Fortran and our Managers and reality
Author Message
 Fortran and our Managers and reality

Hi,

At my day job we have this manager who I heard say, "we should not use
fortran, no schools teach it and it is not supportable"

She has a really nice ass but unfortunately, he had her head up it
when she said what she said.

Fortran is the thinking man's language. It is the language of science.
It was spoken when the creators of C and C++ were peeing their
diapers.

C and C++, which I have learned as well as Basic and Fortran, suck the
big weenie. If you want to do GUI, use Fortan and Winteracter.

If you want to have a code which never really works, use C and C++

The most famous optical design program on the planet, CODE-V is
written in Fortran.

The worst optical design program in the world, ZEMAX, and written by
an {*filter*} who has no idea what he is doing, is written in C++.

If you write in MS Visual C++, porting to LINUX is like starting from
scratch. If you write in Fortran on MS Windows, just use Lawson
Wakefield's Winteracter and you can easily port to LINUX.

C++ programmers are idiots. Real programmers use Fortran. Fortran
rules and will win. Those who don't think so, probably believe that
Michael Jackson is a hetero{*filter*}.

West Coast Engineering (a 100% Fortran house).

Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:55:44 GMT
 Fortran and our Managers and reality

Quote:

> C and C++, which I have learned as well as Basic and Fortran, suck the
> big weenie. If you want to do GUI, use Fortan and Winteracter.

I'd rather use C/C++ for systems programming than Fortran.

However, when I need to do "real work" (in my case, signal processing
for radar), I generally turn back to Fortran or MATLAB.

Quote:
> If you write in MS Visual C++, porting to LINUX is like starting from
> scratch. If you write in Fortran on MS Windows, just use Lawson
> Wakefield's Winteracter and you can easily port to LINUX.

If you're using the MFC extensions, you deserve the pain involved in
recreating the GUI on other platforms...   but if you think things
through in the design stage, it's not really that difficult to move from
MFC-based C++ on Windows to Motif or wxWindows on UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD.

Quote:
> C++ programmers are idiots. Real programmers use Fortran. Fortran
> rules and will win. Those who don't think so, probably believe that
> Michael Jackson is a hetero{*filter*}.

Real programmers use the right tool for the job.

I've spent about 80% of my coding time in the past two years using
MATLAB, 15% in Fortran, and the remainder in Java.

Could I implement my code entirely in Fortran?

Certainly.

Do I feel the need to do so?

Nope--  I'm dealing with pre-existing MATLAB routines that I *know* are
correct, and speed isn't an issue for 90% of the stuff I do anymore.

Quote:
> West Coast Engineering (a 100% Fortran house).

-Bill Blum

Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:32:18 GMT
 Fortran and our Managers and reality

Quote:
> C++ programmers are idiots. Real programmers use Fortran. Fortran
> rules and will win. Those who don't think so, probably believe that
> Michael Jackson is a hetero{*filter*}.

???...

Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:11:04 GMT

1. virtual REALITY - more REALITY

2. US-MA-Boston VMS/COBOL or FORTRAN Project Managers (Permanent Positions)

3. APL97 vision now reality

4. SmallTalk, Self, etc. used in Virtual Reality

5. Anonymous:Reality check

6. Reality of Language Security

7. Virtual Reality Programming

8. Virtual Reality

9. virtual reality type app, help!

10. FREE VISUAL FIVEWIN !!! - A reality

11. ODBC 32 bits RDD for Clipper: A reality !!!

12. FiveWin ODBC RDD: A reality!!!