source, or will I need to build a FORTRAN library
> and link it into the C++ program?

> 3. If I can mix the languages and compile in one step, can I also
> debug, stepping from C++ into a FORTRAN subroutine?

> 4. Is there any particular reason to push for the Professional version
> of C++ rather than the Standard edition?

> Thanks,

> Mike Westerfield

Pls add <pun>  following question.

Can CVF6.6c access C++ net functions like "system.decimal"
allowing Fortran a floating decimal capability via  a
 z = dadd(x,y)   style interface?

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:15:42 GMT
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
| Hi folks,
|
| I've been asked to provide a C++ GUI to an existing text based FORTRAN
| program. I'm familiar with both languages, although I have never had
| an occasion to mix them before.
|
| I've seen postings in this group that indicate mixing Compaq Visual
| FORTRAN 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ works well. I have a few specific
| questions, though.

OK, please refer to http://softwareforums.intel.com/ids/board?board.id=5 --
that's the Intel/CVF support Forum, and you'll find that such questions
are very commonly asked. (It requires free registration). Brief answers below:

| 1. I have Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, and need to get a copy of C++ for
| the company I'm working for. Will Microsoft? Visual C++? .NET 2003
| Standard Edition work well with Compaq Visual FORTRAN 6.1, or do I
| need to drop back to Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or get the Professional
| version of C++ .NET?

CVF 6 and VC++.NET (either edition) won't integrate with each other
(in IDE sense). They don't interact badly, though, so you can have
them both on the same computer without problems.

| 2. Will I be able to mix the languages, with appropriate headers, and
| compile/link/run with a single step, even if changes have been made
| both to FORTAN and C source, or will I need to build a FORTRAN library
| and link it into the C++ program?

With 6/NET combination, what you probably can do is to build Fortran
code as a .lib, and what you certainly can do is to build it as
a .dll and insert it into VC++.NET project.

Personally, I'd recommend getting hold of a used copy of VC++ 6.0,
as the integration with is seamless and development comfort is
really great. Note that even with IVF8 (which integrates with
VC++.NET) you *cannot* build a mixed-language project (.f90 and
.cpp files compiled & linked together) -- Microsoft raised a
"Chinese Wall" between languages. Sigh...

| 3. If I can mix the languages and compile in one step, can I also
| debug, stepping from C++ into a FORTRAN subroutine?

With VC++ 6, yes. With VC.Net, afaik, no. With VC.NET+IVF8.0, yes.

| 4. Is there any particular reason to push for the Professional version
| of C++ rather than the Standard edition?

Not really, if you want to keep all your number-crunching in Fortran.
VC++ Standard does not contain optimizing compiler, but if it's a GUI,
it usually doesn't matter how long the program waits for you to press
a key. You probably won't need advanced stuff from VC++ Pro though
(database support, ActiveX stuff etc.).

--
 Jugoslav
___________

Please reply to the newsgroup.
You can find my real e-mail on my home page above.

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:57:14 GMT
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Quote:

>Note that even with IVF8 (which integrates with
>VC++.NET) you *cannot* build a mixed-language project (.f90 and
>.cpp files compiled & linked together) -- Microsoft raised a
>"Chinese Wall" between languages. Sigh...

Jugoslav, I'm rather astonished you wrote this.  It isn't true.  You can
certainly build a mixed-language application with Intel Visual Fortran and
VC++.NET.  The term "project" has a different meaning in the VC++.NET
environment, which can lead to some confusion.

I will agree that it is not quite as easy to do this as it was with CVF/VC6
(where you would add Fortran and C code to the same project), but it is not
even difficult.  In the VC++.NET world, a "solution" is a buildable thing that
can contain one or more "projects".  In this case, you have a solution with
two projects, one has the Fortran code, one has the C code.  You build the
solution and all gets compiled and then linked together.  Mixed-language
debugging works fine.

Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

  http://softwareforums.intel.com/
Intel Fortran Support
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:08:19 GMT
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

|| Note that even with IVF8 (which integrates with
|| VC++.NET) you *cannot* build a mixed-language project (.f90 and
|| .cpp files compiled & linked together) -- Microsoft raised a
|| "Chinese Wall" between languages. Sigh...
|
| Jugoslav, I'm rather astonished you wrote this.  It isn't true.  You can
| certainly build a mixed-language application with Intel Visual Fortran and
| VC++.NET.  The term "project" has a different meaning in the VC++.NET
| environment, which can lead to some confusion.

Perhaps I wasn't very precise -- the term "project" as I see it retained the
meaning in both releases (one set of source files with mutual dependencies
compiled
together), while "workspace" from V6 was replaced with "solution" in NET.

Perhaps I'm just too used to looking at it "the (good) old way" -- it
certainly can be regarded as "a solution is a set of subsets (projects),
each one being written in a different language". I'm just not used to it.

AFAIK it is true that you cannot mix .f90 and .cpp files within e.g. one
.lib/.exe project in .NET -- what you can do is to build e.g. f90 files under
one
.lib and link the .lib into the .lib/.exe of cpp's. And I didn't say that you
can't debug them together. You're certainly right that it presents just
a minor inconvenience.

--
 Jugoslav
___________
www.geocities.com/jdujic

Please reply to the newsgroup.
You can find my real e-mail on my home page above.

Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:27:56 GMT
 Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Quote:

> | 4. Is there any particular reason to push for the Professional version
> | of C++ rather than the Standard edition?

> Not really, if you want to keep all your number-crunching in Fortran.
> VC++ Standard does not contain optimizing compiler, but if it's a GUI,
> it usually doesn't matter how long the program waits for you to press
> a key. You probably won't need advanced stuff from VC++ Pro though
> (database support, ActiveX stuff etc.).

Just a note microsoft has released their commandline optimising
c++ compiler for vc.net as a free download.
Microsoft Visual C++ Tool kit 2003   vctoolkitsetup.exe

same c++ compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
Professional.
Can do win32 or dot net clr programs

No need to buy VC.net pro unless you want the ide
and or support ,also doesn't come with documentation.
Or unless you want ATL, MFC and the de{*filter*}.

Works well, just use your favourite editor
and download a copy of the insight de{*filter*} ( sources.redhat.com )
and view the docs here
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Don't have a link handy for downloading as offline when writing this.

If you want the additional dev tools download the
platform sdk.

Or if you want to use dot net and CSharp or vb.net get
the dot net framework sdk.

To me csharp seems closer to vb6 than vb.net does.
Very similar to java. Also works well with mixed language fortran
projects.

Alex

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:59:08 GMT

1. Question on using Compaq Visual FORTRAN with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

2. Creating - Fortran 77 dll for use in Visual Basic 6.0 (not using Compaq Visual Fortran)

3. Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran

4. FORTRAN and C/C++ in Microsoft Visual C++ 1.51 and MS PowerStation

5. C++ Calling Compaq Visual FORTRAN

6. cfortran.h with Compaq Fortran/Visual C++

7. Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran Technology Preview for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

8. mixing C and fortran in MS Visual C++ - Developer Studio 4.0

9. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

10. using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express

11. Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?

12. Compaq visual fortran and Watcom fortran