AcuCobol, sp2, Dialog
Author Message
 AcuCobol, sp2, Dialog

Hey, I want to join the fun!

I got a rock solid DOS-based, large, character app
written using MF Workbench 3.2.  I have to port the
app (approx 200 progs) to Windoze NT _and_ develop
a GUI interface.  Whew!

Anyhow, as the first step we're probably gonna get the
32 bit Workbench to do a quiick port, then start on the
GUI.

I've downloaded the demo/evaluation copies from AcuCobol,
sp2 and Dialog.  In fact we have an older version of Dialog
to play with.

A couple of thoughts:

1)  Not too keen on Dialog.  For sure not even close to
     any COBOL standard(s), especially  where a majority of the
     interface code has to be written in another language,
     in this case, 'Dialog'.  When I first saw 'RETC', I thought
     I was back in Easycoder class!

2)  'call using'  is standard ANSI COBOL syntax.

3)  The Acucobol stuff seems awfull similiar to sp2!!
     If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck .....

3)  If I'm  gonna buy a duck, Im gonna get the
     original 'duck'.

Sun, 09 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 AcuCobol, sp2, Dialog

Quote:

> Hey, I want to join the fun!

> I got a rock solid DOS-based, large, character app
> written using MF Workbench 3.2.  I have to port the
> app (approx 200 progs) to Windoze NT _and_ develop
> a GUI interface.  Whew!

> Anyhow, as the first step we're probably gonna get the
> 32 bit Workbench to do a quiick port, then start on the
> GUI.

> I've downloaded the demo/evaluation copies from AcuCobol,
> sp2 and Dialog.  In fact we have an older version of Dialog
> to play with.

> A couple of thoughts:

> 1)  Not too keen on Dialog.  For sure not even close to
>      any COBOL standard(s), especially  where a majority of the
>      interface code has to be written in another language,
>      in this case, 'Dialog'.  When I first saw 'RETC', I thought
>      I was back in Easycoder class!

> 2)  'call using'  is standard ANSI COBOL syntax.

> 3)  The Acucobol stuff seems awfull similiar to sp2!!
>      If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck .....

> 3)  If I'm  gonna buy a duck, Im gonna get the
>      original 'duck'.

Mojo,

Regarding ACUCOBOL-GT and AcuScreens-GT in comparison to SP2...

ACUCOBOL-GT is comprised of a series of programs and utilities, in
addition to the compiler and runtime.  ACUCOBOL-GT is an ANSI COBOL 85
compliant compiler with COBOL language extensions supporting GUI source
level coding using COBOL; without.  These code extensions support an
expanded syntax to the DISPLAY and ACCEPT verbs, as well as definition
of GUI and/or character based screens using a Screen Section.
ACUCOBOL-GT provides support for GUI programming using COBOL without
having to invoke API's external to the application system.  The GUI
syntax is part of the COBOL language extensions removing a layer of
application system dependencies; both from a programmer skillset and
from a third party support perspective.

AcuScreens-GT is our screen painter application that generates the
ACUCOBOL-GT COBOL source code; screen section, working storage, and
procedure division code.  It is necessary to go beyond the user
interface, before noting the difference.

You can look forward to a complete IDE (Integrated Development
Environment) from Acucobol in the coming months.  Although your posting
implies that you've already chosen to move down a particular path, you
may find it of interest to investigate all of Acucobol's product
offerings, and learn how leveraging some of these advanced solutions can
provide you with expanded capabilities.

Sincerely,
  Jim Zisch
James H. Zisch, Systems Engineer
Acucobol, Inc.
http://www.acucobol.com/
tel: (888) 767 0670 (in USA)
or:  +1 619 689 7129
fax: +1 619 689 7251

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 AcuCobol, sp2, Dialog

Recommend taking a look at "Mpact", a product from ESI.
www.esiusa.com  .   They've got a hot application development system for
MicroFocus and other COBOL dialects.    GUI, Datadictionary, etc.

Quote:

>Hey, I want to join the fun!

>I got a rock solid DOS-based, large, character app
>written using MF Workbench 3.2.  I have to port the
>app (approx 200 progs) to Windoze NT _and_ develop
>a GUI interface.  Whew!

>Anyhow, as the first step we're probably gonna get the
>32 bit Workbench to do a quiick port, then start on the
>GUI.

>I've downloaded the demo/evaluation copies from AcuCobol,
>sp2 and Dialog.  In fact we have an older version of Dialog
>to play with.

>A couple of thoughts:

>1)  Not too keen on Dialog.  For sure not even close to
>     any COBOL standard(s), especially  where a majority of the
>     interface code has to be written in another language,
>     in this case, 'Dialog'.  When I first saw 'RETC', I thought
>     I was back in Easycoder class!

>2)  'call using'  is standard ANSI COBOL syntax.

>3)  The Acucobol stuff seems awfull similiar to sp2!!
>     If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck .....

>3)  If I'm  gonna buy a duck, Im gonna get the
>     original 'duck'.

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. AcuCobol + SP2: Any user experiences?

2. sp2 vs MF Dialog System

3. Converting from ACUCOBOL 85 VISION to ACUCOBOL-GT with ORACLE

4. Directory Dialog/File Dialog

5. Second Try - Call modal dialog from modal dialog

6. Call modal dialog from modal dialog?

7. APL2 on SP2

8. APL2 on SP2?

9. ODBC on NT 4.0 (SP2) w/CW2002.01pe

10. blinker 3.3 with Windows 2000 SP2

11. Clipper 5.3b + Workbench + Blinker 5.1 on Win2K SP2

12. Win98 compared to WinNT 4.0 with NetExpress and Sp2