Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler
Author Message
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

I'm very new to fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

better alternative?  I don't mind paying for an inexpensive software
(possibly an old DOS-only MS Fortran version?), but not $100+ since
I've already bought Borland C++ 5.0 and Turbo Assembler (and thus am
flat broke) ;-)

--Paul

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

        In comp.lang.fortran you write:

        >I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
        >compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
        >for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
        >compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
        >PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
        >surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
        >~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

        >better alternative?  I don't mind paying for an inexpensive software
        >(possibly an old DOS-only MS Fortran version?), but not $100+ since
        >I've already bought Borland C++ 5.0 and Turbo Assembler (and thus am
        >flat broke) ;-)

        >--Paul

---Try Lahey ELF90, free from http:/www.lahey.com/
(Needs 8Mb and a co-processor).

There's also Salford Fortran 90, student version was around $100,
runs under DOS with 4Mb and doesn't need a co-processor (but will
use one if it's installed).

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:
>I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
>compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
>for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
>compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
>PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
>surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
>~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

>better alternative?  I don't mind paying for an inexpensive software
>(possibly an old DOS-only MS Fortran version?), but not $100+ since
>I've already bought Borland C++ 5.0 and Turbo Assembler (and thus am
>flat broke) ;-)

>--Paul

I should clarify that my Fortran course is using ANSI Fortran 77.
Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler, and not something
like the Essential Lahey Fortran 90 (Elf90) (which is a subset of F-90
and does not offer the full F-77 feature set), even though it's rather
inexpensive ($79 student pricing)...

--Paul

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

        >I should clarify that my Fortran course is using ANSI Fortran 77.
        >Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler, and not something
        >like the Essential Lahey Fortran 90 (Elf90) (which is a subset of F-90
        >and does not offer the full F-77 feature set), even though it's rather
        >inexpensive ($79 student pricing)...

---The Lahey ELF90 compiler is free.

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

        >I should clarify that my Fortran course is using ANSI Fortran 77.
        >Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler

---The Salford F90 compiler is a full Fortran 90,
so it runs F77 programs in fixed and free formats.

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

[snip]

Quote:
>Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler, and not something

[snip]

Lahey's Personal Fortran lists for under $80.  You might check to see if

code limited to one 64K page, but it might be enough for your first-course
needs.

Ken Plotkin

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:

>I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
>compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
>for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
>compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
>PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
>surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
>~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

The Salford/NAG Fortran 90 compiler is US$ 99 plus shipping for
undergraduate users at recognised academic institutions.  There is
also a Fortran 77 compiler available under the same terms.  Cost is
US$ 75 plus shipping.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,    Mark Stevens

     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Love: A social disease which can be cured by marriage.

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:

>>I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
>>compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
>>for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
>>compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
>>PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
>>surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
>>~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

>>better alternative?  I don't mind paying for an inexpensive software
>>(possibly an old DOS-only MS Fortran version?), but not $100+ since
>>I've already bought Borland C++ 5.0 and Turbo Assembler (and thus am
>>flat broke) ;-)

>>--Paul

>I should clarify that my Fortran course is using ANSI Fortran 77.
>Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler, and not something
>like the Essential Lahey Fortran 90 (Elf90) (which is a subset of F-90
>and does not offer the full F-77 feature set), even though it's rather
>inexpensive ($79 student pricing)...

I guess it depends how "flat broke" you are.  Check out www.lahey.com.  They
have a "personal" Fortran 77 out for under $100 and (for a "limited time")
they're giving away Elf90.

It's true that Elf90 doesn't support the entire F77 standard, but if this
is your first ever Fortran class, you probably won't even notice the
difference.  And with a price of $0.00, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

- Blair

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

: I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
: compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming
: for my class at home (instead of using the campus VMS Fortran
: compiler).  The only ones I've found so far is of course MS
: PowerStation 4.0 and NAG F90.  The MS PS 4.0's academic pricing is
: surprisingly more than twice the cost of MS Visual C++ (~$235 vs.
: ~$109), and the NAG F90 is even more than that.

: better alternative?  I don't mind paying for an inexpensive software
: (possibly an old DOS-only MS Fortran version?), but not $100+ since
: I've already bought Borland C++ 5.0 and Turbo Assembler (and thus am
: flat broke) ;-)

Watcom compilers ahve a rather good academic pricing as I recall and without
a doubt generate tight code. Also they ahve the advantage to be multiplatform
(OS wise), so you can generate executables for MessyDog, Windoze (incl.
3.1 and NT, I believe) and IBM OS/2.  Nice compiler.   Stefan

PS: You could also go for GNU fortran g77 which has been ported to DOS
and OS/2 by a nice soul and runs very well there. I might expect it to
work under WindBlows '95 as well. (I haven't tried, as you may have guessed).

Kind regards!  Stefan

: --Paul

                                             home^    UTK^     ORNL^
If there is software you'd like to have in a native version, visit the:
OS/2 E-mail Campaign Page http://www.andrews.edu/~boyko/email.html

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Why should you teach any part of F77 that is not in ELF90?

Students should no longer be learning the obsolete junk
that is not supported by the new subsets (such as storage
association). Any worth while application can be done much
better in ELF90 that in F77. The only excuse for using the
<legacy features> of F77 is that you have a few million lines
of old stuff that you still need to maintain.

- Loren Meissner

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:

> [snip]
> >Thus, I need either an F-77 or a full F-90 compiler, and not something
> [snip]

> Lahey's Personal Fortran lists for under $80.  You might check to see if

> code limited to one 64K page, but it might be enough for your first-course
> needs.

> Ken Plotkin

LP77 has been discontinued.  We sold the last copies last week.  There might
be a few copies laying around in bookstores or with one of the various
software catalogs.

Elf90 is our new educational Fortran product.  It is a subset of Fortran 90
and is good for learning Fortran 90 or developing new codes.  It is not
useful for compiling existing Fortran 77 (or earlier) codes.  The compiler
is available for free at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

The free version does not include de{*filter*}, manual, or editor.  The complete
package is available for $195 ($79 educational).

By the way, the problem reported on comp.lang.fortran with INQUIRE in Elf90
2.0 is a real, verified bug.  We will be putting up a fix on our web site
soon.

* Bob Runyan                  "What lies behind us and   *
* Lahey Computer Systems       what lies before us are   *
* (702) 831-2500               tiny matters compared to  *

* http://www.*-*-*.com/         - Ralph Waldo Emerson     *

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:

>  I'm very new to Fortran, and just now am starting to look for a
>  compiler for my system (PC running Win95) so I can do the programming

snip

Quote:
>  --Paul

        Let me add my voice to the modernization  recomendations you've
been recieving.   I'd suggest you print several of the messages you've
recieved here and attempt to educate your instructor, and the instructor's
computer department.   Anyone working with Fortran 77 when ELF 90 is
available for free,  and F is free for Linux and very cheap on other machines,
should really reconsider.  I was going to use the obsolete 77 on for my course
on campus last spring, but I heeded the words of Dr. Meisner to modernize.
I used F and liked it very much.   I have now become a real F fan for an introductory course,
but I know ELF90 is very good and even has several excellent texts in print.
        If your instructor uses any GOTO's or statement labels on any
non-format statements,  RUN.,  go find a modern campus.   Come over to
my low budget Junior College in the spring!   (Ventura Junior College, Ventura, Ca.)

my statements reflect only my opinions, not the school's
_______________________
|Ralph Jay Frisbie      |
|A flying saucer lover, |
|but not the inventor.  |

|-----------------------

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:

> [...]
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> The free version does not include de{*filter*}, manual, or editor.  The complete
> package is available for $195 ($79 educational).

According to your web page, the free version also does not optimize.

J. Giles
Ricercar Software

Mon, 01 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Eh...whoops, I ALMOST forgot to check back here for answers to my post
(duh!)

Anyway, THANKS A BUNCH for the many, many helpful info!!

I'm just now getting the several free stuff you guys mentioned (thanks
again!) - if not enough I'll opt for one of the $75-100 packages
mentioned.

BTW, just FYI, it seems there's a bit of minor differences with the
FORTRAN used on the campus' DEC VAX/VMS machines and my PC (at least,
with BC-Fortran 77 -- as I said I'm just now getting the other
programs and trying them out).  Not a big deal at all (just string
formatting, etc)...

--Paul

P.S.  Did I mention: THANKS! ;-)

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Cheap DOS/Win Fortran compiler

Quote:
>    Let me add my voice to the modernization  recomendations you've
>been recieving.   I'd suggest you print several of the messages you've
>recieved here and attempt to educate your instructor, and the instructor's
>computer department.   Anyone working with Fortran 77 when ELF 90 is
>available for free,  and F is free for Linux and very cheap on other machines,
>should really reconsider.  I was going to use the obsolete 77 on for my course
>on campus last spring, but I heeded the words of Dr. Meisner to modernize.
>I used F and liked it very much.   I have now become a real F fan for an introductory course,
>but I know ELF90 is very good and even has several excellent texts in print.
>    If your instructor uses any GOTO's or statement labels on any
>non-format statements,  RUN.,  go find a modern campus.   Come over to
>my low budget Junior College in the spring!   (Ventura Junior College, Ventura, Ca.)

>my statements reflect only my opinions, not the school's
>_______________________
>|Ralph Jay Frisbie      |

Tell me about it!  I of course didn't know all this before, but after
reading the VOLUMINOUS info here, the FAQ, web pages, etc, it seems
kinda stupid to stick with F-77...  Plus our textbook is quite old - 7
years (as you've probably guessed).  Say, wasn't F-90 ratified AFTER
that?  That would (sadly) explain it... :-(

At least it seems that the book discourages GOTO's as much as
possible:

"GOTOless programming is emphasized, although it's not possible to
entirely eliminate use of the GO TO statement in ANSI FORTRAN 77."

Also, we use the FORTRAN on the DEC VAXes with VMS here on campus, and
our teacher surprisingly kinda discourages us from programming at home
on PCs (weird or what?)!

At least this school (U. of Houston) has a pretty good C++ course
(plus they use C++ on the WinNT PC's on campus -- which I can fully
access as a MS Network client from my Win95 PC at home, BTW) :-)

--Paul

Tue, 02 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Fortran 77 Compiler for DOS/Win?

2. cheap compiler for dos

3. Mac Fortran Compiler (cheap/free)???

4. where can I get a cheap FORTRAN compiler

5. Needed: Cheap Mac FORTRAN Compiler

6. Cheap/Free fortran compiler for Windows95

7. PL/1 compiler for DOS/WIN/OS2 ?

8. Free VHDL compiler on Win/DOS

9. Wanted: Compiler for MS-DOS & Win 31

10. DOS or Win compilers

11. COBOL for Unix/Win/OS2/DOS/ Compiler Questionaire