Old Mainframe program
Author Message
 Old Mainframe program

About 15 years ago, someone printed out a picture of the Moon and the Mona
Lisa using an IBM mainframe printer.  I have long since lost these printouts
and wish to recover them.  Has anyone ever heard of these?  If so, could you
reproduce the output ( or send me the program) ?

These picture were text-based and could only be recognized from about 5 feet
from the listing; otherwise, it looked like a bunch of letters and numbers
printed on the green-bar paper.

Bill

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Old Mainframe program

Quote:
>About 15 years ago, someone printed out a picture of the Moon and the Mona
>Lisa using an IBM mainframe printer.  I have long since lost these printouts
>and wish to recover them.  Has anyone ever heard of these?  If so, could you
>reproduce the output ( or send me the program) ?

>These picture were text-based and could only be recognized from about 5 feet
>from the listing; otherwise, it looked like a bunch of letters and numbers
>printed on the green-bar paper.

I remember them from when I worked on ICL mainframes - they were
'engineer test programs' supposedly for testing the printers.

There were several, including (if I remember correctly) one that
printed a calender.

Unfortunately, I never managed to aquire copies and even if I had, I
doubt that the 1900 series binaries would run on anything available
today - pity I liked the machine. We only saw them as binaries -
AFAIK sources weren't issued to the field engineers.

Brian

Brian W Spoor MBCS
Chartered Information Systems Practitioner
Friday Computer Services          Phone: +44-(0)1803 852625

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Old Mainframe program
At the place where I once work, these pictures were each a member in a
directory file with a record length of 133 chars.  The first character of
each line was the carriage control.  For each printed line of Mona it may
have taken 4 lines from the data file.  We used iebgener to print it.  To
recreate it, you need a printer that uses the carriage control otherwise
you are out of luck.  Oh yeah, the 4 lines would be printed on top of each
other, before advancing one paper print line.

Tim.............................

Quote:
> About 15 years ago, someone printed out a picture of the Moon and the
Mona
> Lisa using an IBM mainframe printer.  I have long since lost these
printouts
> and wish to recover them.  Has anyone ever heard of these?  If so, could
you
> reproduce the output ( or send me the program) ?

> These picture were text-based and could only be recognized from about 5
feet
> from the listing; otherwise, it looked like a bunch of letters and
numbers
> printed on the green-bar paper.

> Bill

Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking For Old Mainframe Hardware/Language Specs

2. WTB: old Digital DEC PDP-8 Mainframe

3. Old-time mainframe programmer is newby to Intel Fortran and has questions

4. Mainframe Programming Chat Rooms?

5. US-WA Mainframe Programming

6. VSAM Programming in COBOL vs Assembler on IBM Mainframe

7. Accessing Different DB2 instances thru One COBOL Program on Mainframe

8. US-PA-Pittsburgh-Entry Level Mainframe Programming (Perm) - CTG

9. US-NY-Buf, Syr, Alb-Entry Level Mainframe Programming (Perm) - CTG

10. MAINFRAME PROGRAMMING JOBS JOBS JOBS !!!

11. Mainframe Programming Opportunities - Not!

12. IBM Mainframe COBOL - getting JOBNAME, STEPNAME, TCB, PROGRAM-NAME, Job Number, etc