Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!) 
Author Message
 Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!)

I am new to fortran and have a program example that I need to complete on my
own and was wondering how you would go about creating it.

The directions read as follows - Write a program which reads a person's
weight and height one at a time and prints a table of the form shown below

Height        Weight        Characteristic
XXX            XXX        XXX
XXX            XXX        XXX
etc                etc            etc

Use a mask of I3 to print the height and weight. For the characteristic
print: "Skinny" if W less than 3.8H-118; "Fat" is w Greater than 4.2H-132;
"Normal" otherwise. Note that three different format sentences, each
containing a different literal will be required.

Student        Height           Weight

and then gives 10 students with various heights and weights.

I have no idea on where to even start since I have very little fortran
knowledge. PLEASE HELP! Thanks...

--
Matthew Broome, MCSE



Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:47:50 GMT  
 Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!)


Quote:
> I am new to Fortran and have a program example that I need to complete on
my
> own and was wondering how you would go about creating it.

Well, here it goes again...if someone here does it, you won't meet criterion
number one...

Quote:
> The directions read as follows - Write a program which reads a person's
> weight and height one at a time and prints a table of the form shown below

> Height        Weight        Characteristic
> XXX            XXX        XXX
> XXX            XXX        XXX
> etc                etc            etc

> Use a mask of I3 to print the height and weight. For the characteristic
> print: "Skinny" if W less than 3.8H-118; "Fat" is w Greater than 4.2H-132;
> "Normal" otherwise. Note that three different format sentences, each
> containing a different literal will be required.

> Student        Height           Weight

> and then gives 10 students with various heights and weights.

> I have no idea on where to even start since I have very little fortran
> knowledge. PLEASE HELP! Thanks...

That's why you're taking the course...to learn Fortran.  Read your text
first.

If and when you get stuck on a particular problem, post a specific question
and your proposed solution and <then> I'm sure you will receive a great deal
of help....w/o the initial effort, this will probably be the kindest post
you get.



Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:10:10 GMT  
 Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!)
I'm not taking a class, I teach C++ and have a student who has proposed I
try this.  Please Help, any input would be greatly appreciated.


Quote:



> > I am new to Fortran and have a program example that I need to complete
on
> my
> > own and was wondering how you would go about creating it.

> Well, here it goes again...if someone here does it, you won't meet
criterion
> number one...

> > The directions read as follows - Write a program which reads a person's
> > weight and height one at a time and prints a table of the form shown
below

> > Height        Weight        Characteristic
> > XXX            XXX        XXX
> > XXX            XXX        XXX
> > etc                etc            etc

> > Use a mask of I3 to print the height and weight. For the characteristic
> > print: "Skinny" if W less than 3.8H-118; "Fat" is w Greater than
4.2H-132;
> > "Normal" otherwise. Note that three different format sentences, each
> > containing a different literal will be required.

> > Student        Height           Weight

> > and then gives 10 students with various heights and weights.

> > I have no idea on where to even start since I have very little fortran
> > knowledge. PLEASE HELP! Thanks...

> That's why you're taking the course...to learn Fortran.  Read your text
> first.

> If and when you get stuck on a particular problem, post a specific
question
> and your proposed solution and <then> I'm sure you will receive a great
deal
> of help....w/o the initial effort, this will probably be the kindest post
> you get.



Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:43:43 GMT  
 Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!)

Quote:

> The directions read as follows - Write a program which reads a person's
> weight and height one at a time and prints a table of the form shown below
> Height        Weight        Characteristic
> XXX            XXX        XXX
> XXX            XXX        XXX
> etc                etc            etc
> Use a mask of I3 to print the height and weight. For the characteristic
> print: "Skinny" if W less than 3.8H-118; "Fat" is w Greater than 4.2H-132;
> "Normal" otherwise. Note that three different format sentences, each
> containing a different literal will be required.

And make sure the program logic properly handles extreme cases.
A student with height 34 and weight 11 is both Skinny and Fat, so you
might need to print a fourth characteristic.  :)
(What are the units of measure, anyway?)

--
John Wingate             Language serves three functions.  One is to

                         the third is to conceal the absence of ideas.
                                                        --Otto Jespersen



Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:28:03 GMT  
 Simple Fortran Program Help (HELP!)

Quote:
>I'm not taking a class, I teach C++ and have a student who has proposed I
>try this.  Please Help, any input would be greatly appreciated.



  .. well if your school has a reputation to preserve, don't tell us
where you teach.
Chris


Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:49:34 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Help: Fortran program as a thread of a C program

2. SIMPLE Fortran question (please help

3. SIMPLE Fortran question (please help)

4. Help... Simple program needed

5. Help: Absolute Beginner Needs to Fix simple Program

6. HELP WITH SIMPLE PROGRAM PLEASE

7. Need Help with a simple ASM program...

8. Please help: LOOP bug in simple program!!

9. Simple Diagramming Program for Fortran Language Programs

10. help with ncurses - if anyone can give me a simple ncurses program

11. Need Help with a simple f77 program

12. f77 program - simple - need help

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software