MF Visual Object COBOL odbc complient?
Author Message
 MF Visual Object COBOL odbc complient?

Is Micro Focus's new Visual Object COBOL for Windows 95 ODBC compatible?
The help file says that you can use embedded SQL or use a vendor provided
API. Is a 'vendor provided API' the same as ODBC?

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Visual Object COBOL odbc complient?

Quote:

>  Is Micro Focus's new Visual Object COBOL for Windows 95 ODBC compatible?
>  The help file says that you can use embedded SQL or use a vendor provided
>  API. Is a 'vendor provided API' the same as ODBC?

I think they're referring to the API provided with the DBMS.  For instance,
Oracle provides both E/SQL and the "Oracle Call Interface" -- an API. All the
major DBMS's have one.  We have successfully used the APIs for Oracle,
Sybase, Ingres, Informix and DB2/6000.

They are all a little different.  BUT there is a convergence towards the
SQL/92 standard "Call Level Interface" or CLI.  This is an industry standard
that Microsoft based ODBC on (they took an open standard and made it into a
"Microsoft standard").  CLI and ODBC are very similar.

DB2/6000 supports CLI today.  I have heard that Informix does but I don't
know it for a fact.  Sybase is also close; the Sybase API strongly influenced
the CLI spec.

-- Gary

Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                              Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Circle                                   Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, {*filter*}ia 22033

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Info on ODBC drive for MF Object Cobol

2. MF Visual Object Cobol

3. Help with MF Visual Object Cobol

4. MF Visual Object COBOL - Love it, hate it, love it

5. MF Visual Object COBOL Ripoff

6. ODBC Driver for MF-COBOL

7. MF Cobol and ODBC - Info Required

8. MF COBOL, SQL Server & ODBC