File Editor
Author Message
 File Editor

I have a question.

I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).

Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

Quote:

>I have a question.
>I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
>file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
>puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
>but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).
>Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
>editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?

At the risk of being flamed to death: ed, vi, spf, etc are all good choices.
Some people like EMACS, but I could never feel comfortable there.  I maintain
400 COBOL programs with vi on a PC (Actually it is a bit of freeware called
elvis.exe).  This brings me to the point, what ever you really KNOW is a great
editor.  I have seen people do really BLACK MAGIC with ed!

During the last two weeks I have fooled around with WORDBASIC, the WORD 6.0
macro language.  Now I have only written filters with this as of yet, but I
think that you could use WORD as an extremely powerful editor.  WORDBASIC makes
it very extensible.  If you can not do something, write an editing routine to do
it!  I have written some LEX-like (and awk-like or perl-like) macros which
really sing.

Has anyone used WORD as a program editor?

PS I too hate the concept of a development environment.  Since I work with a
number of languages, I find it better just to stick with vi for the source code.

Robert Schuldenfrei
S. I. Inc.
32 Ridley Road
Dedham, MA  02026
Voice: (617) 329-4828
FAX:   (617) 329-1696

WWW:    http://www.tiac.net/users/tangaroa/index.html

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

Quote:

> >I have a question.
> >I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
> >file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
> >puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
> >but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).
> >Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
> >editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?
> At the risk of being flamed to death: ed, vi, spf, etc are all good choices.
> Some people like EMACS, but I could never feel comfortable there.  I maintain

This is not a flame ;-) but ... I get the impression that the original post
was relating to *data*file editors as opposed to source code editors.  The
things that MicroFocus datafile editor, file-aid and SPF/PC have in common
is that they can manipulate MicroFocus fixed and variable length datafiles
in both ASCII and EBCDIC.  The datafile editor and FileAid also have the
capability of mapping records using COBOL structures.

To answer the original post - as far as I am aware there are no othjer PC
products that do this (particularly the mapping facility).  But I am
interested in hearing if anybody knows differently ...

Matt

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

Try MultiEdit by American {*filter*}netics. It is great for almost any language,
and it costs a lot less. Their website is www.am{*filter*}.com. I have been
using it at work for a couple of months, I will not even use the mainframe
editor anymore.

Rob

Quote:
> I have a question.

> I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
> file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
> puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
> but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).

> Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
> editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?

> Thanks in advance

> Dave

Wed, 19 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

I used KEDIT by Mansfield Software Group many years ago and found it
quite similar to IBM's VM/CMS XEDIT product, which in my opinion is the
best of IBM's mainframe editor offerings.

You can find more information on Kedit at
http://www.kedit.com/

Quote:

> I have a question.

> I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
> file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
> puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
> but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).

> Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
> editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?

> Thanks in advance

> Dave

Thu, 20 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

check out www.deskware.com

|> Try MultiEdit by American {*filter*}netics. It is great for almost any language,
|> and it costs a lot less. Their website is www.am{*filter*}.com. I have been
|> using it at work for a couple of months, I will not even use the mainframe
|> editor anymore.
|>
|> Rob
|>

|> > I have a question.
|> >
|> > I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
|> > file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
|> > puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
|> > but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).
|>

|> > Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
|> > editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?
|> >
|> > Thanks in advance
|> >
|> > Dave

Fri, 21 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

Quote:

> I have a question.

> I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
> file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware
> puts out a file editor for the PC that emulates FILEAID on the mainframe,
> but they wont sell me less than 15 copies of the thing (at $1,000 per).

> Does anyone know of another product that can be used on the PC to do file
> editing, easier that the MicroFocus editor, or SPFPC?

Surely FILEAID is for data files, particularly RECFM V ones which ISPF
chokes
on.

I use KEDIT for program editing; great if you already know CMS/XEDIT,
fairly
easily learnt if you don't, and it has REXX subset macro language.
Basically
it's very configurable & has mouse-control. It can colour changed lines
but
not synax elements (there is a Win3.1 version that can but not COBOL
IFAIK).

yours, Patrick

Fri, 28 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 File Editor

Quote:

> > I have a question.

> > I use MicroFocus to do mainframe development on my PC.  MicroFocus has a
> > file editor.  It's sorta "kludgy", but it's ok.   I know that Compuware

I agree MF's editor is at best kludgy.  I have a few other words for it.

I've primarily used SPF/PC from CTC and I just visited their WEB site
and saw the info on SPF/DE.  Looks pretty good.

the Web address is  - http://www.command-technology.com/

Good luck

Sun, 30 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. RES FILE EDITOR!