Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2
Author Message
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Can anyone out there point out the major differences in COBOL I and
COBOL II to me?  I'm just learning COBOL and I'm kind of confused about
this right now.

Jerry

Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Well..... it depends what you are referring to....

The following is a shortened extract of the material from the course
material for Topic 1 of "Planning COBOL Migration".

In the IBM mainframe world (at least the high end of it) there have been a
succession of COBOL compiler and run-time products offered over the last
30 years.

With the original OS/360 offering -

non-standardized COBOL - COBOL(E)
non-standardized COBOL - COBOL(F) - had more features
first standard COBOL - ANSI COBOL Version 2 - implemented 1968 standard
COBOL plus IBM extensions

With "unbundling" - software was no longer free somewhere around 1969

first standard COBOL - ANSI COBOL Version 3 - implemented
 1968 standard COBOL, plus more IBM extensions - first program product -
something like $25 per month per machine

first standard COBOL - ANSI COBOL Version 4 - circa 1972 - implemented
1968 standard COBOL, plus even more IBM extensions - aimed at TSO (time
sharing option of opsys) application development and debug.  Also added
dynamic resolution of CALL capability.

first standard COBOL - OS/VS COBOL Version 1 - circa 1977 - implemented
1968 standard COBOL, plus even more IBM extensions - added VSAM support
for Indexed files

second standard COBOL - OS/VS COBOL Version 2 - circa 1978 - implemented
both 1968 and 1974 standard COBOL plus even more IBM extensions.  Had a
switch to deal with a small number of items which were in conflict between
the two standards.

second standard COBOL - VS COBOL II Release 1, 1.1, 2.0 - circa 1984 -
1985 - implemented only 1974 standard COBOL plus a set of IBM extensions.
Some long standing extensions were dropped, others (primarily constructs
expected to be in 1985 standard) were added.  This was a total
re-implementation of COBOL, all new code in compiler.

third standard COBOL - VS COBOL II Release 3, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0 - implemented
either equivalent to Release 2.0 of the compiler, or a 1985 (plus
extensions of course) compliant compiler.

third standard COBOL - COBOL/370 Release 1.x.x - implements either the
same VS COBOL II Release 2.0 equivalent or a 1985 compliant compiler.
Intrinsic functions were added.  Run-time no longer licensed as part of
compiler package.  Uses common runtime for all MVS languages - LE/370.

third standard COBOL - COBOL for MVS and VM Release 2.0 - another name
change.  Really next release of COBOL/370 1.x.x, with Object Oriented
COBOL constructs added (but they are added as extensions since OO has not
yet been standardized).

Now that I have explained all of this, I will bet that what you are really
interested in is PC COBOL - Oh well....   anyway in the world of COBOL you
have "which standard" (1968, 1974, 1985) issues, which implementation,
which platform, etc, etc issues to deal with.

Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Quote:

>Can anyone out there point out the major differences in COBOL I and
>COBOL II to me?  I'm just learning COBOL and I'm kind of confused about
>this right now.

End-if, end-if and....END-IF!!!

Twas my saviour!

Peter.

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Quote:

>>Can anyone out there point out the major differences in COBOL I and
>>COBOL II to me?  I'm just learning COBOL and I'm kind of confused about
>>this right now.
>End-if, end-if and....END-IF!!!
>Twas my saviour!

End-If, End-Perform, End-Read, etc. - these are nice, especially the
End-If as stated above.
No more Exhibit, have to use the archaic Display.
No more Transform, but I always used the more powerful Inspect anyway.
Initialize is new, but I recommend not using it - it's too much of a
hog.
Functions are new.

I am sure there is more, but I don't have a migration manual handy.

Tue, 02 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Quote:

>>Can anyone out there point out the major differences in COBOL I and
>>COBOL II to me?  I'm just learning COBOL and I'm kind of confused about
>>this right now.

COBOL I is the informal name often used to refer to OS/VS COBOL, which was
IBM's mainframe compiler to support the ANSI '74 standard. COBOL II refers
to the VS COBOL II compiler which (after Release 2) supports the ANSI '85
standard. As you can see from some of the posts to this thread, there were
substantial changes to the language in the '85 standard. If you simply
learn that version you should have a lot less to "un-learn".

In 1989, ANSI/ISO ammended the '85 standard to include intrinsic
functions. IBM only supports these functions in it's NEW compiler. This
compiler was initially named COBOL/370. The most recent release (release
2) of this compiler was renamed "COBOL for MVS & VM".

The jump from COBOL II to COBOL/370 was relatively minor (basically the
addition of intrinsic functions and two new reserved words) from a
language viewpoint. The significant jump was in the run-time library.
COBOL/370 (and its later releases) uses the Language Environment (LE)
product for a runtime library.

LE (originally LE/370, now LE for MVS & VM) is a common runtime library
for all the new IBM compilers (COBOL, PL/I, C). LE may also be used for a
runtime library for earlier versions of these languages. LE also supports
runtime for fortran and, of course, Assembler programs can have access to
the LE routines.

In addition to the runtime library aspect, LE provides a common set of
callable services to implement support features consistently across
programming languages; services such as: messaging; condition (error)
trapping and handling; dynamic storage allocation, use, and freeing;
mathematical / scientific / business functions; and date and time
services, including some services that can help with the year 2000 issue.

The jump from COBOL/370 to COBOL for MVS & VM was more dramatic, from a
COBOL language perspective. This release 2 version of the compiler added a
raft of new capabilities: local-storage; recursive programs;
null-terminated literals; better parameter passing and receiving abilities
to help with communications between COBOL and C programs; external program
names longer than 8 characters; external program names that are lower- or
mixed-case; and, most amazing, support for Object-oriented COBOL.

Most of the new features come from the evolving standard due to be
formalized by the end of next year (COBOL '97). Since the standard is not
fixed yet, IBM bet that the portions they included in their new release
will remain in the final version of the standard. They did this because
business reasons required early support for some of these features.

So, there's a long-winded answer to your short question. Probably more
than you wanted to know.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Denver, Colorado
USA

telephone: 800-993-8716
or:        303-393-8716
fax:       303-393-8718

Wed, 03 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences in Cobol 1 and Cobol 2

Quote:

> Can anyone out there point out the major differences in COBOL I and
> COBOL II to me?  I'm just learning COBOL and I'm kind of confused about
> this right now.

> Jerry

Most of the changes in COBOL II are oriented towards more readable,
structured source code.  Most also produce performance gains, and a
large amount of effort was devoted to making the interfaces between
COBOL and CICS/DB2 easier to use.

The scope terminators, like END-IF, END-PERFORM, END-EVALUATE, etc tend
to make code much more readable.

The addition of an inline PERFORM  ...  END-PERFORM code structure can
save a lot of overhead associated with simple tasks like clearing
tables, as well as reducing Page/Screen flipping when trying to follow a
program's logic.

The EVALUATE ... END-EVALUATE case structure can help to eliminate those
nested IF statements that everyone finds confusing.

You really should get ahold of either the IBM Manuals on COBOL II or
pick up a good book on the subject, because all of us that have replied
couldn't possibly address the full scope of the changes made.

Good Luck!

Thu, 04 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Difference between COBOL II and COBOL/370

2. Differences between COBOL 74 and COBOL 85 - where can I find a list ?

3. Differences between VS COBOL II and COBOL for MVS and VM

4. Differences between Cobol and Cobol II (Mainframe)

5. Difference between Cobol and AS/400 Cobol

6. VS COBOL and COBOL/370 differences?

7. COBOL COBOL COBOL

8. COBOL//COBOL//COBOL

9. COBOL COBOL COBOL

10. COBOL-COBOL-COBOL

11. difference between pc COBOL,os COBOL & VS COBOL

12. MicroFocus and IBM object-cobol differences