Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP
Author Message
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Hi,

I'm looking for a fortran robust fortran compiler for the Opteron that
will support OpenMP on dual opteron Linux systems.
 From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
both claim to work with Opteron.

1. Do ifc and pgf90 support OpenMP on opteron?
2. Are there others?

I hope Lahey does because I like their licensing
and lf95 works great for me on Intel chips.

Thanks,
Charlie
--

System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:00:17 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:

> I'm looking for a fortran robust fortran compiler for the Opteron that
> will support OpenMP on dual opteron Linux systems.
>  From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
> both claim to work with Opteron.

> 1. Do ifc and pgf90 support OpenMP on opteron?
> 2. Are there others?

I see that NAG lists an AMD 64-bit Linux version.  (That would
be Opteron, right?  I think so, but I sometimes loose track of
the various names.)

I don't know whether it supports OpenMP or not; that's just not
something I've much looked into.  NAG certainly delivers robust
compilers - that's their strong point (IMO).

email: my first.last at org.domain  |  experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov              |        -- Mark Twain

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:24:46 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:
>  From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
> both claim to work with Opteron.

Intel does not claim that its compilers support Opteron.
--
Steve Lionel
Software Products Division

Intel Fortran Support:
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

User communities for Intel Fortran and Visual Fortran:
  http://softwareforums.intel.com/

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:45:16 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm looking for a fortran robust fortran compiler for the Opteron that
> will support OpenMP on dual opteron Linux systems.
>  From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
> both claim to work with Opteron.

> 1. Do ifc and pgf90 support OpenMP on opteron?
> 2. Are there others?

> I hope Lahey does because I like their licensing
> and lf95 works great for me on Intel chips.

"64-bit" operating systems for these systems are supposed to support
standard 32-bit applications.  Lahey OpenMP has had an excellent reputation.
PGI of course sells compilers specifically for these systems.
You would have to check specifics of which revisions of which OS have
threading libraries which match up properly with the compiler you choose,
e.g. by glibc revision number.  If you can run the same 32-bit linux distro
which the compiler prefers, you should have no difficulty, with the
following possible exception:
Intel compilers support Opteron, but not necessarily with full SSE/SSE2
optimizations.

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:07:22 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:

>> Hi,

>> I'm looking for a fortran robust fortran compiler for the Opteron that
>> will support OpenMP on dual opteron Linux systems.
>>  From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
>> both claim to work with Opteron.

>> 1. Do ifc and pgf90 support OpenMP on opteron?
>> 2. Are there others?

>> I hope Lahey does because I like their licensing
>> and lf95 works great for me on Intel chips.

> "64-bit" operating systems for these systems are supposed to support
> standard 32-bit applications.  Lahey OpenMP has had an excellent reputation.

The problem is that these 32-bit applications are limited to a
4 GB virtual address space.  Lahey's reputation (or that of any
other 32-bit vendor) is moot if you need the address space of a
64-bit OS.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:18:18 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:
>2. Are there others?

Charlie,

The Pathscale compiler, which is currently in beta on the Opteron, is
going to acquire an OpenMP runtime by the end of the year, if I
remember the roadmap correctly. More details, www.pathscale.com.

-- greg
employed by, but not speaking for, Pathscale

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:25:57 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:
> Intel does not claim that its compilers support Opteron.

Yes, I mis-spoke. I read users' postings that ifc worked well on AMD
chips. I'm not sure whether Opteron was specifically included,
although Athlon was.

Charlie
--

System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:52:37 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:

> > Intel does not claim that its compilers support Opteron.

> Yes, I mis-spoke. I read users' postings that ifc worked well on AMD
> chips. I'm not sure whether Opteron was specifically included,
> although Athlon was.

To date, Intel has not included non-Intel processors in its list of
supported processors.  That does not mean that the Intel compilers don't
work on non-Intel processors.  As you note, many are quite happy with Intel
compilers on non-Intel processors.  We like to think that our compilers work
best for Intel processors, but it is our intention to offer the best IA-32
compilers, no matter who makes the processor.

--
Steve Lionel
Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

Intel Fortran Support:
  http://developer.intel.com/software/products/support/

User communities for Intel Fortran and Visual Fortran:
  http://softwareforums.intel.com/

Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:00:01 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:

>> From this newsgroup I've gleaned that Intel and Portland group compilers
>> both claim to work with Opteron.

> Intel does not claim that its compilers support Opteron.

We(^) have run 32-bit x86 executables (made by any of the  x86 32-bit compilers)
on the x86-64 Opteron without a hitch.  Of course, when running in backwards-
compatibility mode, these executables did not make use of the extra registers,
the larger memory address space, and so forth.

We have used 64-bit versions of Absoft, Portland Group Inc, and NAG compilers
on the Opteron.  And we are now beta testing PathScale's compiler who considers
lack of performance a bug!

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the OpenMP question as we use MPI.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb, NASA, Hampton, {*filter*}ia, USA

^We = http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:54:12 GMT
 Fortran compiler for Opteron with OpenMP

Quote:

> We have used 64-bit versions of Absoft, Portland Group Inc, and NAG compilers
> on the Opteron.  And we are now beta testing PathScale's compiler who considers
> lack of performance a bug!

> Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the OpenMP question as we use MPI.

> Regards,

Hi;

Based on your exprience, which compiler do you recommend? (for Opteron
regardless of OpenMP) -- What are their strength and weakness?

Thank you
nobat

Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:16:36 GMT

1. g95 Fortran compiler on AMD opteron running SUN Solaris 10

2. Compaq Fortran compiler and OpenMP on a Tru64 machine

3. Intel Fortran 8.1 compiler, OpenMP and !$OMP WORKSHARE

4. OpenMP bug in Cray's Fortran 90 compiler

5. alpha stage OpenMP compilers for Fortran 95 and C

6. Which is best compiler to support Opteron

7. Linux 64-bit (Opteron) Fortran 95?

8. Opteron and Fortran

9. XL Fortran for AMD64 Opteron

10. (Re:) RDTSC-based Fortran-callable timer for Opteron/Linux

11. RDTSC-based Fortran-callable timer for Opteron/Linux

12. AMD Opteron + intel fortran (linux)