VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS
Author Message
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS

Hello,

I need badly help on COBOL with VSAM-ESDS-Files.
Our Mainframe works with the VSE OS. The Compiler is COBOL 85 Standard
I am working as an Programmer for Business-Aplications since October
1998. At school we worked just on PC's.
Now, i have to fill a ESDS-file with my program. Because the
mainlanguage in the company is ASSEMBLER there is nobody I can asked
about.
Now the problem:
There is a VSAM-ESDS-File with a Record-Length of 410 Bytes. I have to
append records to this file.
How to declare it in th SELECT-Clause?
How to Open the File? ( When i try OPEN EXTEND the compiler says It
may occur a abend on VSE)

A another problem is the Record-Length :
I already tryed OPEN I-O, but I could not open it because the
File-Status sayed 'wrong record length'.

Maybe someone has some suggestions for me.

thanks Ogan

Mfg Ogan Gnther Karaman

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS
Have you already looked at:

http://www.s390.ibm.com/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/IGYVA001/2%2e9%...

which is the section
   "2.9.4.3 Coding Input/Output Statements for VSAM Files"
in
  Title: COBOL/VSE Programming Guide
  Document Number: SC26-8072-01

I think that this section (and the other sections showing what JCL to use)
should help you with your questions.  I come primarily from an MVS (OS/390)
background, so I don't feel very comfortable answering your specific
questions - but hopefully one of our VSE experts will give you more
direction.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein <at> ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:
> Hello,

> I need badly help on COBOL with VSAM-ESDS-Files.
> Our Mainframe works with the VSE OS. The Compiler is COBOL 85 Standard
> I am working as an Programmer for Business-Aplications since October
> 1998. At school we worked just on PC's.
> Now, i have to fill a ESDS-file with my program. Because the
> mainlanguage in the company is ASSEMBLER there is nobody I can asked
> about.
> Now the problem:
> There is a VSAM-ESDS-File with a Record-Length of 410 Bytes. I have to
> append records to this file.
> How to declare it in th SELECT-Clause?
> How to Open the File? ( When i try OPEN EXTEND the compiler says It
> may occur a abend on VSE)

> A another problem is the Record-Length :
> I already tryed OPEN I-O, but I could not open it because the
> File-Status sayed 'wrong record length'.

> Maybe someone has some suggestions for me.

> thanks Ogan

> Mfg Ogan Gnther Karaman

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS
On Mon, 24 May 1999 13:46:27 -0500, "William M. Klein"

Quote:

>Have you already looked at:

>http://www.s390.ibm.com/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/IGYVA001/2%2e9%...

>which is the section
>   "2.9.4.3 Coding Input/Output Statements for VSAM Files"
>in
>  Title: COBOL/VSE Programming Guide
>  Document Number: SC26-8072-01

>I think that this section (and the other sections showing what JCL to use)
>should help you with your questions.  I come primarily from an MVS (OS/390)
>background, so I don't feel very comfortable answering your specific
>questions - but hopefully one of our VSE experts will give you more
>direction.

Thank you very much for this Hint :-)

Mfg Ogan Gnther Karaman

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS

Quote:
> Hello,

> I need badly help on COBOL with VSAM-ESDS-Files.
> Our Mainframe works with the VSE OS. The Compiler is COBOL 85 Standard
> I am working as an Programmer for Business-Aplications since October
> 1998. At school we worked just on PC's.
> Now, i have to fill a ESDS-file with my program. Because the
> mainlanguage in the company is ASSEMBLER there is nobody I can asked
> about.
> Now the problem:
> There is a VSAM-ESDS-File with a Record-Length of 410 Bytes. I have to
> append records to this file.
> How to declare it in th SELECT-Clause?
> How to Open the File? ( When i try OPEN EXTEND the compiler says It
> may occur a abend on VSE)

> A another problem is the Record-Length :
> I already tryed OPEN I-O, but I could not open it because the
> File-Status sayed 'wrong record length'.

> Maybe someone has some suggestions for me.

I'm curious as to what you've tried already.  This is just a guess, but I
think this may be your problem.  In your select statement, instead of doing
something such as "SELECT FILENAME  ASSIGN TO FNAME" (where "FILENAME" is
your COBOL file name and "FNAME" is your DLBL) you should instead do "SELECT
FILENAME ASSIGN TO AS-FNAME".  If you simply use FNAME it defaults to a
regular SAM (or VSAM managed SAM) file.  Using the "AS-" prefix lets COBOL
II know that it's a VSAM ESDS.

I believe this is all correct, but check your COBOL manual for more details.
Of course, this may not be your problem at all, but it's all I can think of
without seeing your source.
--
---
Frank Swarbrick

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS
Thank's to all who tried to help me!

The solution of my problem was actually the "AS-" prefix in the
SELECT-Statement.

Thank you very much

Regards  Ogan Karaman
Mfg Ogan Gnther Karaman

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VSAM-ESDS on VSE OS

Quote:
> Thank's to all who tried to help me!

> The solution of my problem was actually the "AS-" prefix in the
> SELECT-Statement.

My god, I was right.  I may faint...

:-)
--
Frank Swarbrick

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with migration VSE for OS/2 to VSE for Windows NT

2. OS/390 Now getting open error on VSAM

3. VSAM problems re; cobol/os vs cobol/mvs

4. VSE OS/2---16 bit DLL callback

5. VSE Smalltalk on FAST PCs using OS/2

6. Forking a Process in VSE for OS/2

7. VSE and OS/2 Multimedia (MMPM/2)

8. VSE 3.1 Walkback causes OS/2 Hang?

9. OS/2 Hang in VSE 3.1.1?

10. How to open ESDS file?

11. ESDS help -student

12. VSE Porting Tool Project - Looking for VSE customer contacts for porting study