Record count in a file
Author Message
 Record count in a file

I am using MF NetExpress 2.0 and have run into a problem.  On our current
system running on an AIX machine,  I have a program that utilizes the fhinfo
utility and can tell me the number of records in an ISAM file.  Now I'm
trying to write a utility to do the same thing if the data is on an NT
server and I can't figure out how to do it.  Is there a way to the get
record count of an ISAM file that will work for both NT and AIX?  Thanks in
advance.

bill

Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Record count in a file

Quote:

> I am using MF NetExpress 2.0 and have run into a problem.  On our current
> system running on an AIX machine,  I have a program that utilizes the fhinfo
> utility and can tell me the number of records in an ISAM file.  Now I'm
> trying to write a utility to do the same thing if the data is on an NT
> server and I can't figure out how to do it.  Is there a way to the get
> record count of an ISAM file that will work for both NT and AIX?  Thanks in
> advance.

> bill

Sorry Bill, no solution--just sympathy.

(begin whine mode--attention Micro Focus if you're listening)

We have been telling Micro Focus for several years that knowing the
number of records in a file is important.

We came from a Wang VS platform and were used to knowing the record
count inherently.  (The FD contained a VALUE OF SPACE IS data-name
clause.)  As soon as the file was opened *and on every i/o* the SPACE
value was updated by the operating system.  There was also a subroutine
call to easily obtain a record count without opening the file.  We often
used this information to make processing decisions, initialize "in
progress" screen thermometers, and do a bunch of other stuff that was
just easier knowing accurate record counts.  Why is this concept so
difficult?

(end whine mode)  I'm better now.
--

                              | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
Information Systems Manager   |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA
LaRich Distributors, Inc.     | web:    http://www.larich.com

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Record count in a file

Quote:
>We came from a Wang VS platform and were used to knowing
> the record count inherently.

Yes, and you could even get the record count of a file in
Procedure Language too.  You could pass that back into
the COBOL program through the linkage section if you
were modifying a system that didn't have VALUE OF SPACE
coded in the FDs.

Something like 'extract records used by file.library.volume'
if my senior memory hasn't lost an extent :)

James.

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Record Count On VSAM File Under CICS

2. Counting non-deleted records in a Clipper/dBase file

3. How to obtain the record count of very large files

4. counting number of records in a Fortran direct file

5. counting records .... help me please

6. counting records with a condition

7. count number of record with a filter

8. Counting Records

9. count number of records in view?

10. counting specific records w POINTER() or POSITION()

11. Browse: counting selected records

12. count records