Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
Author Message
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

I just finished _The fortran 2003 Handbook_ and would like to pat myself on
the back for my persistence.  I first encountered earlier versions of this
text in libraries where I would comb through their fortran holdings.

There are changes in authorship in the newest version.  Jeanne Adams has
passed, and{*filter*} Hendrickson and Richard Maine are now listed.  Dick
Hendrickson and I seem to get along, but Richard and I largely don't.  At
varying times, I thought I could "hear" their writing,{*filter*} in the IEEE
stuff and Richard in (see the somewhat lengthy lists below) p. 599.

I encountered a similar sitaution in clc, where I got into a tiff with Jack
Klein.  On retrospect, I don't think either of us would recall the
circumstances, but it was a good thing for us to avoid each other for a
while.  Every author was listed in Unleashed, so Ben was the tree guy,
Lawrence Kirby was a troubleshooter, and Jack was the signal processing
guy.  In order to avoid Jack, I avoided his chapter.

I've always assumed that chapter 15 was richard's.  What else is?

I'll maintain this identity for as long as it takes to represent frank, the
senate's newest and boldest voice.  As far as newsreaders go, if you

feel the need to write under a different name.  After Al's seated, i was
thinking of posting as Frank Zappa.

How would you like to be Chris Dodd tonight?
--
Frank

I said that Sean Hannity took residence up Newt Gingrich's {*filter*}from 94 to
98. I got that from British intelligence. It turns out he only took up
residence in 95.
~~ Al Franken

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 12:45:51 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
Frank, what's you FORTRAN problem?

A.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:20:48 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:

http://www.emergingp.com/Fortrans.htm
http://www.shipwithfortrans.com/
http://www.world-wire.com/news/0213060001.html

#1 is my personal favorite.

--
Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:36:52 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:
> #1 is my personal favorite.

Well that's what I call a definitive "up yours!"!
Discussion closed?

A.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:10:36 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
Quote:

> I just finished _The Fortran 2003 Handbook_ and would like to pat myself on
> the back for my persistence.  I first encountered earlier versions of this
> text in libraries where I would comb through their fortran holdings.

> There are changes in authorship in the newest version.  Jeanne Adams has
> passed, and{*filter*} Hendrickson and Richard Maine are now listed.  Dick
> Hendrickson and I seem to get along, but Richard and I largely don't.  At
> varying times, I thought I could "hear" their writing,{*filter*} in the IEEE
> stuff and Richard in (see the somewhat lengthy lists below) p. 599.

> I encountered a similar sitaution in clc, where I got into a tiff with Jack
> Klein.  On retrospect, I don't think either of us would recall the
> circumstances, but it was a good thing for us to avoid each other for a
> while.  Every author was listed in Unleashed, so Ben was the tree guy,
> Lawrence Kirby was a troubleshooter, and Jack was the signal processing
> guy.  In order to avoid Jack, I avoided his chapter.

> I've always assumed that chapter 15 was richard's.  What else is?

> I'll maintain this identity for as long as it takes to represent frank, the
> senate's newest and boldest voice.  As far as newsreaders go, if you

> feel the need to write under a different name.  After Al's seated, i was
> thinking of posting as Frank Zappa.

> How would you like to be Chris Dodd tonight?

I don't think this silliness is necessary.

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Support the Original G95 Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:32:51 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

[snip silly stuff]

Quote:
> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I can combine the
individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron Ford, Howard Jeagermeister, Richard

these monikers all refer to the same person.

If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the same. Start out with
apparently reasonable requests that eventually descend into name calling. I have noticed
the length of time between reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the
various incarnations.

But, I think I'm getting good at identifying the perpetrators new persona after just one post.

woohoo <sigh>

Usually I wouldn't even bother to reply but given the post's subject line and the fact
that Richard Maine's advice on clf over the years has directly contributed to the
improvement of not just the quality of code I write but also the process of thinking about
  it before writing it, I can't not reply. Not that the record needs it - a cursory search
of the newsgroup archive should be revealing enough. But, for me it's become an "if not
now, when?" situation.

cheers,

paulv

p.s. Typical disclaimer: this is my personal, not employer's, opinion.

Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:28:13 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:
> given the post's subject line and the fact
> that Richard Maine's advice on clf over the years has directly contributed to the
> improvement of not just the quality of code I write but also the process of thinking about
> it before writing it, I can't not reply.

Same holds for me. I was just not accepting this 'contribution'.
Sorry if I went silly.

A.

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 03:17:02 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:

> [snip silly stuff]

>> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

> No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I
> can combine the individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron

> Ford, Lane Straatman, etc. etc. because I assume these monikers all
> refer to the same person.

Of late, the person making this posts admitted to it, and I think even
offered a reason for it.

Quote:
> If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the
> same. Start out with apparently reasonable requests that eventually
> descend into name calling. I have noticed the length of time between
> reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the various
> incarnations.

I must have missed the name-calling in the past.  Usually, it starts out
with a reasonable-looking request and devolves into minutia that have
questionable relevance and also lead one to wonder if the original
response was read or understood.  In fact, that's what led to my
killfiling originally, I came to the conclusion that there was little
point to responding when there was no sign that the original poster
understood the replies.

The recent unloading on a couple of people appears to me to be out of
character.

Quote:
> But, I think I'm getting good at identifying the perpetrators new
> persona after just one post.

I'm surprised it's taken you this long to get good at it.  I thought the
pattern was more or less obvious a year or two ago.

Wed, 07 Sep 2011 06:50:07 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Paul van Delst Did Inscribe:

Quote:

> [snip silly stuff]

>> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

> No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I can combine the
> individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron Ford, Howard Jeagermeister, Richard

> these monikers all refer to the same person.

You misspelled some.  Paul's one of the cool kids who works for the
guvmint.  I've never had an interaction with him, and he spends all this
effort to maintain a killfile.

I use a killfile to avoid interaction:
!delete From {Stevens|Delst}

I try to make it perfectly clear when I switch 'nyms, and he thinks he's
Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:

> If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the same. Start out with
> apparently reasonable requests that eventually descend into name calling. I have noticed
> the length of time between reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the
> various incarnations.

> But, I think I'm getting good at identifying the perpetrators new persona after just one post.

> woohoo <sigh>

Perpetrators?  Is he high?

Quote:

> Usually I wouldn't even bother to reply but given the post's subject line and the fact
> that Richard Maine's advice on clf over the years has directly contributed to the
> improvement of not just the quality of code I write but also the process of thinking about

It's not that Richard isn't a walking encyclopedia on how to program well
in fortran.  It's got more to do with him being the Keith Thompson of clf.

Quote:
>   it before writing it, I can't not reply. Not that the record needs it - a cursory search
> of the newsgroup archive should be revealing enough. But, for me it's become an "if not
> now, when?" situation.

You'd find a body of good, original code that you couldn't see because of
your supposed killfile.  I've been trying to find some of the stuff that
I've posted under other 'nyms, like the quicksort I did in fortran.

Not that I could ask for help, because no one wants to be on the outside of
the in group.
--
Frank

I do personal attacks only on people who specialize in personal attacks..
~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 05:49:53 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:
> In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Paul van Delst Did Inscribe:

> > [snip silly stuff]

> >> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

> > No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I can combine the
> > individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron Ford, Howard Jeagermeister, Richard

> > these monikers all refer to the same person.

> You misspelled some. ?Paul's one of the cool kids who works for the
> guvmint. ?I've never had an interaction with him, and he spends all this
> effort to maintain a killfile.

> I use a killfile to avoid interaction:
> !delete From {Stevens|Delst}

> I try to make it perfectly clear when I switch 'nyms, and he thinks he's
> Sherlock Holmes.

> > If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the same. Start out with
> > apparently reasonable requests that eventually descend into name calling. I have noticed
> > the length of time between reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the
> > various incarnations.

> > But, I think I'm getting good at identifying the perpetrators new persona after just one post.

> > woohoo <sigh>

> Perpetrators? ?Is he high?

> > Usually I wouldn't even bother to reply but given the post's subject line and the fact
> > that Richard Maine's advice on clf over the years has directly contributed to the
> > improvement of not just the quality of code I write but also the process of thinking about

> It's not that Richard isn't a walking encyclopedia on how to program well
> in fortran. ?It's got more to do with him being the Keith Thompson of clf.

> > ? it before writing it, I can't not reply. Not that the record needs it - a cursory search
> > of the newsgroup archive should be revealing enough. But, for me it's become an "if not
> > now, when?" situation.

> You'd find a body of good, original code that you couldn't see because of
> your supposed killfile. ?I've been trying to find some of the stuff that
> I've posted under other 'nyms, like the quicksort I did in fortran.

> Not that I could ask for help, because no one wants to be on the outside of
> the in group.
> --
> Frank

> I do personal attacks only on people who specialize in personal attacks..
> ~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview

From Merriam-Webster:

frank
Main Entry:
Pronunciation:
    \?fra?k\
Function:
    adjective
Etymology:
    Middle English, free, from Anglo-French franc, from Medieval Latin
francus, from Late Latin Francus Frank
Date:
    1535

1: marked by free, forthright, and sincere expression <a frank reply>2
a: unmistakably evident <frank materialism> b: clinically evident and
unmistakable <frank pus>

It seems ironic that someone who can't be free, forthright, and
sincere about the most basic information (his or her identity) would
choose the pseudonym "Frank". In fact, it seems clinically evident and
unmistakable that we're dealing with a clinical case here.

Damian

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:19:08 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook

Quote:
> In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Paul van Delst Did Inscribe:

> > [snip silly stuff]

> >> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

> > No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I can combine the
> > individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron Ford, Howard Jeagermeister, Richard

> > these monikers all refer to the same person.

> You misspelled some. ?Paul's one of the cool kids who works for the
> guvmint. ?I've never had an interaction with him, and he spends all this
> effort to maintain a killfile.

> I use a killfile to avoid interaction:
> !delete From {Stevens|Delst}

> I try to make it perfectly clear when I switch 'nyms, and he thinks he's
> Sherlock Holmes.

> > If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the same. Start out with
> > apparently reasonable requests that eventually descend into name calling. I have noticed
> > the length of time between reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the
> > various incarnations.

> > But, I think I'm getting good at identifying the perpetrators new persona after just one post.

> > woohoo <sigh>

> Perpetrators? ?Is he high?

> > Usually I wouldn't even bother to reply but given the post's subject line and the fact
> > that Richard Maine's advice on clf over the years has directly contributed to the
> > improvement of not just the quality of code I write but also the process of thinking about

> It's not that Richard isn't a walking encyclopedia on how to program well
> in fortran. ?It's got more to do with him being the Keith Thompson of clf.

> > ? it before writing it, I can't not reply. Not that the record needs it - a cursory search
> > of the newsgroup archive should be revealing enough. But, for me it's become an "if not
> > now, when?" situation.

> You'd find a body of good, original code that you couldn't see because of
> your supposed killfile. ?I've been trying to find some of the stuff that
> I've posted under other 'nyms, like the quicksort I did in fortran.

> Not that I could ask for help, because no one wants to be on the outside of
> the in group.
> --
> Frank

> I do personal attacks only on people who specialize in personal attacks..
> ~~ Al Franken, Playboy interview

From Merriam-Webster:

Date:
    1535

1: marked by free, forthright, and sincere expression <a frank reply>2
a: unmistakably evident <frank materialism> b: clinically evident and
unmistakable <frank pus>

It seems ironic that someone who can't be free, forthright, and
sincere about the most basic information (his or her identity) would
choose the pseudonym "Frank". In fact, it seems clinically evident and
unmistakable that we're dealing with a clinical case here.

Damian

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:26:58 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Damian Did Inscribe:

Quote:
> From Merriam-Webster:

> frank
> Main Entry:
> Pronunciation:
>     \?fra?k\
> Function:
>     adjective
> Etymology:
>     Middle English, free, from Anglo-French franc, from Medieval Latin
> francus, from Late Latin Francus Frank
> Date:
>     1535

> 1: marked by free, forthright, and sincere expression <a frank reply>2
> a: unmistakably evident <frank materialism> b: clinically evident and
> unmistakable <frank pus>

> It seems ironic that someone who can't be free, forthright, and
> sincere about the most basic information (his or her identity) would
> choose the pseudonym "Frank". In fact, it seems clinically evident and
> unmistakable that we're dealing with a clinical case here.

> Damian

I'll be happy not to know you.  I don't have my real name on my mailbox.

I'd ask him whether his mother actually named him Damian, but wouldn't be
able to read the response.

[comp.lang.fortran]

!delete From {Stevens|Delst|Damian}
--
Frank

I would never ordinally say this, but... is there any way you can get to a
pound cake?
~~ Al Franken

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:04:40 GMT
 Richard Maine and TF2003 Handbook
In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Craig Powers Did Inscribe:

Quote:

>> [snip silly stuff]

>>> I don't think this silliness is necessary.

>> No, it's not. My clf killfile is getting quite long. I'm wondering if I
>> can combine the individual entries for Franken Sense, Larry Gates, Ron

>> Ford, Lane Straatman, etc. etc. because I assume these monikers all
>> refer to the same person.

> Of late, the person making this posts admitted to it, and I think even
> offered a reason for it.

>> If they're not, it doesn't really matter since their MO is always the
>> same. Start out with apparently reasonable requests that eventually
>> descend into name calling. I have noticed the length of time between
>> reasonable and wingnut has varied quite significantly for the various
>> incarnations.

> I must have missed the name-calling in the past.  Usually, it starts out
> with a reasonable-looking request and devolves into minutia that have
> questionable relevance and also lead one to wonder if the original
> response was read or understood.  In fact, that's what led to my
> killfiling originally, I came to the conclusion that there was little
> point to responding when there was no sign that the original poster
> understood the replies.

As I recall, the questions we talked about had to do with calling routines
in other syntaxes.

I never got a handle on how to pass arrays to and from C++, largely because
I've never laid eyes on the C++ standard.  They consider it a trade secret.

Passing to and from C was difficult because it was so easy by comparison.
I'm clearer on that now that I've read the interop sections in MR&C and the
book in the title.
--
Frank

The irony upon irony of this lawsuit was great. First, Fox having the
trademark 'fair and balanced' -- a network which is anything but fair and
balanced. Then there's the irony of a news organization trying to suppress
free speech.
~~ Al Franken, CNN interview

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:14:22 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Richard Maine's book?

2. MAINE'S LAPTOP INITIATIVE IMPROVES STUDENT PERFORMANCE

3. StarLogo - Maine version

4. Your Maine project and constructivist learning

5. Your Maine project

6. Career Opportunities within Maine State Government

7. maine@summertriangle.net

8. APLBUG : Richard Woll : Senior Actuary @ Allstate Research

9. Where is Richard Taylor.... are you listening

10. Where Is Richard Taylor?

11. PING: Richard Rogers (Silkie)