Brief REDWOOD status report.
Author Message
 Brief REDWOOD status report.

Thanks again to everyone who emailed or posted suggestions on
COBOL processing.  These helped a lot and we have the COBOL
pulldown working.

Like all software projects REDWOOD is overdue; the requirements
are drifting (DRIFTWOOD?); our costs have spun completely out of
control.

We've decided to abandon the S/370 assembler language and C/C++
code generators.  The stubs will remain in the executable and
they will generate source but there will be a disclaimer that
"This is not production code and not under warrentee in this
version."   COBOL, PL/I, and 'Documentation' will be our
priority.

We are seriously considering issuing the V1.0 product as either
freeware or shareware or perhaps *something* like Fujitsu
COBOL, where the full product carries a realistic price but for
you, for 90 days, we're waiving the license fee.... ...and by the
way, if you want support, here's a price schedule.

So what is REDWOOD?  I haven't hyped it up for a while.  REDWOOD
was originally named PrintRuler.  It's software that lays a
virtual printer spacing ruler on a hexadecimal dump of an EBCDIC
file.  It has a compiler built in that understands S/370 data
types and it locates, types, and names the data fields within the
file;  it especially looks for date fields in data.

The output side is more state engine code.  We have generators
for COBOL, PL/I, Documentation, C/C++, and some S/370 Assembler.

We now have 1.5 man-years invested.  There are three of us
working on the code (albeit parttime).   We average 20+ years on
S/370 and 10 years on C/C++.   Two of us have M.S.'s in Computer
Science, our tester has a PhD.  <I mention this to offer a hint
as to the QUALs needed to build something like this.>  One of my
fears is that rates will spool up so fast and high that my
State Engineer and Tester will quit the project.

H*ll, when rates hit $400/hour, I might abandon the project.  <By
my guesstimate, that will be this fall or winter at the latest.
So the race is on, will we finish REDWOOD before then?  We're
only 4-5 months behind schedule.>

By the way, Y2K just made the cover of Newsweek and the Polish
Rocket Company is running non-stop Y2K ads on the radio in
Washington DC.  < ... about how they have the solution,  COBOL,
no problem, they say. >

Maybe we'll see $400/hour this summer...  ...isn't it great?

Cory Hamasaki   "Have you hugged a geek today?"

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief REDWOOD status report.

       <snip>

Quote:

> So what is REDWOOD?  I haven't hyped it up for a while.  REDWOOD
> was originally named PrintRuler.  It's software that lays a
> virtual printer spacing ruler on a hexadecimal dump of an EBCDIC
> file.  It has a compiler built in that understands S/370 data
> types and it locates, types, and names the data fields within the
> file;  it especially looks for date fields in data.
> By the way, Y2K just made the cover of Newsweek and the Polish
> Rocket Company is running non-stop Y2K ads on the radio in
> Washington DC.  < ... about how they have the solution,  COBOL,
> no problem, they say. >

> Maybe we'll see $400/hour this summer...  ...isn't it great?

> Cory Hamasaki   "Have you hugged a geek today?"

    Have you given any thought to becoming a writer? Someone has to
document this "Y2K CRISIS" from the programmer's perspective.
IMHO You seem to do that really well. I like the "Weather Reports", so
much juicier than the all the SPAM and "FINAL-EXAM  desperation posts"
that the newsgroup has been getting lately <G>.
---  Did I see you on C-Span a few months back trying to speak about the
Urgency of the Y2K problem ?

--
"The light at the end of the tunnel is... the headlamp of a fast approaching train!"--Wile E. Coyote

Mon, 15 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief REDWOOD status report.

Cory,

Where and who are these companies that are offering these hi rates?

Regards, -= Lou =-

Quote:
> Thanks again to everyone who emailed or posted suggestions on
> COBOL processing.  These helped a lot and we have the COBOL
> pulldown working.

> H*ll, when rates hit $400/hour, I might abandon the project.  <By
> my guesstimate, that will be this fall or winter at the latest.
> So the race is on, will we finish REDWOOD before then?  We're
> only 4-5 months behind schedule.>

> By the way, Y2K just made the cover of Newsweek and the Polish
> Rocket Company is running non-stop Y2K ads on the radio in
> Washington DC.  < ... about how they have the solution,  COBOL,
> no problem, they say. >

> Maybe we'll see $400/hour this summer...  ...isn't it great?

> Cory Hamasaki   "Have you hugged a geek today?"

Tue, 16 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief REDWOOD status report.

Quote:
>Cory,

>Where and who are these companies that are offering these hi rates?

>Regards, -= Lou =-

The hi rates are guesses at the future.  There is a discussion
raging on deJager's listserv on the question of why COBOL
salaries have gone from $45K/year to $75K/year but most companies
are not working on the problem...  Why have consulting rates spun
up but it doesn't look like the companys are doing any work.
Consulting rates have gone from $50/hour to $100/hour
*depending*.

The answer appears to be that there are not a lot of qualified
legacy programmers and that a little demand is enough to drive
the rates through the roof.   Given that it takes years to make a
COBOL-head, especially one who can debug CICS without knocking
over the furniture, I expect rates to blast through the roof in
the next 6 months to year.

Why $400/hour?  It's just a number but it's also the number that
the TIER-ONE consultants get on a regular basis.   Who are the
TIER-ONE consultants?  They are the geek-arm of the big-six
accounting firms, IBM, Amdahl, professors from top universities
who moonlight, and very soon... ...go to the bathroom... ...look
in the mirror... there... that's a TIER-ONE consultant...

Help me with this, Lee L.,  we've got to get these geeks over
their low self-esteem.   Repeat after me, COBOL-heads don't work
for three hots and a flop.   We expect, we will be paid a living
rate.  Today is Y2K minus 942.

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. GNU Extension Language -- A very brief status report.

2. GNU Extension Language -- A very brief status report.

3. APL96, a brief report

4. APL96, a brief report

5. PAL Report Brief for Aug 95

6. PAL Report Brief for Aug 95

7. Redwood users?

8. Redwood users?

9. REDWOOD demo Saturday April 26th.

10. FW: Status reports

11. Status reports

12. EIFFEL for Windows: status report (summary of replies)