A rose by any other name ...
Author Message
 A rose by any other name ...

(Note intended for IBM mainframe COBOL-ites; others will probably be bored
or worse.)

I am awfully tired of having to type out in notes and posts

    "COBOL for MVS & VM or COBOL for OS/390 & VM"

Does anyone have a good short-hand way of referring to these (the current
strategic IBM mainframe COBOLs)?

I don't know why IBM didn't go from COBOL/370 to COBOL/390 - but my guess is
that this was due to the lack of an OS/390 equivalent for VM.

The best name that I have come up with so far is

    "COBOL for this and that"

This could have the nickname "C-TAT" (pronounced "See-tat").  I know it
should be CfTAT - but I just can't get myself to say "Seef-tat".

Anyone else out there have any better suggestions?

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A rose by any other name ...

Quote:

> (Note intended for IBM mainframe COBOL-ites; others will probably be
> bored or worse.)

> I am awfully tired of having to type out in notes and posts

>     "COBOL for MVS & VM or COBOL for OS/390 & VM"

C-TAT certainly sounds like a nice techie-sounding name, but will anyone
outside of this NG know what we're talking about?  And IBM just doesn't
have the requisite sense of humor to go with a name like that!

Perosnally, I still haven't given up referring to "C-TAT" as COBOL/370!!
How about COBOL/ES?  ("ES" standing for Enterprise Systems).

Regards,
Bal
--

http://www.geocities.com/~oberoi/mainfrme.html
-----

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A rose by any other name ...

Quote:

> > (Note intended for IBM mainframe COBOL-ites; others will probably be
> > bored or worse.)

> > I am awfully tired of having to type out in notes and posts

> >     "COBOL for MVS & VM or COBOL for OS/390 & VM"

> C-TAT certainly sounds like a nice techie-sounding name, but will anyone
> outside of this NG know what we're talking about?  And IBM just doesn't
> have the requisite sense of humor to go with a name like that!

> Perosnally, I still haven't given up referring to "C-TAT" as COBOL/370!!
> How about COBOL/ES?  ("ES" standing for Enterprise Systems).

> Regards,
> Bal
> --

> http://www.geocities.com/~oberoi/mainfrme.html
> -----
> "The universe is full of magical things,
> patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts

  While I understand why you want a shorthand, I would caution you...
IBM has admitted to "screwing up" the names of the previous versions of
COBOL in various documentation. This has caused a major communication
problem for me with my several "thousands" of COBOL programmers - in that I
am not always sure what version of COBOL they think they are using, as
opposed to the version that are really using, as opposed to the version that
they SHOULD be using.

When I need to use a "shorthand" for the new version, I refer to it as

which later gets changed (via a mass change) to the published text of "COBOL
for MVS".

The three names I refer to most often are:

OS/VS COBOL
COBOL VS II
COBOL for MVS

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. A rose by any other name

2. Standard, Portable, and calling a "rose a rose"

3. Rational Rose OLE Automation problem

4. APL texts (Gilman and Rose)

5. OBJECT MODELLER, RATIONAL ROSE, SMALLTALK - TORONTO CONTRACT 12 months

6. OBJECT MODELLER, RATIONAL ROSE, SMALLTALK - TORONTO CONTRACT 12 months

7. OBJECT MODELLER, RATIONAL ROSE, SMALLTALK - TORONTO CONTRACT 12 months

8. Gilman & Rose: Apl, an Interactive Approach

9. Rose Link for VW5i.4

10. Smalltalk popularity rising???

11. Rational Rose & Visual Works 5i.1